Options

Retina Macbook Pro finally has an IPS display

jdorseydesignjdorseydesign Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
edited July 19, 2013 in Digital Darkroom
I'm thinking this guy might make me sell my iMac and eventually just use a Macbook Pro for photo editing. The retina screen is 2880x1800 pixels and it is IPS. They announced that Aperture is already updated, and that Adobe Photoshop CS6 is going to be updated. Now Adobe just needs to update Lightroom and I can't think of a better notebook computer for editing photos.

http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/
J Dorsey Design Photography • jdorseydesign.com • Facebook Fan/Friend • Twitter @bartdorsey

Comments

• Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2012
    Thanks. Certainly a good thing in principal! But how much an advantage might depend on your point(s!) of view, and there is newer competing tech:

http://www.imagescience.com.au/kb/questions/2/Buying+Guide+to+Eizo+Monitors

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2012
    I guess my point was, up until now, a Macbook Pro hasn't been a viable option for using as a main machine for photo editing because of the lack of IPS display. I think the quality of this display once calibrated will be fine for a lot of photographers, including me.
    J Dorsey Design Photography • jdorseydesign.com • Facebook Fan/Friend • Twitter @bartdorsey
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2012
    I guess my point was, up until now, a Macbook Pro hasn't been a viable option for using as a main machine for photo editing because of the lack of IPS display. I think the quality of this display once calibrated will be fine for a lot of photographers, including me.

Yes, sure, understand!thumb.gif

You know, I would be a willing victim of Apple, goodness knows I tried a few times! But I just couldn't be convinced. The Photog Dept of the uni where I study has all the latest Apple tech, and I still see better rendering on my HP + Windows.

I am also impressed by Sony + Windows displays (Eizo is a step too high atm!).

http://pro.sony.com.au/pressrelease/asset/462100/section/broadcastreleases

Old link, but you get the drift.

If Apple is really making advances in display tech, then that is good news for everybody!

Neil

• Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2012
    I had my mind all set on a Lenovo workstation laptop that has the IPS display and is even offered with a color calibration device. But this macbook is looking pretty sexy for about the same $$. The thing that has me is all of the Flash stuff on it. That thing will flat out rip. But will it rip as much as the Lenovo with 16gb ram? I love the macs. But every time I touch one I can not for the life of me figure it out. I had to have a little kid tell me how to launch safari. So intuitive I can not figure it out. I guess I am just a PC guy? A mac would be a serious learning curve and investment in time and $$$
  • Options
    pmaxwellpmaxwell Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2012
    I just learned the the RAM on the retina MBP is **NOT** user upgradeable. I was having a hard enough time with the SSD not being user upgradeable and only 256gb. I will have to consider this purchase a little more.
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2012
    They offer one at 500gb and it said up to 750gb FLASH! Didn't see the price on the 750 option.
  • Options
    pmaxwellpmaxwell Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2012
    That option isn't on the base 15in retina, only on the already upgraded model.
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2012
    Zerodog wrote: »
    I had my mind all set on a Lenovo workstation laptop that has the IPS display and is even offered with a color calibration device. But this macbook is looking pretty sexy for about the same $$. The thing that has me is all of the Flash stuff on it. That thing will flat out rip. But will it rip as much as the Lenovo with 16gb ram? I love the macs. But every time I touch one I can not for the life of me figure it out. I had to have a little kid tell me how to launch safari. So intuitive I can not figure it out. I guess I am just a PC guy? A mac would be a serious learning curve and investment in time and $$$

rolleyes1.gif yep it's almost like right hand vs left hand for me! shame!

re Flash, I had the impression that it was on the way to sunset??ne_nau.gif

Neil

• Options
    mstensmstens Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited June 13, 2012
    pmaxwell wrote: »
    I just learned the the RAM on the retina MBP is **NOT** user upgradeable. I was having a hard enough time with the SSD not being user upgradeable and only 256gb. I will have to consider this purchase a little more.

It's soldered on, so not upgradable at all really (once purchased). The ssd is proprietary as well, and the battery is glued in. At least from what I've read. Based on this, I would t consider buying one. I'll be keeping my 2011 and NEC monitor.
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2012
    mstens wrote: »
    It's soldered on, so not upgradable at all really (once purchased). The ssd is proprietary as well, and the battery is glued in. At least from what I've read. Based on this, I would t consider buying one. I'll be keeping my 2011 and NEC monitor.

