Options

Suggestions?

Dick on ArubaDick on Aruba Registered Users Posts: 3,484 Major grins
edited June 7, 2012 in Wildlife
I'm planning to buy for my outdoor photographing this blind:
9f287c65d3bd6e4a.jpg

ghostblind_4_1.jpg

My plan is to sit behind it and make a roof with a camo net. It's a bit expensive but I think it's going to work extremely well. Do you have a better suggestion?

Dick.

I don't want to leave this thread without any picture, so here's one:
123143217_25j23-L.jpg
"Nothing sharpens sight like envy."
Thomas Fuller.

SmugMug account.
Website.

Comments

• Options
    NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2012
    It depends on what you will be shooting and where. I've gone full circle on camo. I was using a gillie suit with camo over camera and lens, face screened, etc, etc. What I have found over time is that unless you are in a hunting area, mammals seem to be more comfortable if they can keep an eye on you. Birds are all over the map. Waterfowl that you could never get close to with a gun will land right beside you inside the bounds of a game reserve. Small birds seem to be the most skittish. Though hummingbirds have the hearts of lions and show no fear at all. Then again it is legal to feed most birds and as with people a free meal has an amazing effect on them.

These comments based on North American species (and all humans).
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2012
    It depends on what you will be shooting and where...

These comments based on North American species (and all humans).

Thanks man, I appreciate your input.

The thing is, I live on this tiny Island called Aruba where flora and fauna are not always protected and appreciated as I would like it to be.

Kids running around arias where there suppose to be peace and quiet. Throwing rocks at birds or just scaring them away is just a game for them. I work hard to educate those pester-ish humans to respect what is left of nature.

Long story short: It's not always easy to approach a subject, very often the subject has to come to me instead. To accomplish that, I guess that the blind that I posted is the best solution. (?)
    Thomas Fuller.

SmugMug account.
    Website.
  • Options
    NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2012
    IOW down there is similar to a hunting area. The critters avoid humans.

I hunted for years before I turned in my gun for a camera. Reflecting on all of the combined years of both activities, I personally believe the two visual things that critters cue on are motion and eyes. It looks like the blind you are considering will mask motion adequately from on level and you mentioned covering the top with net. Even inside the blind I would mask my face or wear sunglasses.
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2012
    ...I personally believe the two visual things that critters cue on are motion and eyes....

Thanks for your input Dan.
    Thomas Fuller.

SmugMug account.
    Website.