Eagles, Seabeck WA

RobbugRobbug Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
edited June 11, 2015 in Wildlife
I posted this over at http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1192532 and thought since I haven't posted in a very long time here at Dgrin, I'd make a dual post. If you have seen this one already, I apologize. I normally do not dual site post but I had such a great time with this one I wanted to share in my new found sub section of photography. Lets hope I don't get into Nude and Glamour as my wife would revoke all of my photographic tools :D

As to my excitement when I was taking my first shots and I captured the below sequence I seriously almost didn't get it as I had no idea birds could fly the way the did. I was totally entranced :) I hope you get some inkling from what I saw.

((copied post))

I rented a 100-400mm lens to attempt to catch the transit of Venus on Jun 5th. Being a resident in the Pacific Northwest, I decided to try the lens on birding. I have never seriously taken photos of birds in flight but today was definitely one to make me think I may have to invest in a nice super telephoto. Anyways:

I was following the upper eagle shortly after it had caught a small fish and was gaining altitude when the lower eagle flew in from above and inverted to close the distance. I almost stopped my sequence to just watch. Glad I did not.
Eagles_Seabeck_WA_2012%202.jpg

Here they locked claws with the first eagle losing its grip on its prize.
Eagles_Seabeck_WA_2012%203.jpg

Still locked, they began to tumble mid-air.
Eagles_Seabeck_WA_2012%204.jpg

And still in the tumble.
Eagles_Seabeck_WA_2012%205.jpg

Disengaged, the defending eagle dove for the fallen morsel.
Eagles_Seabeck_WA_2012%206.jpg

To the victor, the spoils.
Eagles_Seabeck_WA_2012%207.jpg

Finally just a shot of a soaring eagle that was kind enough to get in close.
Eagles_Seabeck_WA_2012%201.jpg

Things I learned:
1. The 100-400mm is nice...but, I can now understand why serious birders have prime super zooms. I stayed at 400 pretty much the whole time. And I can see the image quality is considerably better from other photographers with prime super zooms.
2. If you have an extra camera and medium zoom, have it ready for when the eagles get under your range. They will and chuckle when you can't focus on them.
3. While the 100-400mm is compatible with teleconverters, for birding it is not as practical as one may think. Attempting to manually zoom while tracking is difficult and best left to those who know what the heck they are doing.
4. Don't fiddle with other things while out at your spot. Eagles (and I am sure most birds) know when you do this and will do cool things when you are not ready. I lost a few good shots because I was responding to texts from my wife. Next time, I will be conveniently in an area with no reception.
5. Finally, while one may not always be able to fill the viewfinder with the subject, shoot anyways because one may never know what cool web only shots you'll get.
www.refractivephotos.com

The Holy Trinity of Photography - Light, Color, and Gesture

Comments

• Dick on ArubaDick on Aruba Registered Users Posts: 3,484 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2012
    This is one hell of a cool sequence. thumb.gif

Especially the first is amazing.
    Now you know: +400mm next x-mas.
    "Nothing sharpens sight like envy."
    Thomas Fuller.

SmugMug account.
    Website.
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2012
    Marvelous sequence, it must have been some experience to watch it. Nice work. clap.gif

Primes will usually give you better IQ and AF but zooms give you needed flexibility at certain times. I like zooms for flight captures because I like starting at the short end to acquire my subject and then zooming in for the capture.

Birds are evil. They will wait for you to chimp, drink water or anything. Once you take your eye away from the viewfinder they do the most amazing stuff.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • RobbugRobbug Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2012
    This is one hell of a cool sequence. thumb.gif

Especially the first is amazing.
    Now you know: +400mm next x-mas.

Thanks! I didn't have a chance to review the sequence as a whole until I got home. I was pretty lucky to get that shot as my 5dII was wheezing after I had held the shutter button down. I am pretty positive another photographer got some amazing shots as I heard the telltale machine gun sound of a 7d. I am so torn with what to get for a new lens. But it's good to be torn. Lot's of reading and research. Sometimes the most fun is planning what the next purchase is...sometimes :D
    Harryb wrote: »
    Marvelous sequence, it must have been some experience to watch it. Nice work. clap.gif

Primes will usually give you better IQ and AF but zooms give you needed flexibility at certain times. I like zooms for flight captures because I like starting at the short end to acquire my subject and then zooming in for the capture.

Birds are evil. They will wait for you to chimp, drink water or anything. Once you take your eye away from the viewfinder they do the most amazing stuff.

Thank you!
    It was - when they started the tussle I almost jerked my head out of the view-finder. Part of me wishes I had and just enjoyed it. It's tough to know when to get out from behind the camera and just watch and enjoy.

As I stated above, I am torn but I'll have list all the pros and cons to get a good idea.
    I was messing around on my phone queuing up a playlist when a pair flew right in front of me chasing each other. I was so mad. I went back to the camera and they had all landed and stared at me. I stayed in my viewfinder for about 20 minutes and then answered a text - at that moment, 3 decided to take off ... grrrr.
    www.refractivephotos.com

• NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2012
    Very cool. Not as easy at it looks is it?
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
    edited June 7, 2012
    Very cool. Not as easy at it looks is it?

Heh - funny you say that as I went out there today and my ratio from Sunday went to 1/4 of good shots. Ya it looks like I just good lucky. No it is not as easy as you experienced birders/wildlifers make it look :D

Humbled
    www.refractivephotos.com

edited June 7, 2012
    Not sure my hit ratio has improved any with time. But ones and zeros are cheaper than film... ne_nau.gif
    Dan

edited June 7, 2012
    Not sure my hit ratio has improved any with time. But ones and zeros are cheaper than film... ne_nau.gif

That or good setups. While I was out at Seabeck today, I met some great photographers. A gentleman next to me by the name of Jim had a Nikon D800 with a 500mm + 1.4TC shooting. He was kind enough to show me his work on his iPad. He never posts his stuff online. Most of his shots were silly close ups of the most colorful hummingbirds, jays, robins, etc I have ever as seen. I was completely put in my place with what I saw. I looked at him and asked, "What the heck is your secret??" He then showed me his setup. A tree he planted a few years back right outside his kitchen window. I am talking 10 feet at the most from the window pane. Off to the left a complete hummingbird/bird/pterodactyl feeder. His photos were absolutely amazing with no real crazy effort involved. Moral of the story as it has always been. Work smarter not stupider :D

On another note, myself and a few other photographers thought about offering sushi to the eagles to get the crows and eagles closer :) Not sure how the Washington Department of Nature would look upon that but...I have lots of fishing friends :D
    www.refractivephotos.com

edited June 7, 2012
    Robbug wrote: »
    ... myself and a few other photographers thought about offering sushi to the eagles to get the crows and eagles closer...
    Hanging around the fish cleaning table in any marina in AK provides a target rich environment. Legally. Our national bird is a shameless scavenger/thief :D
    Dan

• DorandaDoranda Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited June 11, 2015
    when
    Hi, Is it too late to go see the Eagles? How do you know when to go? Do you just head out when the tide is low? Any info would be helpful.