NEC good!thumb.gif

Neil

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,919 moderator
    edited June 14, 2012
    I was pretty dazzled when I saw the announcement. The basic machine is a little pricey for me, though not utterly out of the question. But the lack of upgrade possibilities makes me reluctant to buy the base configuration. It's probably good enough for my current needs, but not enough for the life of the machine. Given the essentially sealed case, an extended warranty is not really optional--memory chips and batteries do fail. I would also need to buy an external optical R/W drive and possibly a USB3 or Thunderbolt hard drive. And of course, since I'm on Windows CS5, I'll have to pay for an Adobe upgrade to switch to Mac, once they release a retina aware version of CS6. I haven't added it all up, but I'm guessing the final price will be closer to $4k, which is more than double what my current ThinkPad cost. Way too much for me, I'm afraid.

I applaud Apple for pushing the envelope with their new display and am looking forward to reading real-world reviews once Photoshop can take advantage of it. But I'm also looking forward to seeing the Lenovo and Asus equivalents, once they are produced.
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2012
    Also the video card is NVidia 650M which is not currently on the list of cards supported by the Adobe Mercury engine that's in Premiere and Photoshop CS6. Maybe it's in the process of being added though, because the AMD card in the previous Macbook Pro was supported.
    Richard wrote: »
    much for me, I'm afraid.

I applaud Apple for pushing the envelope with their new display and am looking forward to reading real-world reviews once Photoshop can take advantage of it. But I'm also looking forward to seeing the Lenovo and Asus equivalents, once they are produced.
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2012
    Richard, I thought there was a cross-licensing process for CS/PS from Adobe between PC and Mac platforms. So in theory, you'd only have to buy the upgrade to CS6. Also, USB2 external drives should continue to work. The two USB ports are 2 & 3. I've been on a machine with 8GB memory for a while and I know that that's the minimum I'd ever want, so just going for 16GB isn't a big leap. The question would be whether to plonk for the 768GB SSD. My gut says no. 512GB is enough given a laptop will never have enough internal storage for a fixed work location. Enough for a working image library when on the move and all my apps.

Sadly the retina display would be wasted. I have a big screen on my desk with a 2009 17" MBP attached and travel with an MBA. I'm seriously Jones'ing for a major desktop update that will include a big TB storage investment. If I was only going to have a single machine, it would be the new MBPr. Best of most worlds.

Oh, and you can always run Win 7 on it with the old PS5 until you save a bit more.
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2012
    This thing also has dual thunderbolt ports, so you could add an external thunderbolt hard drive for more storage, or a USB3 external drive if you don't need the thunderbolt speed. Or you could run a USB3 drive and two external monitors. One of these MBPs and a couple of 27" IPS displays would be pretty badass.
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2012
    NeilL wrote: »
    rolleyes1.gif yep it's almost like right hand vs left hand for me! shame!

re Flash, I had the impression that it was on the way to sunset??ne_nau.gif

Neil

I don't know if you are making a joke or not, but this is the OTHER kind of flash ;) Not the crappy one from Adobe ;)
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,919 moderator
    edited June 14, 2012
    michswiss wrote: »
    Richard, I thought there was a cross-licensing process for CS/PS from Adobe between PC and Mac platforms. So in theory, you'd only have to buy the upgrade to CS6. Also, USB2 external drives should continue to work. The two USB ports are 2 & 3. I've been on a machine with 8GB memory for a while and I know that that's the minimum I'd ever want, so just going for 16GB isn't a big leap. The question would be whether to plonk for the 768GB SSD. My gut says no. 512GB is enough given a laptop will never have enough internal storage for a fixed work location. Enough for a working image library when on the move and all my apps.

Oh, and you can always run Win 7 on it with the old PS5 until you save a bit more.
    Yeah, there is cross-licensing on CS but only on the current version, and I had been planning on skipping CS6 and waiting for CS7. You're right that I could run CS5, but the main attraction of this machine for me would be to have a better screen than my current 1680x1050 laptop. A non-retina aware application will use pixel doubling, and I think that would effectively reduce my current resolution.

