Options

Finally: adding radio triggers

2»

Comments

• Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2012
    divamum wrote: »

Unfortunately, I use a 580ex now - isn't this the setup that's had all the radio interference issues?

I'm pretty sure they have an easy fix for that. Since my Nikon speedlights don't have that cute quirk, I don't have the details.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2012
    I don't think I can afford them anyway so it's a moot point, but obsessive researcher that I am, just checking rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    They're top of my list at the moment. I'm not quite ready to buy, but they pretty much tick all the boxes, especially with a couple of "personal" reviews from trusted dgrinners thumb.gif
    I was introduced to the pixel kings by a friend who needed rear curtain TTL and they were the only solution for him. They worked perfectly for him until one of the transceivers started to have issues and now, it's totally dead after less than a year of use.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't buy them or that they shouldn't be on the top of your list; i'm just saying there is a reason why I wrote about the quality/longevity issues of various third party manufacturers earlier in this thread.

I really doubt that a perfect, one-solution ratio trigger exists. In some ways, I think they're like camera bags and you'll always be looking for a better one. mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2012
    aktse wrote: »
    I really doubt that a perfect, one-solution ratio trigger exists. In some ways, I think they're like camera bags and you'll always be looking for a better one. mwink.gif

rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2012
    Diva, I've purchased a set of Yongnuo RF-603 triggers/receivers last year and I've been really happy with them. I believe for a set of 4 it was about 60-70$ via an Ebay seller located in the USA. The newest Cactus triggers were my next choice but the price is about double at about 100-120$ for a set of 4. I think they're better suited for use with Speedlites. My only gripe with the RF-603 triggers is that there's no locking mechanism for when its mounted on the camera body's hot-shoe, a simple rubber band fixes that problem though. Overall all of these new triggers should be sufficient for what you need to do, mine are pretty reliable. The only times they exhibited problems is when I decided not to change out the batteries after months of no-use. If you're shooting weddings and such a lot though, best bet will be using Pocket Wizards; they have always been the most reliable but the priciest. They're all a lot of fun to play with though, I've used my set on weddings and in-studio, they're very reliable. They're a good place to start.
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2012
    Thanks! If I decide to go the cheap/disposable-before-buying-PW's route, these are probably the ones I'd go for. Not quite ready to buy yet, but we'll see!

Btw, I don't do weddings, so don't have that kind of time/event-critical pressure for what I do. It's more my own frustration level that needs the reliability rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2012
    :) I used to use cables for flash syncing when I first started, those were pretty reliable. Then I experimented with non-2.4ghz triggers from eBay, those worked indoors well but they had their reliability issues. Then I used the RF-603s by Yongnuo, they're as reliable as cables so long as the batteries were kept charged. I used PocketWizards from time to time when I worked with and assisted a friend during editorial shoots when we were using his gear, I have to say, they're probably the most reliable, but its size was a major turn-off for me (they're huge in comparison!).

These newer 2.4ghz triggers from China are no joke though, they could be 'disposable' but when used correctly, they're pretty reliable equipment. With that said, with whatever you use, I guarantee you'll have loads of fun learning how to strobe. :D The sooner the better though!
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2012
    This is a really good flash triggering guide about the various options.
  • Options
    chrisdgchrisdg Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2012
    Maybe dont put any money into 3rd party triggers and start slowly replacing your existing flashes with the new canon 600ex flashes...wireless, TTL, simplicity, massive reliability. No extra devices to tote around, hook up, extra batteries, dealing with misfires, efc.
    -Chris D.
    http://www.facebook.com/cdgImagery (concert photography)
    http://www.cdgimagery.com (concert photography)
    http://chrisdg.smugmug.com (everything else)

• Options
    edited June 24, 2012
    Great comparison chart, April (mods, should that be a sticky? GREAT link April's got in post 39...)

Chrisdg, yeah, those look fab. But $600 each. To run three of them, I'd be looking at $1800, vs $100-200 of triggers... rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2012
    That's a great link!
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2012
    hey Diva, for once I have a somewhat useful feedback for ya! :D

here is the ones I have currently: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0056LRJ8E/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00

I am about to create a similar thread asking for people's opinions on PW vs CyberSyncs.. aaaand once I get the new triggers, you can have mine.. Just throw me something for them (well, at least the shipping cost! lol)
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2012
    Wow - well they certainly qualify for "cheap and disposable". That's a crazy price.

I'm still vacillating over this - my hunch is I'll go with Pixel Kings, but I'll probably wait until the next shoot comes in and I need them. This is great info, though - so grateful to all the people who chimed in on this thread (and hope it's been helpful for others as well as me!!)
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2012
    FINALLY got around to doing this - have just ordered a Pixel King transmitter and receiver. Just one for now, and if I like them, will add another. I'll report back once I get a chance to play with it!
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2012
    First impressions - I've barely had a chance to open the box and look at the instructions, but thought I'd put batteries in and see what happened.

- cute carrying case (nice because it has places for all the - included - cables)
    - stuck transmitter on 7d and receiver on 580ex. ETTL. Put flash in other room. It worked, first time out. Adjusted output in the camera "external flash" menu. It worked, first time out. If this is the reliability and ease of use? Count me SOLD and already looking for a 2nd receiver!!