Is This A Flop ?

lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
edited June 10, 2012 in Street and Documentary

Comments

• Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2012
    It doesn't do too much for me, lens. I do like the playful expression on the girl in the back, on the right, but she's a good deal away from what we initially focus on there in the front row. Furthermore, the background doesn't help the shot and makes it seem busier than it already is.

Another thing I've noticed looking at it more are the shoes. Those are a good addition as well!
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2012
    Much much closer would maybe work better here.

Very hard to capture "Sound"
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited June 8, 2012
    Hmm...if I'm seeing what I think, you missed a fabulous shot by less than a second. As it is, the view has to think about it, and thinking is hard. mwink.gif.
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2012
    Your title predisposes the viewer to agree versus viewing it neutrally...

What you missed in the capture is the essence of the drumming, whether it be the power, the dynamics, the fluidity, the sychrony, etc.
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2012
    It seems to me what he didn't miss is the one drum falling down.

I have a similar shot (without overturned drum) of a similar group
    entertaining at a Dragon Boat race.

I don't care for that type of title. It begs for either argument or
    agreement, and is too much like "Does this dress make my butt look
    big?". There's no good answer.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2012
    Taiko drumming is all about motion, rhythm, and energy :) I would have got in closer and used a slower shutter speed to get some motion in the arms and body.

Just my 2 cents ...
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2012
    lensmole wrote: »
    Is This A Flop ?
    nod.gif
  • lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2012
    Quincy T wrote: »
    It doesn't do too much for me, lens. I do like the playful expression on the girl in the back, on the right, but she's a good deal away from what we initially focus on there in the front row. Furthermore, the background doesn't help the shot and makes it seem busier than it already is.

Another thing I've noticed looking at it more are the shoes. Those are a good addition as well!
    bfjr wrote: »
    Much much closer would maybe work better here.

Very hard to capture "Sound"
    Richard wrote: »
    Hmm...if I'm seeing what I think, you missed a fabulous shot by less than a second. As it is, the view has to think about it, and thinking is hard. mwink.gif.
    rainbow wrote: »
    Your title predisposes the viewer to agree versus viewing it neutrally...

What you missed in the capture is the essence of the drumming, whether it be the power, the dynamics, the fluidity, the sychrony, etc.
    TonyCooper wrote: »
    It seems to me what he didn't miss is the one drum falling down.

I have a similar shot (without overturned drum) of a similar group
    entertaining at a Dragon Boat race.

I don't care for that type of title. It begs for either argument or
    agreement, and is too much like "Does this dress make my butt look
    big?". There's no good answer.
    digismile wrote: »
    Taiko drumming is all about motion, rhythm, and energy :) I would have got in closer and used a slower shutter speed to get some motion in the arms and body.

Just my 2 cents ...
    nod.gif

Thank you! all for looking and taking the time to comment. I do wish I was quicker on the draw and had captured the drum in midstream of its fall,however your responses have given me insight ,that will be helpful to me in the foreseeable future . Much appreciated ! thumb.gif
  • richardmanrichardman Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2012
    I have shot over 40000 frames of taiko drumming, so I know a little bit about the subject. First, you are trying to capture an "oops" moment, not taiko per se. I wouldn't bother because even if you catch it, it will still be "so what" moment.

Second, to catch the movement, use 1/40th second. With taiko, there are billions of opportunities to either go in and capture some expressions or zoom out to catch the choreography. The trick is, as with shooting all performance, anticipates what's going to happen. The players often interact with each other and that can make great photos too.

Good luck and have fun!
    "Some People Drive, We Are Driven"
    // richard <http://www.richardmanphoto.com&gt;
    richardmanphoto on Facebook and Instagram
  • lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2012
    richardman wrote: »
    I have shot over 40000 frames of taiko drumming, so I know a little bit about the subject. First, you are trying to capture an "oops" moment, not taiko per se. I wouldn't bother because even if you catch it, it will still be "so what" moment.

Second, to catch the movement, use 1/40th second. With taiko, there are billions of opportunities to either go in and capture some expressions or zoom out to catch the choreography. The trick is, as with shooting all performance, anticipates what's going to happen. The players often interact with each other and that can make great photos too.

Good luck and have fun!

Wow that is amazing ! this was my first experience at such an event very powerful and exhilarating experience . Thank you! for your comments and info very much appreciated.