Options

Images on CD for your client?

ecphotomanecphotoman Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
edited June 4, 2012 in Digital Darkroom
I'm wondering how you go about that.
Usually I export pictures at full size with minimal sharpening.

I have to shoot a family members wedding in a few days and I'm wondering how most people handle this.
Do you just export from the original raw files to full size jpegs, or do you resize to a particular size, or do you provide more than one size?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2012
    ecphotoman wrote: »
    I'm wondering how you go about that.
    Usually I export pictures at full size with minimal sharpening.

I have to shoot a family members wedding in a few days and I'm wondering how most people handle this.
    Do you just export from the original raw files to full size jpegs, or do you resize to a particular size, or do you provide more than one size?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It all depends on what you have agreed to. If you agreed to full size export them full size full quality JPEG. Some jobs I give pics that are 1000px wide. Some are full size. In the end what do they expect?
  • Options
    ecphotomanecphotoman Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2012
    Zerodog wrote: »
    It all depends on what you have agreed to. If you agreed to full size export them full size full quality JPEG. Some jobs I give pics that are 1000px wide. Some are full size. In the end what do they expect?

Well they haven't set any. I've just agreed to give them files on CD for them to have them printed them selves.

I'm not giving them prints because I'm doing it for free and am already out money on rentals and extra odds and ends I had to buy for the gig.

I'm mainly doing it for the experience so I can get better and they are broke and can't afford a photographer otherwise.

Being that there are no set expectations, what would you recommend?

sent from mobile
  • Options
    WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2012
    Since you agreed to the files specifically for the purposes of printing, I'd say give them the full res files.

It would also be a good idea for you to include a release, both on paper and on the disk, in JPG form, that they can show to any labs they might use for printing. Some consumer printing places are touchy about printing pics that even look professional, and won't do it until they get a written release.

And family or not, write out a contract and have both parties sign it. You're doing this to gain experience - getting a signed contract EVERY SINGLE TIME you shoot professionally, even if you're working gratis, is part and parcel of being a pro photographer. It protects both parties, and also helps to avoid misunderstandings, since what you are obligated to provide is spelled out in the contract in detail, and you will go over the contract with them when they sign it so they know what to expect and you know what they expect and nobody is surprised.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"