Options

Powerbook, storage, archive Question

SnapHappySnapHappy Registered Users Posts: 328 Major grins
edited November 10, 2005 in Digital Darkroom
I'm currently running a pretty lame powerbook 1GHz 80GB 256mb RAM CD/DVD combodrive set-up. I won't be upgrading for at least 12 months (may be more) and then will probably want to move into a powermac system.
I need to get some more RAM so that I can start using photoshop and with that I also want to start shooting RAW.

I have currently have approx 30gb of space left on the hard drive after a little cleaning up and would like some advice on how I should be looking at storing my photo's in the future. As I can't record direct to a DVD I have a feeling CD's are not going to be a viable option.

Should I look at purchasing a seperate DVD drive or an external Hard drive for storage? (I have a feeling both?, one for back up???)

Does everyone leave filenames as they come direct from the camera or is it advisable to change them for easier relocation?

I'm currently using iphoto as my photo library, i take it I can ditch this when I have photoshop up and running?

Any further advice or helpful links appreciated. :D

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2005
    I would get a small, self-powered firewire drive. Easy to carry around when you need it. Keep all your photos on there.

You definitely need more RAM, you need more of it even if you're not running PS. 256 is enough for nothing.

I import RAWs just as they are, filename-wise. When I process I append "_yymmdd" to the end. Then keyword so I can find shots. That way the JPEG always refers to the original RAW file and the date shot. I find that useful. My folder structure looks like this:

Photos>2005>11 November 2005>051110>and then all my files for that date.

Yes, you'll stop using iPhoto when you start shooting RAW.

I would back-up to another drive, not DVD. The chances of both going down are slim. It's faster. You can sync the drives quickly.

Another way to save space on your system drive is to remove localized files. I use Macaroni to run UNIX crons, repair permissions and to remove localized files. The first time I've run it on systems I've saved up to 1.5gb of space, not to mention all those little bitty files gumming up the works. In Macaroni I configure it to remove all localizations. If you don't need it, you don't need it. You'll never miss them. I also have it scheduled for once a month, figuring that if updates put localizations back in, this'll take them back out.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    SnapHappySnapHappy Registered Users Posts: 328 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    I would get a small, self-powered firewire drive. Easy to carry around when you need it. Keep all your photos on there.

You definitely need more RAM, you need more of it even if you're not running PS. 256 is enough for nothing.

I import RAWs just as they are, filename-wise. When I process I append "_yymmdd" to the end. Then keyword so I can find shots. That way the JPEG always refers to the original RAW file and the date shot. I find that useful. My folder structure looks like this:

Photos>2005>11 November 2005>051110>and then all my files for that date.

Yes, you'll stop using iPhoto when you start shooting RAW.

I would back-up to another drive, not DVD. The chances of both going down are slim. It's faster. You can sync the drives quickly.

Another way to save space on your system drive is to remove localized files. I use Macaroni to run UNIX crons, repair permissions and to remove localized files. The first time I've run it on systems I've saved up to 1.5gb of space, not to mention all those little bitty files gumming up the works. In Macaroni I configure it to remove all localizations. If you don't need it, you don't need it. You'll never miss them. I also have it scheduled for once a month, figuring that if updates put localizations back in, this'll take them back out.

Thanks, I'm sure this is good advice. I've taken onboard the file naming and will look at portable firewire drives. I know i need more RAM, something I have always needed yet never got round to buying. I have a copy of CS2 which needs more RAM to run on the powerbook so it's a "must buy" now.
    I'll have a look into that macaroni as well.

Thanks.