Sleeping...

jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
edited June 8, 2012 in Street and Documentary
Quincy T encouraged me to post some of my work here. (Thanks, bro'.)

I took this shot in a little place in Manila, Philippines called the "Quiapo" area. This is where the famous Quiapo Church is and also the home of the Black Nazarene Statue. I was waiting for my 50mm lens to be repaired. Since I have about 2 - 3 hours of free time, I decided to walk around and look for interesting subjects to capture. In a small corner, I saw this little boy sleeping soundly while his mom is selling religious figurines (the ones beside him on the left). I thought it would look stronger in B&W. Thank you very much for viewing.

7343105704_defe33b958_b.jpg

Nikon D70, 18-70mm lens, ISO 200, f/5.6 at 1/25 second.
Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/

Comments

• michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2012
    I'm conflicted how to comment on this. It has an aesthetic going for it that I like but there's not a context to get going on other than what you've written. I'm cool with that, except that even your text leaves me somewhat confused to interpret this as poverty making ends meet, or a young kid taking an opportunistic nap. I guess I've spent too much time in impoverished areas.

I've looked at a few of your other stuff and I like it. Nice. I just keep trying to weave it into a sense of place. Maybe my fault.

Would you be willing to put up a short series here. Three or four shots?
  • Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2012
    michswiss wrote: »
    I'm conflicted how to comment on this. It has an aesthetic going for it that I like but there's not a context to get going on other than what you've written. I'm cool with that, except that even your text leaves me somewhat confused to interpret this as poverty making ends meet, or a young kid taking an opportunistic nap. I guess I've spent too much time in impoverished areas.

I've looked at a few of your other stuff and I like it. Nice. I just keep trying to weave it into a sense of place. Maybe my fault.

Would you be willing to put up a short series here. Three or four shots?

Jen, I'd agree with you almost and say that a wider angle or a "wider angle" (subjectively) would be more appropriate here, but I did think this was a pretty interesting street photograph that stands on its own (certainly not something I wander past daily), well composed and converted, and wanted to attempt conversion of Jiro to the best subforum on DGrin.
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2012
    Ha! I know Jiro's posted a lot in the People section. Hey, people is what I do as well. So I can understand. Still, Doco includes story telling, at least in my addled mind. The shot itself is pleasing, if tight. Thus the thought of a few extra images to fill out the story. Something including the Mom for example? (I can hear B.D. praising ambiguity as I type this...)
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2012
    My impression is that these are almost two separate photographs (though good ones) as the shooting angle does not link them well.