Options

Family portrait

BountyphotographerBountyphotographer Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
edited June 12, 2012 in People
n2-L.jpg
n9-L.jpg

n5-L.jpg

Sorry first time downloading pictures for critic hopefully it will work, be honest and tell me how bad the pictures are. I think this is the best way for me to learn anyway.

I'm doing family portrait for free since Im starting so most of the time people dont have time , children would rather be somewhere else or the sun is REALLY harsh (the sun is really killing me)
I dont use flash most of the time , I know I should .

I did this shot Saturday with my spot meter mode on (ooops), aperture priority canon 30 d 24-70 2.8.
I was shooting sport the day before and forgot toset up the camer to One shot instead of the AI servo which might explain why its not really sharp.
I had a 70-200 2.8 with me but didnt use it.
:photo

Comments

• Options
    edited June 6, 2012
    WOW!!!!!
    No one is replying at allheadscratch.gif
    Are they that badne_nau.gif
    Must the pictures be to a certain standard in this forum in order to have some critics?
    I always thought of this forum as a learning tool where people share one common passion which is photography, was I wrong?
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2012
    I wouldn't take the lack of comments personal Bounty, life sometimes gets in the way. I know I don't always have the time to give comments on every post I look at.

Now, as to your posted images:

I think you set yourself up for a difficult task. It is very hard to produce attractive results of people in harsh open sun. That type of light isn't flattering to most anyone. In addition, if you look at your subjects, you can see some of them squinting because of it. Eyes in portraiture are very important.

Your posing foundation for groups is off to a solid start. I like how you can draw triangles on most all the head placement.

Next time out, try to find some open shade and I think you will see a vast improvement with your finished results.

HTH

Oh and in number one, you were a bit to high. That shot would have looked much more pleasing if your camera was about two feet lower to the ground.

Bryce
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2012
    Thank you for replying.
    You are right indeed, this is why I decided to post my pics, the sun is really harsh and it seems like I dont have a choice because they all want to have a family pictures when the sun is really bright.
    There are not too open shade where I live. Maybe I should start shooting early morning or late afternoon.

Thank you for you input

Bounty
  • Options
    trooperstroopers Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2012
    To be honest, the pictures look they were taken by 'Uncle Bob' with a point and shoot.

I echo Bryce's comments about lighting. I'll add that the posing is very plain and boring (get creative, make it fun!) , and the background is blah (crop tighter, blur it, change location, etc).
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2012
    Yep, you're right that the sun is really harsh, causing squinting, dark eye sockets, very sharp shadows and hot/reflective spots. I agree with Bryce...looking for some open shade would be helpful as well as considering what time of day you're shooting. If time of day can't be helped, then location/shade/equipment must be the next consideration. I'm constantly reminding myself...light to the eyes, light to the eyes. I don't always succeed, but at least that's what I'm aiming for.

I would also consider your backgrounds. I think we have a tendency to place people right up against something, which usually doesn't work out unless it's a great texture that will contribute to the look and feel of the photo (particularly for a close-up shot), or unless the background carries some significance and context is important. This is especially a problem shooting groups where your focus/aperture needs to be deep enough to keep the entire group sharp. In that case, I think (most of the time) there needs to be more separation between subject and background, far enough that it will start to blur at least a little bit with your chosen aperture. Using a longer focal length will also help with this. In #2 and 3, the background is still so much in focus that it is competing with your subjects. (#1 is just neutral and solid, so it isn't as much of an issue.) Watch for mergers...in #3 the man has a tree growing out of his head. In #2, those large plants placed right behind their heads and still in focus make you wonder if they are important somehow, so the photo becomes more about the plants than about the people.

I really like the arrangement of the people in #3. They are close together, heads on different levels yet spaced in a pleasing manner. But they aren't necessarily filling the frame as it seems the background plants are taking up space in the photo and making me wonder, again, about their significance. Sitting as in #1 is usually going to be unflattering to someone and they look disconnected from one another. #2...see how much better it looks when dad has his arm/shoulder behind mom in #3? And the older boy is a bit disconnected from the group in #2.

Clothing colors...there is a wide range here...dark blue to bright white. I don't think everyone needs to match, but if everything else was perfect in the photo, the two white shirts would be popping out and drawing the eye. Staying away from letters/logos is good, too, as your eye just wants to read them. A blend of similar color values helps to keep the focus on the faces.

