Options

Backpack Suggestions

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited December 4, 2012 in Accessories
OK... would love to hear from all you backpack owners. What backpack do you have that you just absolutely can't live without. I'm in need of a good sized pack. Something that will fit the gear below, is durable, comfortable and hopefully won't break the bank but I will to pay an arm and part of a leg to get the right bag.

Gear going in the bag:
  • Nikon D700 body
  • Nikon 17-35mm f/2.8
  • Nikon 28-70mm f/2.8
  • Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8
  • Nikon or Sigma 105mm f/2.8
  • Nikon 50mm f/1.8
  • Extension tubes
  • 2 Speedlights
  • Spare batteries for body and flashes
  • Spare CF cards
  • Filters
  • Tripod
  • Kitchen Sink
  • Small dog

Just kidding on the last two. Just seems like a lot of crap when I listed out like this!! Glad I do a lot of squats at the gym. :wink

OH... not critical but would be nice if it could hold a laptop too. No biggie though.

Thanks all!!!
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2012
    I like my Crumpler Karachi Outpost. It's very comfortable, not boxy like a lot of bags can be. The non-boxy bit makes it more comfortable, I think, but also makes it a tad less efficient for storage, since it's not as square. I like the fact that it opens from the side that the straps are on, so you can lay it down on its back in the dirt. This is also the bag that Marc has. Let me know if you want to check it out, we can meet up sometime.

I also have on order the Deurter Freeride Pro with the TrekPak inserts. I hate the velcro in all other bags and I'm really interested in these new inserts. I won't have that bag till July (estimated).
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2012
    I should note that on the Crumpler, the laptop sleeve is removable, which I like since I don't always (hardly at all anymore) carry my laptop in the bag. The C List Celebrity is newer and looks good, too. Although I think it's overbuilt for me with the huge waist strap and the built in laptop sleeve.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2012
    David. I looked at a few Crumpler bags at the Crumpler store in SF last year. I don't remember exactly what models but I did appreciate the way they were constructed. Seemed really well made. I didn't have all my gear at the time to try to fit it and I also didn't have nearly as much gear back then as I do now.

We need to meet up anyhow so maybe I can check out your bag then. Is your new bag going to replace the Crumpler? If so, you gonna sell it?

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2012
    Just clicked the link and realized that it may not be a new bag your ordered but inserts. headscratch.gif

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2012
    Just clicked the link and realized that it may not be a new bag your ordered but inserts. headscratch.gif

If you scroll down the options on the right you'll see that you can get the inserts and bag together.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2012
    Is your new bag going to replace the Crumpler? If so, you gonna sell it?

Who knows? Not me, not yet!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2012
    Do you have the med or large Karachi?

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2012
    Do you have the med or large Karachi?

Large.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2012
    Just eyeballing your list it might be a bit tight in the Karachi. I never carry flashes, for instance. You should definitely see how your gear fits in it, first.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2012
    Mine might be a bit small for all that but they have a larger size. Here's my review:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=221191
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2012
    Interesting. The Kata Bumblebee is one of the bags I've considered but this one is quite slick. I like that you can wear it as a sling. Makes it quite easy to pull your cam out to shoot and place it back in without having to take the pack off. I noticed there is a 3n1-30 that seems larger than the one you have.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2012
    Yah but the 3n1-35 I the one you should look at as that an the 25 are the newest versions
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2012
    OH... so the 25 & 35 are newer versions. I was wondering why they had the other models. Seemed kind of redundant.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2012
    Earlier this year, user Moving Pictures recommended the AktivPak (this thread, also Eoren's!). Read down the thread - his reviews/comments are buried in there.

I bought the smaller one and it is currently holding:

Canon 7d
    Canon 24-70
    Canon 70-200 f4
    Canon 135L
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85 1.8
    Lensbaby
    three speedlights
    5-in-1 reflector
    batteries/filters/other small bits and pieces
    Kitchen sink
    Large dog

I don't usually carry a tripod, so that wasn't a consideration even though this bag does have a tie-down for it on the side.

