Options

Nikon D800 serious problems - bigger than tape

OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
edited June 12, 2012 in Cameras
I'm not doing this to rub it in, but since I haven't seen it posted anywhere else (or maybe I'm just slow) I may as well be the one to bear the news. Plus, any battery recall should be taken seriously since that can cause physical harm.

http://www.nikonusa.com/Service-And-Support/Service-Advisories/h0ndzaip/EN-EL15-Battery-Recall-Service-Advisory.html

http://www.canonwatch.com/another-exploded-nikon-d800/

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/04/nikon-confirms-woes-with-d4-and-d800/

Canon fix: tape

Nikon fix: battery, firmware, settings adjustments, and possibly burn ointment

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,911 moderator
    edited June 10, 2012
    We've had a sticky about the Nikon battery problem and recall over in the Accessories forum since April 26th, but it doesn't hurt to post something in Cameras too. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    We've had a sticky about the Nikon battery problem over in the Accessories forum since April 26th, but it doesn't hurt to post something in Cameras too. thumb.gif

Ah, I almost never look in the accessories forum... I'm just slow then. This one's for us slo-mos then, lol
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2012
    I blame it on stupid Japanese battery terminal regulation changes. I'm glad the D700 / D3 series aren't "illegal" in the USA yet, I think it's silly.

Both Canon and Nikon have had trouble with battery connections in the past; I think the history is equally dark although I especially remember the D200 and / or the D300 having battery connection issues.

Either way, this is probably caused by Nikon's forced adaptation of a new battery terminal design. Nikon likes to take things slow and get them right the first time, compared to Canon's consistent haste to release products that require FAR more firmware updates, on average, ....because this is what happens when Nikon DOESN'T take their time in designing something new...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,911 moderator
    edited June 10, 2012
    I blame it on stupid Japanese battery terminal regulation changes. I'm glad the D700 / D3 series aren't "illegal" in the USA yet, I think it's silly.

Both Canon and Nikon have had trouble with battery connections in the past; I think the history is equally dark although I especially remember the D200 and / or the D300 having battery connection issues.

Either way, this is probably caused by Nikon's forced adaptation of a new battery terminal design. Nikon likes to take things slow and get them right the first time, compared to Canon's consistent haste to release products that require FAR more firmware updates, on average, ....because this is what happens when Nikon DOESN'T take their time in designing something new...

=Matt=

I believe that this latest battery recall has to do with defective batteries which were produced for Nikon D800 and D4 cameras. There is a specific range of serial numbers involved in the recall and Nikon is to be commended for a very proactive campaign to notify the affected users.

http://www.nikonusa.com/Service-And-Support/Service-Advisories/h0ndzaip/EN-EL15-Battery-Recall-Service-Advisory.html
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    guitstikguitstik Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited June 10, 2012
    This could be "Terminal". I wonder if there is a "connection"? Has anyone heard if this is free of "charge"?
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2012

Been paying attention since the 20D, and I don't recall a battery issue like this with Canon.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2012
    Been paying attention since the 20D, and I don't recall a battery issue like this with Canon.

Never tried to use a Canon battery grip, eh?

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2012
    Never tried to use a Canon battery grip, eh?

=Matt=

Used one on my 7D, it was fine. A little blocky, but it worked well.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.