(18+) First Attempt

divmedic4divmedic4 Registered Users Posts: 160 Major grins
edited June 19, 2012 in Go Figure
Hi all. Wife was getting out of the shower and her silohuette really caught my eye and she agreed to let me take a few shots. This one is my favorite of them. Now that she has give the okay to post, I am looking for any feedback but especially any pointers on converting images like this and other glamour to B/W. Thanks!

i-VTrKBPm-L.jpg
Canon 7D, Sigma 17-70, Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS, EF 50 1.8 II, 430EXII

Tom

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2012
    divmedic4 wrote: »
    Hi all. Wife was getting out of the shower and her silohuette really caught my eye and she agreed to let me take a few shots. This one is my favorite of them. Now that she has give the okay to post, I am looking for any feedback but especially any pointers on converting images like this and other glamour to B/W. Thanks!
    Tom, welcome to GF!
    Nice image!

Next time I recomment to rotate the (upper) elbow a bit more toward the camera left so it doesn't melt into her head, thus creating a nuge black blob, but instead creates some lines/opening and becomes an interesting structural element of the picture!
    I would also either left a bit more on the bottom, or, if there is nothing more, trimmed out more, cutting the couch portion, basically right under her breasts - cutting at waist line is not considered generally a good idea.

Hope to see more from you!
    Nikolai
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • divmedic4divmedic4 Registered Users Posts: 160 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2012
    Thank you Nikolai. I didn't notice the couch in there until you mentioned it. As far as the elbow, this would help get the arm in a triangle position, right?

Tom
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2012
    Thank you Nikolai. I didn't notice the couch in there until you mentioned it. As far as the elbow, this would help get the arm in a triangle position, right?

Yes, on the triange. It doesn't take much, just turn it a bit into more "open" position.

And I hear you about the couch. It is *very* difficult to keep an eye out for such mundane details when you have such an alluring foreground subject...mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • canoesailorcanoesailor Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited June 14, 2012

i-VTrKBPm-L.jpg

what are the others that you want to convert to B/W.
  • TinstaflTinstafl Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2012
    I agree with the other comments on the couch and the arm position. Since you can not make out her face, I would turn it towards the wind more and have a 3/4 profile looking out the window. That is my taste though, if I can not make out the face, I try to turn it.
  • divmedic4divmedic4 Registered Users Posts: 160 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2012
    Sorry for the delay in responding to your comments. Canoe, there are various shots both GF and "normal." That comment about BW converion was more of general question because of how awesome most of the BW shots in here look to me. Tinstafl, I think I understand what you are saying about turning toward the window. By having her turned that way it would create more lines which would also make it more defined, correct?

Tom
  • canoesailorcanoesailor Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited June 19, 2012
    Sorry for the delay in responding to your comments. Canoe, there are various shots both GF and "normal." That comment about BW converion was more of general question because of how awesome most of the BW shots in here look to me. Tinstafl, I think I understand what you are saying about turning toward the window. By having her turned that way it would create more lines which would also make it more defined, correct?

With a beautiful model such as you have, you should get plenty of practice, looking forward to seeing further tries.