Options

Help on skin tone/color differences

D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
edited June 12, 2012 in People
I had this nice model in the studio, after the shoot I noticed the skin tone difference between the hands and the face... Does anybody of you have some advice / tips how to overcome this before the shot and how to correct it afterwards in LR 4.1 or PS.

Help most welcome, and of course comments on the picture...

Lavendi-39-of-55-XL.jpg
A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2012
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2012
    ^^^You have to do a local color adjustment, no?
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2012
    Yes, but D3 has Photoshop, so shouldn't be a problem right?

In the shot above I find the face slight orange, which also pumps up the magenta in the hands. I'd probably adjust both of them a little, using the tutorial to correct the hands, and "eyeballing" any necessary adjustment on the face.

Not sure how to avoid it pre-shot, other than a skilled makeup artist (ideally one used to working for photo/TV and used to checking hands as well as faces) ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    Yes, but D3 has Photoshop, so shouldn't be a problem right?

In the shot above I find the face slight orange, which also pumps up the magenta in the hands. I'd probably adjust both of them a little, using the tutorial to correct the hands, and "eyeballing" any necessary adjustment on the face.

Not sure how to avoid it pre-shot, other than a skilled makeup artist (ideally one used to working for photo/TV and used to checking hands as well as faces) ne_nau.gif

I agree with Diva. The face and the hands seem off. Face orange, hands magenta. And I also can't think of anyway to fix pre-shot other than makeup that matches her skin tone better.

Reminds me of something somewhat related. For years, I noticed that all my wife's female relatives who live in the Philippines would wear much lighter make up than their skin tone. This would create what I referred to as the "Filipino Flour Face". It was really bad with bad shots taken with on camera flash.

I always assumed it was the only make up available to them in the Philippines. That is... until I went there. I realized they use this "white" make up by choice. It's to lighten their faces. There is a very open preference for lighter skin there. I found it quite interesting. What I still don't get is why they don't apply the make up on their neck so it doesn't look so bad. headscratch.gif
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2012
    How about sampling the face and brushing some of the color at a lower opacity onto the hands?
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2012
    IThat is... until I went there. I realized they use this "white" make up by choice. It's to lighten their faces. There is a very open preference for lighter skin there.

Women...

Go figure...

Pale women in the US go to great lengths to look darker, darker women elsewhere put on make-up to look lighter....

Sheesh...

:Dheadscratch.gifrolleyes
  • Options
    MarilynCMarilynC Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited June 12, 2012
    Try to up you exposure a couple clicks. The advice was given to me a while back and it has done wonders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2012
    TXS for the tips and advice. I will have to have a go at it. I do have PS-5, although I am a real LR 4.1 freak. Local temp and other adjustments in LR fit not seem to work to well.
    I tend to go for PS for this kind of work...

As a side question, I always start from LR for the RAW manipulation (LR is set to pro photo colorspace). When I need to do more edits I often jump from LR into CS-5.
    I do get each time the notification that the RAW 6 converter is not fully compatible and if I want to proceed.
    There are two ways " use LR settings to proceed to cs" and "render using CS" both give a different color although CS is also set to pro color.
    The best match is "using the LR settings..."

How do you all proceed ?
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2012

TXS, i had seen this one before but it did not really help me to adjust local differences.. Hands versus face.

Note that the picture does not have any adjustments, and is there to show the issues...
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2012
    TXS, i had seen this one before but it did not really help me to adjust local differences.. Hands versus face.

You need to do two separate adjustments, on layers, one for the hands (tone down the magentas) and one for the face (reduce the reds/oranges). You may/may not find the tutorial's method the best way for you - there are plenty of other ways to do it in addition to that, that one's just very reliable and effective for blotchy red skin (eg acne).

Why not post this in the FInishing School forum and see what the amazing PS gurus there have to say? There are so many brilliant techniques for using photoshop that may not be immediately apparent and you really do have to be *shown* them rather than figure them out instinctively. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2012
    You need to do two separate adjustments, on layers, one for the hands (tone down the magentas) and one for the face (reduce the reds/oranges). You may/may not find the tutorial's method the best way for you - there are plenty of other ways to do it in addition to that, that one's just very reliable and effective for blotchy red skin (eg acne).

Why not post this in the FInishing School forum and see what the amazing PS gurus there have to say? There are so many brilliant techniques for using photoshop that may not be immediately apparent and you really do have to be *shown* them rather than figure them out instinctively. thumb.gif

Thanks, now I understand what you are saying... Its within PS and not LR.

I will have a go at the finishing school..... TXS
  • Options
    GothamGotham Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2012
    I know this is a bit unhelpful after the fact, but if you avoid poses like that (which I'm personally not a big fan of anyhow), you won't have to worry about PS/LR/Layers or any of the other advice above.