Options

Same Pose Different Angle And Light

Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
edited June 15, 2012 in People
From a shoot this AM. Playing around with light and camera angles and I liked the way the same pose and subject spot could look completely different with a little bit of a different camera angle and light direction.

These were taken about 60 seconds apart.

f2.8/750 ISO 200 Off Camera Strobe.

webhpBWB0226-Edit-L.jpg

About 60 seconds later after moving the light a bit closer to the camera and taking a few steps forward and standing instead of kneeling.

f2.8/500 ISO 200

webprintBWB0230-Edit-L.jpg

Which do you think is better?

Comments

• Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2012
    Tough call, but I think they're both good options for him to choose from. The top one has Rembrandt lighting, but the bottom one brings his eyes out better. I like the camera angle of the top one better as it tells more of a story. If that river is significant to him, the top one captures that better.

But I don't seem to know what I'm doing lately, lol.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    BountyphotographerBountyphotographer Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2012
    To me they both look pretty good, but I prefer the second one without the background which is a bit distracting (to me).
    I know its ironic from someone who had some pretty bad shot a week ago Laughing.gif
    I know its easy to give opinion that actually shoot perfect pictures but that's why I love dgrin.

They are both really good it just depends on the application I guess
    Bounty
    :photo
  • Options
    GothamGotham Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2012
    His expression and eyes are much better IMO in #2, but I much prefer the composition and angle in #1. I see some face-swapping in PS in this picture's future :)
  • Options
    jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2012
  • Options
    laurenornotlaurenornot Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2012
    I prefer 2 because his face seems significantly more defined from the background than in the first one.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2012
    #2 for me. Better expression, and better-balanced light because most of the brightly-lit tree is out of shot.
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2012
    Ditto on #2.