My only complaint about it is that when loaded up that is HEAVY!! rolleyes1.gif Seriously, I probably ought to just get a Thinktank or other good rolling bag, but this one is really an excellent way of keeping almost all of my gear in one place and was extremely affordable. It's also GREAT to be able to carry *everything* I need, by myself if necessarily. ( first "have to carry it on my back and no assistant" outing was on Thursday, and it was terrific - on my back it's actually pretty easy to carry despite the weight, and it really did keep everything together. Even had room for my iPhone, wallet, the letters of agreement for the client, and my sunglasses.)

Not a "perfect" bag, but an excellent option for the price and it holds A LOT.
  • Options
    VadimOlenVadimOlen Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited June 12, 2012
    I have, and really like, the Lowepro Fastpack 200. I really like the way the opening for the camera is accessible from the side, so you can take one strap off, swing the pack around, and pull out your camera with attached lens. The zipper also can be tucked under a flap in the rear, which is nice for travel in areas that might make you nervous.

Mine usually holds:
    • D90 body
    • 18-200 f/3.5-5.6
    • 50mm f/1.8
    • 35mm f/1.8
    • speedlight
    • ~3-4 filters
    • 2 spare camera batteries, 8 spare AA's
    • chargers for camera battery and AA's
    • miscellaneous stuff (memory cards, microfiber cloths, camera remote, gray card)
    • occasionally a 10" netbook in the top pocket (it's a tight fit, but it fits)
    With all that, there's still more space available, but not a lot more.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited June 12, 2012
    I bought an f-Stop Loka earlier this year, love it! I posted a review here on dgrin at backpack review::f-stop loka, more details in my blog post at http://denisegoldberg.blogspot.com/2012/04/gear-review-f-stop-loka.html.

One of my colleagues chose the f-stop Tilopa-BC. He's happy with his bag as well.

--- Denise
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2012
    OK... would love to hear from all you backpack owners. What backpack do you have that you just absolutely can't live without. I'm in need of a good sized pack. Something that will fit the gear below, is durable, comfortable and hopefully won't break the bank but I will to pay an arm and part of a leg to get the right bag.

Gear going in the bag:
    • Nikon D700 body
    • Nikon 17-35mm f/2.8
    • Nikon 28-70mm f/2.8
    • Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8
    • Nikon or Sigma 105mm f/2.8
    • Nikon 50mm f/1.8
    • Extension tubes
    • 2 Speedlights
    • Spare batteries for body and flashes
    • Spare CF cards
    • Filters
    • Tripod
    • Kitchen Sink
    • Small dog

Just kidding on the last two. Just seems like a lot of crap when I listed out like this!! Glad I do a lot of squats at the gym. mwink.gif

OH... not critical but would be nice if it could hold a laptop too. No biggie though.

Thanks all!!!

It doesn't really look like that much, but that is because you only list 1 body.....I care not one bit about looks...my concern is protection but then I USE the CRAP out of my bags.... they get used a lot and hard...or in biking terms rode hard and put away wet..... I have found no bag that can compare in PROTECTION to LowePro I currently have a constantly use: 2 75AW's on a military Pistol best with military Y suspenders, and a Pro Trekker AW (v1), this bag carried 2 medium format bodies, 35mm Nikon and lenses for both (the packed bag was 3 oz under the carry on limit in 2003) to Czech Republic and Hike all over the country, was gate checked 2 twice and never have I had any gear to get damaged at all....It has been tossed into the back of my SUV, and I mean tossed....If I can't pretty give a bag of gear the old samsonite test then that bag is not worth having...and yes LowePro bags weigh more than the pretty ones but again, the bag must protect my gear, the last I checked the Pro Trekker was no longer able to be carried on so my next trip overseas I will need to deal with my gear differently, probably by UPS or FED EX'ing it to my destination.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2012
    Take a look at the Low Pro pro Trekker AW series. They have 3 sizes the 300, 400, 600. One of these will work for sure and they are very well built. Has a pouch and nice padded sleeve for a laptop as well.