These are the things that jumped out at me. I am in no way an expert on shooting anything, let alone families, but I hope this was somewhat helpful.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2012
    First of all I m showing these pictures because I thought that they were pretty bad and wanted all the critics that I could get, so thank you for the critics.

Im limited of when to shoot and the location where. There are lots of bushes not allowing me to use a long lens, or the spot where I shoot is very small and can only take 6-7 steps back from where the family is standing. I should choose more carefully the location I guess, this is why the background is often right behind the subject.
    I also told them what to wear, but they didnt listen. The son even showed up with a t-shirt grrrrrrrrrrr. Got to work on the position, yes and use bigger fstops.

Uncle Bob ouch that's bad, well.......... its more margin for me to get better I guess.

Thank you all

Bounty
  • Options
    trooperstroopers Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2012
    Uncle Bob ouch that's bad, well.......... its more margin for me to get better I guess.

Sorry, but you did ask for honesty and wanted to know how bad the pics are. No doubt, you will get better. Just keep shooting smarter.
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2012
    You say you have a flash. Learn how to use it. The best advice I've received is to try and use flash outdoors and not use flash indoors. If you can't find shade, I would try and turn your subjects around so they are not squinting into the sun and then fill with your flash.
  • Options
    YaflyyadieYaflyyadie Registered Users Posts: 558 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2012
    You will get here what you are asking for, The good, the bad and the ugly, in a very professional way from this forum members.
    I was a point and shoot when I joined, after some time, looking back, I have improved enormously compared to the first shots posted by me.
    Listen to the members, try all what they have to share with you and you won't be disappointed.
    Comments are made to make a mark, haven't you hammered your thumb once or twice?, I bet you are more careful now doing it the right way.!!!!!!
    Don't stop, and keep clicking.:photo
    Y.
  • Options
    time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2012
    My votes for morning or evening, looks like you have some nice size hills there, they will block the sun, but still give you plenty of ambient light.
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2012
    Here are some suggestions:

1. Never shoot at this hour again. Ever. Or find some serious shade, I guess, but for now I'd just try shooting closer to sunset (or sunrise if you know crazy people).
    2. Use the lens you have which is appropriate for outdoor portraits more than any other, perhaps...your 70-200. The 24-70 is great if you need to widen up a bit, but I'd step back instead, and flatter everyone more.
    3. The expressions on their faces are one of the worst things here. Ask yourself... Would you want this anywhere in your home?:

n9-L.jpg

4. Learn to use your flash, as others have said. I still wouldn't be doing any sort of portraits in harsh sunlight at all, but with a flash they might not look quite as bad (you'd still need less sun honestly).

5. Why are we shooting at what appears to be at least f/5.6 (8 maybe) for these?

If you're doing this for practice, why are you doing it? If this is really what you want to be doing as a photographer, I think you should do more learning before getting "no charge - test subjects" out in the field. You can try out some self-portraits, or have some friends stand in for you for thirty minutes or something. But, most importantly, practice, read, and study portrait photography by looking at others work, and understanding how it was achieved.

Obviously, don't stop what you're doing. I'm sure your confidence was hurt more by struggling with getting these folks a good image than the comments you'll see here. I know I'm completely out of my comfort zone with posed, outdoor family-type stuff and it's extremely stressful for me.
  • Options
    Scott293Scott293 Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2012
    Everyone else covered just about all I can think of except on #2 and #3 the biggest problem people have that are just starting when shooting one person or a group is cutting hands and feet off, as Bryce said your camera was to high and you cut the children hands off. Another great way to learn is look at other group and family shots from pros on this site comared to yours and keep shooting a lot, practice,practice,practice.
    Scott Davis

Nikon D70,D2H,D300,Nikkor 300mm f2.8,Nikkor 80-200 f2.8, Nikkor 24-70 AF-S f2.8,Nikkor 50 f1.8

www.ScottDavis.smugmug.com
  • Options
    charlesdalycharlesdaly Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2012
    lemons -make lemonade
    I hope this doesn't offend and I'm taking this time only to help you advance, not so much your shooting but you're approach to what you are trying to achieve. You already have an attractive family so let's do them justice (poor souls -joke!) What if you got/have/or buy a cheap white bed sheet (it sounds like you don't use reflectors) and, either with help or with long sticks (bamboo?) rig a simple sail-like filter between the sun and the subjects. (think: a badminton net-type shape) The bushes in your shots look like they could help 'grab' one end of the filter (sheet) and arrange it to come forward from the bush creating a somewhat translucent wall, filtering the sun. When your subjects no longer squint you're on the right path. Control and shaping the available light is key (no pun). Visualize how you want the shot to be and use whatever modifyers you need. Always think beyond the obstacles. Fill flash, as already mentioned will shape and fill. Or another sheet-like reflector could help brighten the shot once the sun is controlled. While honing your skills try bracketing your shots (if you do, make notes re: settings used or you will lose you way and the tests will be a waste of time) You can bracket your fill flash up or down also.

