Options

Columbus Ohio Skyline at night

gwrightgwright Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
edited June 22, 2012 in Landscapes
[The Columbus Ohio Skyline at Dark.DSC0031-11x14-BW-M.jpg

This photo was made about a month ago during the blue hour. I converted it to B&W in Photoshop with levels adjustments. What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    edited June 16, 2012
    No reply
    This also has been here a week, no comments at all ????????

Is it that bad
  • Options
    Mark1123Mark1123 Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited June 17, 2012
    Nice shot. I love it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    If you never know an enemy, how do you understand the worth of a friend?
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2012
    I wouldn't assume the lack of comments is because your photo sucks. Most of the photos I post in this forum don't get a single comment. Hmm... maybe mine suck too. headscratch.gif

Joking aside. It's an OK shot. Nothing great. I think it's a bit dark and the composition is really static. It's a nice skyline but the photo is quite uninteresting to me. I know that you were trying to capture the skyline with the reflection but in this case, it just doesn't work. It much too crowded and there isn't any real detail to see. Maybe it works better when seen larger? ne_nau.gif

BTW, one thing that really bugs is the tilt in the photo. It's tilted to the up towards the left.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2012
    Thanks
    Joking aside. It's an OK shot. Nothing great. I think it's a bit dark and the composition is really static. It's a nice skyline but the photo is quite uninteresting to me. I know that you were trying to capture the skyline with the reflection but in this case, it just doesn't work. It much too crowded and there isn't any real detail to see. Maybe it works better when seen larger? ne_nau.gif

Thanks for your thoughts.

I'm not sure what you mean by static. As fro detail it is there when enlarged. What you see as tilt may actually be that the building on the left is much closer. Tha camera was level according to the built in leveling device on the D4.
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2012
    I wouldn't assume the lack of comments is because your photo sucks. Most of the photos I post in this forum don't get a single comment. Hmm... maybe mine suck too. headscratch.gif

BTW, one thing that really bugs is the tilt in the photo. It's tilted to the up towards the left.

15524779-Ti.gif
    The crop is very tight and I agree about the tilt - sometimes the eye is more important than the level.
    Also, IMO, B&W conversions for scenic shots work when they add interest, texture, or in some way improve the composition - I'm not feeling that here - nighttime skyline shots often depend on bright colors for drama.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2012
    The horizon is not level.
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2012
    Thanks for your input.
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2012
    Do you all feel the same about the color version (Leveque in pink) that is also posted?
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2012
    gwright wrote: »
    Do you all feel the same about the color version (Leveque in pink) that is also posted?

I like it better 'cause it's in color and I think you get the benefit of the "blue hour" lighting.
    However, I generally don't like portrait or custom crops on scenic shots - it leaves me wanting to see more. But that's just me - FWIW.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2012