Options

7D + 70-200 f/2.8 II L - Tv mode Err 01 issues

acauroraacaurora Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
edited June 12, 2012 in Cameras
Hi all,

I have been having this problem occur just this past weekend - I take pictures for a lot of the bicycle races in northern California, and normally I shoot in Av mode to maximize the f/2.8 of my lens. Lately, however, I have been trying to use the shutter priority (Tv) mode to get some really great panning shots. The weird thing that is happening though is that when in Tv mode, every now and then I get the Err 01. It happens only on the first shot, and the shutter noise actually sounds a bit different. It's not like anything's breaking/creaking, but the noise just sounds different. I am shooting at 1/100...auto ISO.

Now the weird part - it happens only on Tv mode. When in the Av mode that I normally use to shoot, it never does that. I can shoot all day long in Av and it never happens. The moment I switch to Tv, I know it will eventually happen. Usually if I tilt the camera up/down and try to focus lock, it will begin to work again. I've had the contacts cleaned, remounted the lens, turned the camera on/off, removed battery pack (not in that order, of course), and it still will happen.

I have a 50mm f/1.4 that I tried using the same settings on my 7D and it works without any problems, which leads me to believe it's the lens. Does anyone else think differently, or have any other suggestions? I am taking pictures for a bike race this weekend but after that am definitely considering sending it into Canon. It's been <1 year so it is still covered.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,911 moderator
    edited June 12, 2012
    What firmware are you running?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2012
    1.2.5. I think that's the latest.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,911 moderator
    edited June 12, 2012
    Yes, I believe that you are good for firmware.

I also agree that it sounds like a lens problem, but I am baffled why it would only happen in shutter priority mode.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2012
    I am just as baffled as you are. After calling Canon they are recommending I send both the body and lens over. Just got to find the time where I am not taking pictures for 2 weeks! headscratch.gif
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,213 moderator
    edited June 12, 2012
    Is image stabilization on when this happens?
    Tried an ISO setting that isn't auto?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2012
    Yes, it does occur with regardless of if the IS is On/Off and mode (1 or 2). Tried different ISOs, and diff shutter speeds (was doing 1/100 for my shots, but tried faster with same result... 1/4000, 1/8000, etc.)