I agree that 512 GB seems like the right number for the SSD--my current HD is 250GB and there's no way in hell I would buy a new machine that doesn't have more. In order to get 512, you have to also get a faster processor, which I wouldn't have done on its own merits. Up the memory to 16GB (also a long-term no-brainer, IMO), add a few other things I mentioned earlier (plus VMware and a Windows license--I have some Windows programs that I simply refuse to replace) and I'm looking at $4300 before tax. It sure would be nice, but too rich for me. :cry
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2012
    I don't know if you are making a joke or not, but this is the OTHER kind of flash ;) Not the crappy one from Adobe ;)

No, I don't know either!:D

Neil

• Options
    edited June 15, 2012
    Richard wrote: »
    too rich

I find that a serendipitous epithet for the manufacturer in question!:jose

Neil

• Options
    RevLinePhotoRevLinePhoto Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2012
    Still one thing I have trouble with that resolution on a 15in screen is not needed because to see the detail it puts out you need to be much closer to the screen. I feel The strong point for editing photos is having enough desktop space otherwise it feels cramped and small details are harder to see. The SSD and quad core I7 with loads of ram are tempting but for the price you can get a much better iMac or even entry MacPro.
    BMW Tech
    Live life to its fullest you never know whats in your future.
    WWW.REVLINEPHOTO.COM
  • Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2012
    Still one thing I have trouble with that resolution on a 15in screen is not needed because to see the detail it puts out you need to be much closer to the screen. I feel The strong point for editing photos is having enough desktop space otherwise it feels cramped and small details are harder to see. The SSD and quad core I7 with loads of ram are tempting but for the price you can get a much better iMac or even entry MacPro.

Thats my main issue with the resolution... its great for display, but for editing you'll have to zoom in a bit more than usual and that cramps it up even more
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2012
    I went to the Apple store today for issues with my iphone. They had a few of these suckers out on the floor for display. It is a damn sexy computer. Very thin, very light and the screen is truely amazing looking. I looked at my website so I was looking at pictures I know. The resolution is not weird at all. Things are not smaller or bigger. It is all scaled the same. The images had amazing color and detail. That is it. It would probably make you think your pics suck all the time.

I priced out what I would get. Upgraded processor 2.7ghz i7? 16gb ram and 512gb drive $3200. It has some things I do not have devices for. USB3 and Thunderbolt. It has no firewire. So this could pose a problem with my big external Lacie drives that are firewire, USB2 and ESATA.
    The Lenovo I am lusting after is $3000 without the SSD. It might have more speed out of the video card and it is upgradeable to 32gb ram. It also has a DVD slot or can be used for another HD. It also has all the right holes. HDMI, USB3, ESATA. So really I would need to look at all of the specs side by side on paper. The price is similar. They are both awesome brands and computers. The Apple would weigh in probably 1/3 the weight and it has a 7hr battery life. Not sure what the PC has. I am guessing only a few hrs with the monster processor video card it has. The Lenovo would be a seamless transfer and has a killer display with integrated color sensor. But I look at macs and get a bit of a boner. Even though I can not figure them out.

The girl at apple convinced me that it would be an easy switch and the new macs play well with PCs for file sharing and network stuff. Is this true or was she just giving me the apple propaganda?
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2012
    The "boner" and "the girl at apple", I can see the connection!eek7.gifrolleyes:D Otherwise... ne_nau.gif

Neil

I went to the Apple store today for issues with my iphone. They had a few of these suckers out on the floor for display. It is a damn sexy computer. Very thin, very light and the screen is truely amazing looking. I looked at my website so I was looking at pictures I know. The resolution is not weird at all. Things are not smaller or bigger. It is all scaled the same. The images had amazing color and detail. That is it. It would probably make you think your pics suck all the time.

I priced out what I would get. Upgraded processor 2.7ghz i7? 16gb ram and 512gb drive $3200. It has some things I do not have devices for. USB3 and Thunderbolt. It has no firewire. So this could pose a problem with my big external Lacie drives that are firewire, USB2 and ESATA.
    The Lenovo I am lusting after is $3000 without the SSD. It might have more speed out of the video card and it is upgradeable to 32gb ram. It also has a DVD slot or can be used for another HD. It also has all the right holes. HDMI, USB3, ESATA. So really I would need to look at all of the specs side by side on paper. The price is similar. They are both awesome brands and computers. The Apple would weigh in probably 1/3 the weight and it has a 7hr battery life. Not sure what the PC has. I am guessing only a few hrs with the monster processor video card it has. The Lenovo would be a seamless transfer and has a killer display with integrated color sensor. But I look at macs and get a bit of a boner. Even though I can not figure them out.

The girl at apple convinced me that it would be an easy switch and the new macs play well with PCs for file sharing and network stuff. Is this true or was she just giving me the apple propaganda?

