Options

5D3 back from CPS - some good/some bad

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited June 17, 2012 in Cameras
Well, I guess it's my turn to go through this, as did Eyal (http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=221008)

Finally got an approval from CPS to fix the light leak (I had to call them myself though).
They acknowledged and sent the fedex label.
Turnaround was great - I dropped the box off Tuesday at noon, and got the camera back Thursday 2pm.
Light leak was fixed. Sensor was also cleaned - the old spots were gone.

Now the bad part:
* there is a new piece of dirt in the corner of the senosr that doesn't get away.
* there is a sizeable scratch on the bottom part of the body:
CA06071214143250-XL.jpg

Unlike Eyal, I didn't take the pictures prior, but I was (and still am) 100% positive that it wasn't there before. I never had anything like that on any of my dozen+ DSLR bodies I owned over the last 8 years.

So, I called CPS Irvine, quietly and calmly explained the matter, the lady rep agreed to send me another return label.

I will report the update when I have some.
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2012
    Sorry Nik - I actually clicked on this thread to update mine!
    Hear I was thinking it was only the Jersey boys who dropped expensive gear...
    Hope they replace that section asap.

And I think the moral of the story is to take full photos of any gear going anywhere first. Camera phones make that ridiculously simple. I also photographed how I wrapped it (so well that you could barely make out what was behind all that bubble wrap)
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2012
    eoren1 wrote: »
    Sorry Nik - I actually clicked on this thread to update mine!
    Hear I was thinking it was only the Jersey boys who dropped expensive gear...
    Hope they replace that section asap.

And I think the moral of the story is to take full photos of any gear going anywhere first. Camera phones make that ridiculously simple. I also photographed how I wrapped it (so well that you could barely make out what was behind all that bubble wrap)

Well, that's what I'm going to do this weekend when I will be packing it for shipping Monday...
    What I'm more concerned about is the general handling. If they managed to deliver the blow that cuased that scratch, how would I know what happened inside, where I can't see anything? eek7.gif
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2012
    I don't think you have anything to worry about. You've seen this http://www.digitalrev.com/article/canon-7d-hardcore-durability-test/MjA0MjMyMTE_A right? :D
    Nikolai wrote: »
    Well, that's what I'm going to do this weekend when I will be packing it for shipping Monday...
    What I'm more concerned about is the general handling. If they managed to deliver the blow that cuased that scratch, how would I know what happened inside, where I can't see anything? eek7.gif
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2012
    Dan7312 wrote: »
    I don't think you have anything to worry about. You've seen this http://www.digitalrev.com/article/canon-7d-hardcore-durability-test/MjA0MjMyMTE_A right? :D
    lol..rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2012
    OK, dropped it off with a prepaid label this morning. Hopefully get it back Wed/Thu.
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2012
    Camera's back from CPS Irvine.
    For the first time ever it took all three (supposed) days, usually it's just one. Yet it made it back just in time so I could use it.
    Back cover (the one they scratched during the previouos repair) replaced, sensor is squeaky clean, AF was working 100% spot on during the sunset shoot.
    All in all, I'm a happy camper. :ivar
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,213 moderator
    edited June 17, 2012
    Congrats! That's a happy thing to hear. clap.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,911 moderator
    edited June 17, 2012
    Excellent news. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2012
    Nice! Mine's still in the shop (the loaner 5d3 and 70-200/2.8 are working awesome though)
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2012
    No wonder they end up charging so much for this camera!

Nice to hear it worked out, Nik.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2012
    Thanks guys!
    Took it wor a couple of shoots, so far so good :-)