Senior Portraits

Scott293Scott293 Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
edited June 11, 2012 in People
I shot these last Sunday of a very beautiful young lady and would love to have some feed back on want you think. Thank you in advance for viewing my work.

1)
SAD0583-Edit-Edit-XL.jpg

2)
SAD0629-XL.jpg

3)
SAD0727-XL.jpg

4)
SAD0760-XL.jpg

5)
SAD0777-XL.jpg

6)
SAD0764-XL.jpg

7)
SAD0833-XL.jpg

8)
SAD0843-XL.jpg

9)
SAD0848-XL.jpg

10)
SAD0868-XL.jpg

11)
SAD0838-XL.jpg
Scott Davis

Nikon D70,D2H,D300,Nikkor 300mm f2.8,Nikkor 80-200 f2.8, Nikkor 24-70 AF-S f2.8,Nikkor 50 f1.8

www.ScottDavis.smugmug.com

Comments

• jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2012
    There is some good stuff here but delete 5 and 9 now. Then 11. Also poses with the body square to the camera rarely work well. I like the others. Check out this thread for another idea. In 7 you're lucky she is young and has a relatively tight face, because having the subject look down at the camera can create double-chin and is generally unflattering. I'm no master either, portraits are tough.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2012
    I agree with Jack on everything he said
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2012
    You start and end with some really nice work, congrats. However in the middle it slips but hey it's hard to make every shot a winner. Really nice.
  • BountyphotographerBountyphotographer Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2012
    5, 9, should be deleted.
    6 doesnt do it for me.
    8 is..................not sure but it doesnt work for me either
    The rest are really nice.

Just my 2 cents
    :photo
  • trooperstroopers Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2012
    Some really good ones, some ok ones. 5 and 9 certainly go against traditional portraits, and would receive more applause if they were separated from the set. Re 8, the surrounding environment is lit too much. 1 and 2 are the winners.
  • Scott293Scott293 Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2012
    There is some good stuff here but delete 5 and 9 now. Then 11. Also poses with the body square to the camera rarely work well. I like the others. Check out this thread for another idea. In 7 you're lucky she is young and has a relatively tight face, because having the subject look down at the camera can create double-chin and is generally unflattering. I'm no master either, portraits are tough.

Thank you for your input and I agree on 5 and 9 but 11 I do like. As for being young your right about 7 that's why I shot it that way if she was more full figured I wouldn't have even tried it. Plus my rule on setting up square I feel if they have a nice figure and not EEG shaped you can get away with it,but totally agree with you. And as the 50mm yes I do know that but with her on the trunk I couldn't get close enough. But thanks again as your tips and comments are well taken!!
    Scott Davis

Nikon D70,D2H,D300,Nikkor 300mm f2.8,Nikkor 80-200 f2.8, Nikkor 24-70 AF-S f2.8,Nikkor 50 f1.8

edited June 6, 2012
    Hackbone wrote: »
    You start and end with some really nice work, congrats. However in the middle it slips but hey it's hard to make every shot a winner. Really nice.

Thank you and I know there are a couple weird shots I thought I would try something different but that most times doesn't work. I will post a couple more from the series that I really like. Thanks again for taking the time.
    Scott Davis

edited June 6, 2012
    troopers wrote: »
    Some really good ones, some ok ones. 5 and 9 certainly go against traditional portraits, and would receive more applause if they were separated from the set. Re 8, the surrounding environment is lit too much. 1 and 2 are the winners.

Thank You!! and I know about 5 and 9 and I think your right, the sun over the truck on 5 is the only reason I put it in the set because I thought it came out pretty cool other than that I would have left it out. Thanks again for viewing my work.
    Scott Davis

• jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2012
    In 11 the exposure and lighting are well executed, but I think the pose is awkward and unflattering, particularly to her thighs. I think 5 doesn't work no matter what the context, because I think it makes her look like a dead body. 9 might work in a different context, but not as a senior portrait. A little too "come hither", imo.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
    edited June 8, 2012
    In 11 the exposure and lighting are well executed, but I think the pose is awkward and unflattering, particularly to her thighs. I think 5 doesn't work no matter what the context, because I think it makes her look like a dead body. 9 might work in a different context, but not as a senior portrait. A little too "come hither", imo.

Jack...You are right and I do agree with you on 11 and I have better poses with in the same lighting and 5 the more I look at the more I agree with you. Here are a couple more from this shoot.

1)
    SAD0640-XL.jpg

2)
    SAD0700-XL.jpg

3)
    SAD0854-XL.jpg

4)
    SAD0861-XL.jpg

5)
    SAD0824-XL.jpg
    Scott Davis

• Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2012
    I like the images posted in the second set as a whole better than those in the first. The first has a couple of strong images, but except for 3 I think the second is better.

I think number three of the second set would have been a better image if a light modifier was used to direct the light onto the subject and less on the foreground/surroundings. The light on the grass/weeds is so much brighter than the spectacular looking sky in the background that it just competes to much for attention.

Have you tried a vignette with a gradual fade around the subject in that image?
    edited June 8, 2012
    I like the images posted in the second set as a whole better than those in the first. The first has a couple of strong images, but except for 3 I think the second is better.

I think number three of the second set would have been a better image if a light modifier was used to direct the light onto the subject and less on the foreground/surroundings. The light on the grass/weeds is so much brighter than the spectacular looking sky in the background that it just competes to much for attention.

Have you tried a vignette with a gradual fade around the subject in that image?

Bryce,

First of all thank you!! Points well taken and know I didn't but this is what it looks like doing so.

SAD0854-XL.jpg
    Scott Davis

• Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2012
    Scott293 wrote: »
    Bryce,

First of all thank you!! Points well taken and know I didn't but this is what it looks like doing so.

SAD0854-XL.jpg

clap.gif

I like that BUNCHES better...

Now, I think it could even be kicked up another notch if you did the same but use a layer mask to brush out the vignette from the sky so it retains its original intensity.
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2012
    Above one is a killer....congrats.
    edited June 9, 2012
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Above one is a killer....congrats.

Thank You!!!
    Scott Davis

edited June 9, 2012
    clap.gif

I like that BUNCHES better...

Now, I think it could even be kicked up another notch if you did the same but use a layer mask to brush out the vignette from the sky so it retains its original intensity.

Thank you very much!! One more time.

SAD0854-XL.jpg
    Scott Davis

• SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2012
    Just a comment in case you are ever shooting a girl and horse combo again: make sure that you don't cut off the horse's ears - the owner wouldn't be happy. And, I find it works best if either both horse and girl are looking at the camera - OR girl is looking at horse, regardless of where horse is looking.

Just my 5 cents worth (since the Canadian government is eliminating pennies this year).
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
    edited June 11, 2012
    Snowgirl wrote: »
    Just a comment in case you are ever shooting a girl and horse combo again: make sure that you don't cut off the horse's ears - the owner wouldn't be happy. And, I find it works best if either both horse and girl are looking at the camera - OR girl is looking at horse, regardless of where horse is looking.

Just my 5 cents worth (since the Canadian government is eliminating pennies this year).

Thanks for the five cents :D and yes I know it was killing me on the crop about the ears,I've shot a lot of horse reining shows and defiantly know what you mean thank you.
    Scott Davis