You don't need people to practice. You can practice difficult lighting with a garbage can. Six people? -practice with six garbage cans. Look through magazines and see how people are shot by the pros. Learn to control depth of field. Only shoot in direct high-noon sun if that's your plan.

If you only had available what we see in your shot could you not just change places with them and shoot with the sun behind them?

Gook luck, have fun, never stop shooting.
    Now kindly visit me and don't hold back the crits, we all need that.
    Thanks!
    Charles
    Port Credit. Canada
    http://charlesdalyphotography.com
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2012
    First a personal quirk. I don't like watermarks in the middle of an image and rarely even look at images with large distracting centered watermarks. Yours is pretty subtle but for me still distracting yet I can't read it.

I think others have covered the technical aspects of the images what I would like to add is don't make excuses. Your clients want great photos, they are looking to you to provide that.

So without being over assertive or dictatorial you need to take charge. If your client wants to have their family photos taken in the middle of a field at high noon it's your responsibility to explain why this is a very bad idea. If this is only option they will ever have in their entire life, then it's up to you to figure how to make it work. Get a large diffuser or tent, use flash to fill in some shadows, etc.

Take some photos of people (friends, volunteers, etc) in bright sunlight like the images you posted, and then take photos of the same people in the same clothes in shade or under a large diffuser and show them the difference.

If they still want the photos taken at high noon in the middle of an open field you may want to consider sending them to Wall Mart to buy a disposable camera.

The Wall Mart idea is not a joke. :D

Your clients will never remember they handcuffed you. All they will remember is you took crappy photos.

Sam
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2012
    Bounty, it is your job if your a professional photographer to 1...have the necessary equipment, enough lens, reflectors, small and larger flash units, and most importantly backup equip. 2...explain to the subjects what is necessary in clothing.....ie darker, earthtone clothes outside, no bright colors or big patterns, dress from your head to your toes, if wearing a dress wear darker hose, guys, make sure your jacket will button, etc. 3. direct them for the time of day for proper photography and might as well throw location in. 4. some basic ideas in posing. when doing families try to arrange heads to make triangles, a shorter persons eye level looks great next to a slightly taller persons mouth level. Look for something to sit or stand on to create flow in head heights.

In your photo #1 look at the "racoon eyes" you've given them with the sun being where it was. the two white shirts really grab your attention. Turn the image upside down and see where you attention goes.....right to the shirts. Never let people entertwine the fingers.....looks like little sausages. Posing is stagnet with the line up.
    Hope some of that helps.

In pose #2 the above items apply plus the plant leaves are also screaming for attention plus the lighter dirt color below.

There are plenty of posts to read on posing and lighting. Go to Youtube and search for photography lessons. There is a ton of stuff to watch. The lastolite company has some great videso also.

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2012
    Sadly, I agree with all your comments.
    I wasn't charging anything to these people, but I feel bad that it couldlnt come out better than that.
    I will be more careful next time and will practice first with volunteer before bringing a family for portrait.

Thank you

Bounty
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2012
    Try using a reflector, put the subject's backs to the sun and bounce the light back to the faces. Sometimes shooting on a light colored surface like cement can help bring some even light to the face.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2012
    Wow I have never been so glad about critics concerning my pictures Laughing.gif thank you.
    I reread all the comments made but most of the time it didnt apply to these particular shots.
    I could not position my subject in other way than I did because of the location. Facing away from the sun would have cars or building in the pictures, reflectors is not possible since Im by myself. Dress code almost made them laugh when I mentioned it,.........................
    Still I learned a lot form most of your comments and will try shooting when the sun is not so harsh, be more strict on clothing, get more familiar with my Canon 580 flash....................................

Be in charge, I got it

Thank you all

Bounty