Options

Recepits, Insurance... and being my own worst enemy

FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
edited June 6, 2012 in Mind Your Own Business
So, I need an idea here.

My car was broken in on Monday. Aside from my custom sound system, scumbags pulled my AB head, PWIIs, 70-200, Sb-700, backdrop, light stand, CPL and a soft box (aside from non-photography related stuff)..

The problem is that 70-200 I got like a normal person - paid with a PP, thus have a receipt.
Other stuff, however, I either picked up on a swap meet or paid cash for, thus no receipts...

Now, insurance wants to see receipts of the purchases.. any suggestions on how to proceed?
I won't be able to come by that kind of $$ for a long time (just got a condo, and am, officially, broke).

suggestions?

Yes, I know It was stupid of me to leave all these things in the truck. I assumed that living in a 1250+/mo community with a high end cars all over meant a secure community as well. And I had absolutely no energy to pull of that stuff back in the condo when I got back the night before - shot an event..
Arseny - the too honest guy.
My Site
My Facebook

Comments

• Options
    DemianDemian Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2012
    For starters, read your policy. I'm assuming they have something in their about proof of ownership?

Talking to your claims adjuster would be a good idea. Most likely, they want proof of ownership, not exactly receipts. If you have pictures of the items, boxes they came in, any paperwork that came with it, serial numbers, etc, they may accept that as proof. And if you can prove the high value stuff, they may not demand proof for the cheaper stuff (If you shelled out for a $1600 lens, for example, it's pretty believable that you'd have other photo gear too.)

Good luck man, let us know how it turns out :(

EDIT:

One thing I'd like to add: I have separate insurance for all my camera stuff, and keep my insurer updated with the equipment, cost, and serial numbers. It's really cheap (for non-professional use, anyways), protects my gear in all situations, and we both have a clear idea of exactly what's covered. It's not a bad idea for anyone, I think.

Serials are also good to give to the cops if it gets stolen :(