Options

Nikkor or sigma?

Jenny9909Jenny9909 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited June 7, 2012 in Cameras
Hello!

I just joined digital grind and i have a serious question!:dunno
Next month I am going on a 14-Day long mediterranean cruise :bread , and I am leaning toward the 18-200 mm for my nikon d5000. I've also heard things about the 55-200?
What would you recommend Sigma or Nikon?18-200 or 55-200? Keep in mind I am only 15 and I am on a low budget! Ebay and Craigslist are my preferred places to buy the lens. :ivar

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,911 moderator
    edited June 6, 2012
    The Nikkor 18-200mm, f3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX is certainly a very convenient lens that covers a very broad range without changing the lens. It is a compromise in image quality but if what you want is basically snapshots it may be sufficient.

I strongly suggest adding a Nikkor 35mm, f1.8G AF-S DX for low light and when you want better image quality with better DOF control too.

If the 18-200mm is too costly then I suggest a pair of lenses:

Nikkor 18-55mm, f3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR
    Nikkor 55-200mm, f4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR

... plus the 35mm above.

I highly recommend purchasing from an authorized Nikon retailer to minimize your risk.

B&H
    Adorama

... are my primary recommendations. Just go to either of those retailers and search for the lenses I've indicated.

Yes, I recommend the Nikon versions over the Sigma versions.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    JamesbjenkinsJamesbjenkins Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2012
    Jenny, as a general rule, OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) products will almost always be of a higher quality, durability and value than 3rd party items. Photography is certainly no exception. You definitely get what you pay for.

There are certain unique circumstances where a 3rd party lens might be better than the genuine Nikon offering (same for Canon), but there are very few choices where that's the case.

IMO, the Nikon 18-200 is your best choice here. If you're short on cash, the recommendations Ziggy made are solid.

Have fun on your trip!
    Proofing: clients.captured-photos.com
    Facebook: Like Me || Twitter: Follow Me
    Gear: Lots of Nikon bodies & glass, an office full of tools and toys
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,911 moderator
    edited June 7, 2012
    Jenny, I'm going to change my recommendations with the hope that you may wish to do more than the average snapshots on your 2 week Mediterranean cruise. This is basically the recommendation I would give one of my kids.

The Nikkor 18-200mm, f3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX is basically a $1000USD zoom lens.

For the same cash outlay you could get:
    Tamron 17-50mm, f2.8 XR Di-II LD Aspherical [IF] in Nikon mount and with a built-in-motor, which your camera requires for autofocus. It's around $500. It is a very nice standard zoom with a constant aperture of f2.8. At the 50mm end it lets in 4-times the light of the lenses I recommended earlier (at their longest focal length). This is important for many reasons but basically it allows better DOF control and lower ISO settings, which may help to reduce noise in your images. It is just a very nice lens, at a very reasonable price, and capable of professional results (moreso than the previous recommendations I provided).
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/550954-REG/Tamron_AF016NII_700_17_50mm_f_2_8_XR_Di_II.html

I continue to recommend the Nikkor 55-200mm, f4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR as a telephoto zoom lens. It is not a fast aperture lens, like the Tamron 17-50mm, f2.8, but you generally use that sort of lens in pretty good light and outdoors. It will give you some reach and the image quality is pretty decent at a very economical price of around $250.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/486717-USA/Nikon_2166_AF_S_DX_VR_Zoom_Nikkor.html

I also continue to recommend the Nikkor 35mm, f1.8G AF-S DX for low light and when you want better image quality with better DOF control too. At around $200 it's a great value.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/606792-USA/Nikon_2183_AF_S_Nikkor_35mm_f_1_8G.html

In those three lenses you would have a tremendous improvement in capabilities and flexibility, and a seriously good kit for all sorts of photographic endeavors.

An external flash is a great idea, along with a couple of flash modifiers, and can give you the sort of images that people will talk about.

i-4sSnKRW-XL.jpg

i-G37TdhX.jpg

962263171_H4w8q-XL.jpg

912822732_rdkDH-XL.jpg

You can create your own light modifiers (DIY). A couple that I can recommend are:

http://www.fototime.com/inv/908195739C4C0D3

Better Bounce Card

Joe Demb also makes an interesting device for sale (reasonable):

http://www.dembflashproducts.com/flipit/

I own a FlipIt product and it works well and is very well made.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    For the same cash outlay you could get:
    Tamron 17-50mm, f2.8 XR Di-II LD Aspherical [IF] ...

I continue to recommend the Nikkor 55-200mm, f4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR ...

I also continue to recommend the Nikkor 35mm, f1.8G AF-S DX ...
    An external flash is a great idea,

I completely second Ziggy's second set of recommendations. This is the kit I have right now, and I am very happy with it. The 35mm f/1.8G stays on my D300 most of the time, and my wife uses the Tamron on our D90 to take shots of the kids. Both are very nice lenses, especially considering their cost. The 55-200 VR is a nice, light, compact telephoto that will give very nice photos in good light. Don't count on it in low light, as it is not a fast lens, but outdoors or on a tripod, it is very good (again, considering the cost).

I would definitely go with a multi-lens setup vs. the all-in-one superzoom 18-200.

Have a great trip!
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    MavMav Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2012
    Now I'm not one to normally disagree with Ziggy... buuuuutt, I think you might be better off with the 18-200mm and the 35mm. This is the combo that I have - I leave the 18-200 on for all but indoor/night-time shots, and then the 35mm comes in to play.

My logic is that for walking around during the day - you can carry just the camera + 18-200 and be ready for near most situations, and if you want to carry the 35mm, it really is pretty small and light. The last thing you want to do on holiday is have to be lugging around lots of kit or having to choose and find yourself without the lens you want.

The 18-200mm is capable of some great shots. Here are a couple from one of our holidays (there are much better photographers that can really demonstrate the capabilities):

i-FDhDnNW-L.jpg

i-ptDVrvg-L.jpg

i-Sd8cdbJ-L.jpg