DSS #104 - Bugs & Blossoms

sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,959 moderator
edited June 9, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
I am hoping to get out again, but here are a few shots from yesterday. Shooting small moving targets with manual focus, manual exposure, and hand held Canon 60 mm macro lens = challenge, at least for me.

i-HdnDD24-L.jpg

i-pJP2zRw-L.jpg

i-FkzC3V8-L.jpg

Any thoughts on these? Hoping to reprocess some and perhaps get some fresh shots, if I have time. My monitor makes it hard to judge reds, but it looks like I may need to tone down the red blossoms?

Thank you,
gretchen

Comments

• cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2012
    I really like the color contrast in #1 & 3.
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.
  • kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2012
    I like #3 with the position and detail of the moth.
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2012
    I like best #1 and #3 too, but more #1 for the light.
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,959 moderator
    edited June 7, 2012
    Thank you all for your input on these! I went back several times to try again with the blue moth and finally saw it again today. Also found some kind of bee "hanging out." Any thoughts on these new shots?

#4. The Odd Couple or Room for Two (title suggestions welcome)
    i-xTkxsc5-L.jpg

#5. Hanging in There
    i-bcFX7hm-L.jpg

Thank you for your input. Much appreciated!

Gretchen
  • slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,209 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2012
    I like #5 and #3. Hard to pick a favorite between the two. I like the color contrast in #3 a lot, but I really like the composition in #5.

Sherry
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,959 moderator
    edited June 7, 2012
    Sherry, thank you for your input on these. Kinda wishing I had a 100 mm macro just now - to make it easier to get the moth in sharper focus without it's feeling "crowded." But I do like #3 and #5. Won't even think of entering #1 in the challenge because there are similar shots there already, but it is the best shot I have managed to get of an insect in the bee family. May venture out with a different lens to hunt for the blue moth again, if I find time.

Cheers,
    Gretchen
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2012
    3,4,5 but having a hard time on the top pick. Like the contrasting colors in 3, multi subjects in 4 and comp in 5
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
    edited June 9, 2012
    So I entered #3 in the gallery. I think it is a summer azure butterfly. It is rather small, with a one inch wingspan and it seems to flutter by more than settle on a blossom. Thanks to this challenge, I took a little time to notice this insect and learn a bit about it. Thanks, JAG!