Not Baseball. Dance!

RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
edited June 8, 2012 in Street and Documentary
Where is the story in a dance rehearsal? Did I capture it?

IMG7890-L.jpg

IMG7789-L.jpg

IMG7583-L.jpg

IMG7688-L.jpg

IMG7496-L.jpg

IMG7834-L.jpg

IMG7575-L.jpg

IMG7760-L.jpg

IMG7844-L.jpg
Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
Website | Galleries | Utah PJs

Comments

• MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2012
    clap.gif Fantastic! Definitely a story told. #4 , #5, and #6 are my faves.
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2012
    I like many of these shots. But as tempting as the two word titles are, it makes it extremely difficult for me to interpret this for myself. You ended up writing the narrative. I don't get to create my own. I want to see the story, but find that I'm always having to attempt to visually block out the printed subtext. If I were to suggest something, it would be to provide a short declarative paragraph at the beginning or end to give context for interpretation.

That said, I think you've done a wonderful job with the colour work and it's a lovely series.
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2012
    michswiss wrote: »
    I like many of these shots. But as tempting as the two word titles are, it makes it extremely difficult for me to interpret this for myself. You ended up writing the narrative. I don't get to create my own. I want to see the story, but find that I'm always having to attempt to visually block out the printed subtext. If I were to suggest something, it would be to provide a short declarative paragraph at the beginning or end to give context for interpretation.

That said, I think you've done a wonderful job with the colour work and it's a lovely series.

Could not of said it better mwink.gif
  • RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2012
    Thank you for the feedback. I've removed the text.
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2012
    Very nice set Ryan - but...photos of a dance, or dance rehearsal, with feet chopped off (numbers 4 and 7)? Really? ne_nau.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
    edited June 7, 2012
    Yes. Fail. I know. :(
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2012
    Not fail - feet. :-0 You definitely captured the feel of the rehearsal. Just remember what they're rehearsing. :-)
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2012
    BD, looking specifically at the ones you mentioned, if it's a choice of cropping off the feet or cropping off the top-- well, I think RyanS made the right choice. thumb.gif
  • TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2012
    In the words of John Lennon, "Number nine, number nine, number nine. . . ."
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2012
    I really like the sixth one !
    edited June 8, 2012
    Thank you all for the nice comments. I really appreciate them. And BD, here are some feet. Just for you! I seem to be missing something else in this shot though... I can't quite wrap my head around it. :D

i-8WqM5CL-L.jpg

Come to think of it... You did a whole series of feet, shoes, legs, etc. Are you trying to tell us something?

The actual performance for the featured dance company was today. It turned in to high drama when 1200 parents, grandparents, and family members arrived to find 600 available seats. I'll spare you the details, but the show before the show was quite animated.

:argue :argue :argue :argue :argue

My family, along with dozens of others, were split between lobby and performance hall. We weren't the only ones seeing red. Okay, no more self-referential mis-steps. I promise.
  • Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2012
    Ryan, these are just excellent! The story flow really well and its evident that you made yourself present at each stage of the recital. My personal favorites are #3, #5, and #6. I think three is interesting for its color, and the light that is highlighting the girl on the right. To me, it's the strongest of the series, with its competition being #6. 6 is wonderful because of the isolation you've achieved with your subject, and the additional layer of the three girls, perfectly spaced, doing whatever it is they're doing in the background.

#5 is an image that can stand on its own, because it's such a classic shot, and that's why I think it's a special one too.

Really, really great set. Probably my favorite post of yours unless I'm missing something major.
  • FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2012
    Excellent work! You really captured the emotion of the dancers and the parents. Made me feel like I was there! clap.gif