Options

Nikon D700 Prices Dropping Fast?

lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
edited June 8, 2012 in Cameras
I am interested in buying a Nikon D700 with low shutter count and shopping on Craigslist.

I have noticed prices dropping in the last few months.

Has the release of the D800 and the rumored D600 are about to make the price drop considerably?

A 10,000 or less shutter count D700 is now being offered for $1,800 or so.

I need to replace my current camera for at least the next six months and think the the D600 may fit my longer term needs.

Thoughts?

Phil
http://www.PhilsImaging.com
"You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
Phil

Comments

• Options
    perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2012
    The D700 is nearly a 5 year old camera at this point. Frankly, I am surprised it still fetches the price it does. The D600 is nothing but a rumor at this point, and not even a solid one. I doubt seriously that is causing any effect on D700 pricing. Do you NEED the FX sensor? If not, consider the D7000.
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2012
    The D700 is nearly a 5 year old camera at this point. Frankly, I am surprised it still fetches the price it does. The D600 is nothing but a rumor at this point, and not even a solid one. I doubt seriously that is causing any effect on D700 pricing. Do you NEED the FX sensor? If not, consider the D7000.

Looking for a Nkon, other than the D800 - too expensive, that I can get better ISO range.

Thanks for your comments.

Phil
    Phil
  • Options
    WayupthereWayupthere Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2012
    I have had no luck with CL for anything, much less camera gear. My plan was to sell my 700 when the new cameras became available, but the longer I have it the better I like it. And the 800..not sure about that one yet.
    Gary
  • Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2012
    It still gets that price because it is still a very relevant camera. I bought one at 1800 a few months ago and I am in love with it. I would say the only thing out dated on it is the lack of video. I have a feeling with the 800 and rumored 600 there is a big gap. Nikon pushed the resolution so far that some people are just scratching their heads. So I think the value of 700s will hover there for quite some time. Unless there is an even bigger price drop on the new ones.
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2012
    Zerodog wrote: »
    It still gets that price because it is still a very relevant camera. I bought one at 1800 a few months ago and I am in love with it. I would say the only thing out dated on it is the lack of video. I have a feeling with the 800 and rumored 600 there is a big gap. Nikon pushed the resolution so far that some people are just scratching their heads. So I think the value of 700s will hover there for quite some time. Unless there is an even bigger price drop on the new ones.

Good points too. I need to do something soon.
    Phil
  • Options
    MikespiritoMikespirito Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 7, 2012
    The D700 is a absolute beast. It's a amazing piece of a camera. To me it's one of those cameras that will go down as a classic.
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2012
    Zerodog wrote: »

May I ask how you tested the camera and what was the reported shutter count ?

Thanks,
    Phil
    Phil
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2012
    The D700 is a absolute beast. It's a amazing piece of a camera. To me it's one of those cameras that will go down as a classic.

Exactly. The bottom line is that regardless of whatever bells and whistles come out in the newer cameras, the D700 is a solid workhorse that can earn a living for most any type of still photographer. I pay my bills with a D700, and I know plenty of others who do. The day used D700's start going for $1500-$1700, I'll be buying a 2nd one for sure...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    TinstaflTinstafl Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2012
    I have both the the D700 and the D7000 and the 700 is about one stop better in low light. In good light for landscape the D7000 shines and to use it on a long lens helps with the DOF but I have used both cameras in same shoot and to me I find that I look at the shots when they are uploaded and my eye likes the D700 better. I just got the D800 and the D4 so I will be selling my D700 but it is with regret. I do think it is one of the classics but the D4 is so much better that I will not reach for it as often. It was my go to body and it earned the most too and this way someone else can enjoy it as well. I will be sending it to Nikon first for a check up and cleaning. But, if you can swing it the D800 is amazing.
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2012
    Tinstafl wrote: »
    I have both the the D700 and the D7000 and the 700 is about one stop better in low light. In good light for landscape the D7000 shines and to use it on a long lens helps with the DOF but I have used both cameras in same shoot and to me I find that I look at the shots when they are uploaded and my eye likes the D700 better. I just got the D800 and the D4 so I will be selling my D700 but it is with regret. I do think it is one of the classics but the D4 is so much better that I will not reach for it as often. It was my go to body and it earned the most too and this way someone else can enjoy it as well. I will be sending it to Nikon first for a check up and cleaning. But, if you can swing it the D800 is amazing.

Thanks for the information, that is most helpful because I was considering the D7000.

We lived in Northern Va. for many years too, so I know you have great opportunities for you photography. Love that horse country. I hope you post some pics here from that area with your new gear.

Thanks, Phil
    Phil
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2012
    Exactly. The bottom line is that regardless of whatever bells and whistles come out in the newer cameras, the D700 is a solid workhorse that can earn a living for most any type of still photographer. I pay my bills with a D700, and I know plenty of others who do. The day used D700's start going for $1500-$1700, I'll be buying a 2nd one for sure...

=Matt=

Matt, I was expecting that you would reply since I have seen many comments by you on the camera.

Thanks, Phil
    Phil
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2012
    Matt, I was expecting that you would reply since I have seen many comments by you on the camera.

Thanks, Phil

Remember, I'm oldschool, and borderline "old dog, new tricks"...

I dislike how the D800 has such significant changes in the button layout, just to accomodate video. I dislike how the D7000 also sacrifices certain button functionalities that I can't live without on my D700 now. (Which I have been used to since the D200 / D300, mind you...)

Would I take a D800 if it were given to me? Sure. Heck if I had $3500 to burn I might just buy one. But I'm on a budget and probably always will be, and I just need a camera that works. In that case, the camera for me is still the D700.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum