Options

Spoonbills with the new D 800

ashruggedashrugged Registered Users Posts: 345 Major grins
edited June 14, 2012 in Wildlife
I have about 1000 shots on my new D-800 and so far I am not loving it. I just does not seem to capture focus on birds on flight as well as my D-200 Does. I am in the process of reviewing all my settings and doing side by side compairsons. I am sure I will work it out.
On the up side, I was lucky enough to caputre a bathing spoonbill last weekend, He put on quite a show for us. I had the camera in dx crop mode and used a 300mm f4 with a 1.4 tc. This was still short.
1) there was no way to to isolate the bird in many shots.
RK80675-L.jpg

2)
RK80709-L.jpg

3) this was also taken with 30RK80704-L.jpg
0mm and 1.4

4)RK80743-L.jpg

5) facing the wind to dry his wings.
RK80756-L.jpg

6) and finally a traditional shot
RK80813-L.jpg

7) One Osprey in flight i did manage to catch. This is the best of a series as he flew by. 300mm. no crop
RK80957-L.jpgp

Comments

• Options
    Dick on ArubaDick on Aruba Registered Users Posts: 3,484 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2012
    Very nice series Robert. Well done! thumb.gif
    "Nothing sharpens sight like envy."
    Thomas Fuller.

SmugMug account.
    Website.
  • Options
    BanzaiiBanzaii Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited June 10, 2012
    nice pics, if i may ask where in fort myers did you find these spoonies? Around lovers key? I havent been able to find any lately.
  • Options
    PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2012
    I'm a sucker for Spoonbills! Love the first shot, and the whole series. Let us know if you figure out how to get your camera working better. Best, Pam
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2012
    Very nice series Robert. Well done! thumb.gif

Thanks Dick.
  • Options
    fool4thecityfool4thecity Registered Users Posts: 632 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2012
    Awesome work, good luck with the new body. Hope you get it "dailed in".
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2012
    Banzaii wrote: »
    nice pics, if i may ask where in fort myers did you find these spoonies? Around lovers key? I havent been able to find any lately.

Thanks Banzaii. These were shot At Ding Darling, I would suggest to be there for opening 7:00am. near low tide, Bring a tripod the longest lens you have and bug spray.
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2012
    PGM wrote: »
    I'm a sucker for Spoonbills! Love the first shot, and the whole series. Let us know if you figure out how to get your camera working better. Best, Pam

Thanks Pam, I love the Spoons too, I can watch them for hours. I will be back at it this next weekend dialing in the camera. I will go without the TC. Until I get adjusted to the camera.

Awesome work, good luck with the new body. Hope you get it "dailed in".

Thanks for the comments, I think I need more practice with the new camera this weekend:D
  • Options
    EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2012
    Fantastic shots! Let me know if you figure out which focus mode you like, cause I've noticed the same with mine. Seemed the D300 was always right on. Not so much on the 800, however, when I get it on, its super awesome!