Options

Nikon D70S - Mirror Up

WerewolfWerewolf Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
edited June 8, 2012 in Technique
I have read a number of articles that refer to taking shots using a mirror up technique to reduce vibration caused by mirror movement.

The Nikon D70S does have a mirror up feature but try as I might and with manual in hand I cannot figure out how to actually take a picture with the mirror up. The mirror up mode seems to be a maintenance mode that provides access to the CCD behind the mirror for cleaning and not one which can be used to take photos with the mirror locked up.

What am I missing? Can photos be taken using the mirror up mode on the D70S and if so what is the procedure?

Comments

• Options
    SandSand Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited June 5, 2012
    If the D70s operates the same as the D50, the mirror up feature can only be used for sensor cleaning. I understand that you can get some of the same benefits by using the shutter delay (2 - 10 second delay) and a tripod. I haven't tried it myself, however.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2012
    Werewolf wrote: »
    I have read a number of articles that refer to taking shots using a mirror up technique to reduce vibration caused by mirror movement.

The Nikon D70S does have a mirror up feature but try as I might and with manual in hand I cannot figure out how to actually take a picture with the mirror up. The mirror up mode seems to be a maintenance mode that provides access to the CCD behind the mirror for cleaning and not one which can be used to take photos with the mirror locked up.

What am I missing? Can photos be taken using the mirror up mode on the D70S and if so what is the procedure?

Yeah, Like sand mentioned: It's a delay of sorts. The mirror flops up and then the Shutter operates. Mirror back down. and it takes about as long to function as it did to read the sentence I wrote. This function is useful for those long exposures or long lenses.
    tom wise
  • Options
    WerewolfWerewolf Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited June 8, 2012
    Thanks guys... I'll check into the shutter delay feature.