Canon t4i or 60D

cybercoxcybercox Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited August 19, 2012 in Cameras
Which one would you pick?

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,068 moderator
    edited June 11, 2012
    The answer always boils down to, "It depends on how you intend to use the camera?"

These 2 bodies have a very similar (if not nearly identical) primary AF sensor, image sensor and metering module. Basic still image quality for stationary subject matter should be very similar, with slightly better high-ISO results possible for the Digital Rebel T4i/650D.

The Digital Rebel T4i/650D has a newer image processor and a new and unique (among Canon cameras) hybrid AF capability, which should help with video AF and Live View AF.

The 60D has a better construction, better viewfinder and mirror assembly, and better shutter box. It also has a larger and more robust battery.

Both bodies use SD card format for storage and the 60D is certified for use with Eye-Fi wireless cards. (Edit: I see that the T4i/650D is also certified for Eye-Fi.)

For still image applications I would recommend the 60D, but for "indie" video acquisition I would probably recommend the Digital Rebel T4i/650D (pending the major review sites' findings).
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • JamesbjenkinsJamesbjenkins Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2012
    Cyber, you're the only one who knows which camera is right for you.

No one here knows what you want from your new camera, or what your priorities are.

Asking such generic questions are a waste of time. A better question would be a specific question like "which of these cameras would perform X task better?"

Show you've done at least a little research... ;-)
    Proofing: clients.captured-photos.com
    Facebook: Like Me || Twitter: Follow Me
    Gear: Lots of Nikon bodies & glass, an office full of tools and toys
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2012
    cybercox wrote: »
    Which one would you pick?

Looks like Canon beefed up the Rebel line (higher FPS and AF points) so it may come down to ergonomics or the added features for video.
    But then the 60D has a very good price in the "loyalty" program !
  • tompadtompad Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited July 20, 2012
    Difference has difference choice, you should consider what's your need?
  • tompadtompad Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited July 20, 2012
    You can see this t4i vs 60d comparison, figure out what type of user you are, and which will work better for you.
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2012
    Check out the ergonomics and controls. Very different.
  • Nathan SommerfeldNathan Sommerfeld Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 17, 2012
    I have the same question as to what camera to move to next. Currently I’m using the Xsi, which has worked well except under low light conditions. I’m usually shooting wildlife, landscape, kids sports, and emergency services (Fire/EMS). With the Fire/EMS shooting and at times the wildlife, the low light limits with the current Xsi come to mind more in comparing the T4i and the 60D. How much difference/advantage is there going to be between these two choices. Also, for camera life (shutter life) I’m assuming the 60D would have the advantage but what is the expected life of both of these bodies and also for my current Xsi?

Other than the new AF for video, what advantage is there in having the new image processor in the T4i compared to what is being used in the 60D?

Any advice is appreciated.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,068 moderator
    edited August 17, 2012
    I have the same question as to what camera to move to next. Currently I’m using the Xsi, which has worked well except under low light conditions. I’m usually shooting wildlife, landscape, kids sports, and emergency services (Fire/EMS). With the Fire/EMS shooting and at times the wildlife, the low light limits with the current Xsi come to mind more in comparing the T4i and the 60D. How much difference/advantage is there going to be between these two choices. Also, for camera life (shutter life) I’m assuming the 60D would have the advantage but what is the expected life of both of these bodies and also for my current Xsi?

Other than the new AF for video, what advantage is there in having the new image processor in the T4i compared to what is being used in the 60D?

With your applications of sports and Fire/EMS, which will have elements of action photography, the better AF of the Canon 60D is significant and what I would call the determinant factor. Differences between the high-ISO noise of the T4i/650D and the 60D are likely to be little and of less significance. (I don't see any formal testing and reviews of the T4i/650D yet.)

Shutter actuation ratings for both bodies should be similar. The body of the 60D is a cast and machined aluminum chassis, surrounded by a structural plastic. The body of the dRebel series is a stamped, formed and welded stainless-steel chassis, surrounded by a structural plastic. The 60D is more likely to survive hard use, but neither body is designed for abuse (including accidental abuse). The 60D has a bit better environmental sealing as well.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2012
    I have the same question as to what camera to move to next. Currently I’m using the Xsi, which has worked well except under low light conditions. I’m usually shooting wildlife, landscape, kids sports, and emergency services (Fire/EMS). With the Fire/EMS shooting and at times the wildlife, the low light limits with the current Xsi come to mind more in comparing the T4i and the 60D. How much difference/advantage is there going to be between these two choices. Also, for camera life (shutter life) I’m assuming the 60D would have the advantage but what is the expected life of both of these bodies and also for my current Xsi?<!--?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /-->

I agree with Ziggy, the 60D looks better for sports and it's cheaper thru the CLP "loyalty" program ($640 body only)