Sam
  • Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2012
    F-stop Satori EXP. Love mine. It has been my do it all pack this year. Usually 2 bodies with 70-200 and 24-70 mounted. 3 flashes, PWs, batteries and chargers. If I pull lenses off I can hold way more. Still room for laptop. Or in the case of my last trip, 2 laptops. Easily converts down to a smaller camera pack/ bigger backpack for gear hauling on different trips too.

http://fstopgear.com/en/satori-exp
  • Options
    Robert_CRobert_C Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited June 14, 2012
    If you're worried about people sneaking behind your back and get your equipment missing, get the Lowepro Flipside 400.

I got the Flipside 300 and I love it. The pack is secured and the zipper is lying on your back side. I'm not worried about people unzipping my backpack stealing stuff especially during traveling.
    www.bobbycanlobophotos.com

“Photography is not about cameras, gadgets, and gismos. Photography is about photographers. A camera didn't make a great picture any more than a typewriter wrote a great novel.” - Peter Adams, photographer ( Sydney, 1978 )
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2012
    DavidTO wrote: »
    I also have on order the Deurter Freeride Pro with the TrekPak inserts. I hate the velcro in all other bags and I'm really interested in these new inserts. I won't have that bag till July (estimated).
    Did you get the bag with the TrekPak insert yet, David? Interested in what you think of the TrekPak system.
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2012
    RogersDA wrote: »
    Did you get the bag with the TrekPak insert yet, David? Interested in what you think of the TrekPak system.

Not yet. I'll be sure to post when I do!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2012
    Not yet. I'll be sure to post when I do!
    So...any news on this, David?
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2012
    RogersDA wrote: »
    So...any news on this, David?

Oh, yeah!

I got it (a few weeks ago), I like it a lot.

Nit: it's a tad on the heavy side. (The pack and the inserts). You can get the inserts alone, so not an issue if you do that, I don't think. But I've not tried them. The design on the rolli-pack is a bit different than the ones I have.

Love: the inserts. Genius, I think. Hate velcro.

If I ever get a weekend that I'm not working I'll get some pics up. Although the ones on the site are probably sufficient.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2012
    Oh, yeah!

Nit: it's a tad on the heavy side. (The pack and the inserts). You can get the inserts alone, so not an issue if you do that, I don't think. But I've not tried them. The design on the rolli-pack is a bit different than the ones I have.

If I ever get a weekend that I'm not working I'll get some pics up. Although the ones on the site are probably sufficient.

Too heavy? Don't be a wuss. rolleyes1.gif

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2012
    Too heavy? Don't be a wuss. rolleyes1.gif

I didn't say too heavy. Just a tad heavy. :davidto Fine for shorter hikes. If you're counting ounces on longer hikes, this wouldn't be the pack. Although it's intended for alpine hiking, and with the hip support on it rides nicely. deal.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2012
    Oh, yeah!

Thanks for the follow-up, David. I have enough bags so I may just do the inserts. We will see...after the holiday, though perhaps I may get the order in now due to the time to deliver. I don't need pics, but others might want more than what is on their website.
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2012
    I didn't say too heavy. Just a tad heavy. :davidto Fine for shorter hikes. If you're counting ounces on longer hikes, this wouldn't be the pack. Although it's intended for alpine hiking, and with the hip support on it rides nicely. deal.gif
    We know that you are using them to protect and carry your vintage beers and wine to and from photo shoots. So, it is not the inserts that make the bag heavy...mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2012
    Last time David and I went shooting, I had to carry him back to the car.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    ZBlackZBlack Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2012
    This has been floating around quite a bit today since ThinkTank announced it. Looks pretty cool and for my uses, something I'm definitely considering, but it is fairly expensive!
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/134466492/rotation180-photo-backpack