• Options
    edited June 16, 2012
    Yep ne_nau.gif I am really not sure on this one. Either way I am saving up for a new system. I just use my laptop way more than I ever thought I would. My big desktop runs my TV now in my livingroom. I just like sitting on the couch or wherever to do work on the laptop. And when I shoot big events my laptop is the brain of our entire system running many computers and rockin lightroom all day to sort 1000s of pics. A faster brain would be a really nice addition. I might step over onto the dark side and try an apple.
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2012
    Go for it! The bit of light I can see over on the dark side shows me a throwaway computer in a couple of years. For a pretty picture?!eek7.gif

Power-speed-multi engine-connectivity-flexible storage-no "can't do's"-running wide range of big applications natively, yeah, that kind of thing I understand. But A's gilded cage... I hear the pretty door locking! Droop inducing!mwink.gif

Pretty pictures are another matter. If I can see the same on my display as I see on a top quality fine art A3 print of the same image that I couldn't be happier with, I reckon I'm basically there when it comes to pretty pictures. After that, it's Genuine Fractals/Perfect Resize, and no display can go there!

Neil

Yep ne_nau.gif I am really not sure on this one. Either way I am saving up for a new system. I just use my laptop way more than I ever thought I would. My big desktop runs my TV now in my livingroom. I just like sitting on the couch or wherever to do work on the laptop. And when I shoot big events my laptop is the brain of our entire system running many computers and rockin lightroom all day to sort 1000s of pics. A faster brain would be a really nice addition. I might step over onto the dark side and try an apple.

• Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2012
    I know a lot of people who are able to make really good use of windows software on mac's via Parallels. But in the end until you load up all your stuff onto the computer and see if it works as you want you just won't know.

I've found the people who staff the Apple store to not be any more up on tech. details than the staff at big box stores that sell computers.

I was at an Apple store recently to look at the new macbook. It seems very small and light for all that is packed into it.

The store staff figured out it was an IPS screen when the looked it up, but things like wide or regular gammut, no idea. Support for the mercury engine in photoshop... didn't know "that's a Windows thing"... it's actually display card thing and the previous macbook supported it.

If I was only using the computer for images and video (Photoshop and Premiere) it would be on my short list. But I have a lot of non image work I also have to do and the time to load everything up just to see if it works is just too much work.

• Options
    RevLinePhotoRevLinePhoto Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2012
    I have no problem with word documents and psd between mac and pc and I switch back and forth every day. When it comes to adobe products mac does seam to perform better with lesser specs however if you own photoshop for windows cs5 and cs6 you will need to purchase another copy or bootcamp windows on your mac. Sadly lightroom can go either way atlease with digital purchse from adobe but not photoshop which is very dissapointing.

BIG IF YOU ARE GETTING A NEW RETINA MACBOOK PRO
    Make sure you order exactly what you want because it can never be upgraded I dont remember if it was here or elsewere I foundout every thing is soldered so you cannot upgrade hard drive or ram so make sure you do no skimp on a single thing when ordering.
    BMW Tech
    Live life to its fullest you never know whats in your future.
    WWW.REVLINEPHOTO.COM
  • Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2012
    Make sure you order exactly what you want because it can never be upgraded I dont remember if it was here or elsewere I foundout every thing is soldered so you cannot upgrade hard drive or ram so make sure you do no skimp on a single thing when ordering.

Extortion ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2012
    Decisions, decisions.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2012
    Decisions, decisions.

16GB RAM Limit?
    tom wise
  • Options
    KingofthehillKingofthehill Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited June 18, 2012

I recently made the switch from PC to Mac. I go back to the DOS days and installing 11 disk's of Window's 3.11 so PC is really really ingrained in my brain.

I have had the mac for a few months now and it is weird. Without a doubt its a strange beast when being used to PC's but they are pretty damn impressive! I have the version RIGHT before the "NEW" thinner model just announced and im glad i do. The new ones are not upgradeable. RAM is soldered in and the SSD is what it is so you better buy the highest model 1st and be done with it.

Mine came with 4gb ram and 512gb Hdd, i swapped them out for $42 for 8gb ram and a $412 512gb Crucial M4 ssd and holy balls its fast. I just love it.

the biggest thing to get over IMO is the new "Gestures" for their "magic pad" aka touchpad. its no longer the way it was with PC's, now you are using it almost like a tablet.

I love the fact that i have the iphone and new iPad and it all just works in harmony!!! and its going to be even better when they release OS6 and Mountain Lion.

Im a fan with mine... not sure about the new proprietary models that cost in the thousands.

JOe