Options

5D Mark III Sensor Issue (?)

OstravaczechOstravaczech Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
edited June 5, 2012 in Cameras
There appears to be sensor discoloration and it's ALWAYS in the lower right corner at high(er) ISO, starting at around 16000 and gets more visible at 51200 and 102400. Not that I will be shooting at such ISO on regular basis but since I bought 3500 dollar camera, I would expect it to be nearly flawless. The files were default processed in DPP. If, indeed, I bought a camera with a faulty sensor, I still have time to return it for a replacement ..... or refund. Can someone, anyone, share thoughts on this?
Thanks,
Ivo

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,213 moderator
    edited June 5, 2012
    What do lower ISO shots (of the same scene) look like? Can you post some? Is the middle number in the serial number sequence a 1 or a 2?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2012
    David_S85 wrote: »
    What do lower ISO shots (of the same scene) look like? Can you post some? Is the middle number in the serial number sequence a 1 or a 2?
    Anything below 12800 appears to be "clean". The middle # on my 5D S/N is 3. Here's similar photo @6400.
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2012
    The 3's are supposed to have already been protected from the "light leak" issue by the black tape. I've seen other posts with exactly the same bright spot, and all in the lower right corner - but all at the H1 and above speeds.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2012
    The 3's are supposed to have already been protected from the "light leak" issue by the black tape. I've seen other posts with exactly the same bright spot, and all in the lower right corner - but all at the H1 and above speeds.

Here's same scene at 25600..... barely visible. The 12800 and lower are clean. RAW->JPG in DPP as is, no adjustment. ALO on @standard.
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2012
    Much better. H1 and H2 are more or less useless anyway. Lots of stuff becomes visible if you pump up the ISO's or the EV's, especially in post.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2012
    Much better. H1 and H2 are more or less useless anyway. Lots of stuff becomes visible if you pump up the ISO's or the EV's, especially in post.
    Thanks! Funny thing - the same shots look much worse in LR4.1, the discoloration is pronounced. Here's the same shot run through LR4.1. Hmmm.....
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,911 moderator
    edited June 5, 2012
    Does this still occur if you cover the viewfinder?
    Does this still occur if you cover the entire back of the camera?
    Does this still occur if you cover the lens barrel?

In other words, see if you can find a place where light might be leaking in. At ISO 102,400 it would not take much light leak to cause that effect. Use a dark towel or a dark jacket, or similar, to provide the cover. Try to block any extraneous light from the above three areas.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums