Nikon D5100 - Here we go...

RocketJohnRocketJohn Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
edited June 26, 2012 in Cameras
I've been following this forum for quite some time reading and lurking, lurking and reading. I pulled the trigger via Amazon on a D5100 18-55kit and a 55-200VR yesterday. I plan to pick up a 35 prime 1.8DX soon and a wide zoom later on...

I just wanted to say thanks for the regulars posting their thoughts, experiences and ideas concerning the consumer and pro digi camera realm, it's been very helpful to learn and not fall into common pitfalls.

I also wanted to thank the forum mods and owners for keeping this site alive and kicking. I came over here via Adventure Rider so I am used their style and support.

Anyway, the gear should arrive tomorrow and it will be my first DSLR. I had a decade or so of 35mm Canon Elan fun and since then have enjoyed the Canon G and S series. I've been avoiding weight, bulk and high costs but feel with price points for current levels of tech with slimmer bodies and lighter weights, the time was right to jump in... I don't take more than a few thousand shots a year so Pro level equipment would only serve to drain my budget and make my neck sore.

I will post my experiences and review of the D5100 kit in this thread, hoping it will keep me motivated to continue to take photos and extend what ever knowledge and experience gained to future and current members that my be interested...

Thanks again!

Comments

• WayupthereWayupthere Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2012
    John,
    Nice start!..and welcome to the forum beer.gif
    I bought my first Nikon in Denver..couple hundred years ago..:twitch
    Drove over from the western slope, to Waxmans camera store on Broadway. Don't know if they are around anymore..but that was one big candy store!!ylsuper.gif
    Gary
  • RocketJohnRocketJohn Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited June 13, 2012
    THanks... I don't know about waxmans, I've only been here since 1999. But I do know of this store, but have not been inside to look around: http://www.englewoodcamera.com/ that is on south Broadway.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,068 moderator
    edited June 13, 2012
    Congratulations on the new camera and lenses. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2012
    Congrats, and welcome to the club. If you're anything like me, you'll fall in love with that 35 f/1.8G when you get it and leave it on the body 90% of the time. I have the 55-200 VR, and it's a nice lens in good light, but I have no experience with the 18-55. If it's like the 55-200, you'll have a good time with both.

Enjoy your new gear!
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
    edited June 13, 2012
    I got the 18-55kit since it was only $100 more versus body only... My wife is used to zooms and felt like she would like to walk around with that lens especially when we travel... I am headed to USGP at Laguna Seca for MotoGp next month and hope to see what that 55-200VR can do...

the real question is what wide to go with... I'll have to do more research as my toy fund rebuilds...
  • cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2012
    RocketJohn wrote: »
    the real question is what wide to go with... I'll have to do more research as my toy fund rebuilds...

Yup, that's a good question. For the crop bodies, there are somewhat limited choices. The one on my list is the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8. I would rather have the f/2.8 vs. the extra 1-3mm on the Sigma 8-16, 10-20, or Nikon's 10-24. I have also been told that the 11-16 will work on full frame at 16mm, so if/when I go FX, I could use it as a wide prime.

What I'd really like is a fast prime in the 10-14mm range. I have seen on Nikonrumors that they have filed patents for 18 f/1.8, 20 f/1.8, and 10 f/4. That doesn't mean all (or any) of those will be produced, but I'd love to see a 14 f/2 or something like that. But until those exist, for my uses the Tokina 11-16 would suffice. I just need to find the money... :D
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
    edited June 16, 2012
    Grabbed a 35 1.8 DX yesterday on the way home from work at Mike's Camera...

Snapped this, this morning... fun lil' rig!

DSC0006-Version-2-L.jpg
  • NyftyNyfty Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited June 20, 2012
    From one ADV Rider to another
    Rocket John: Glad to see another ADV Rider over here. When I'm on two wheels I pack up my D90 with a Nikkor 18-200mm VR and a Nikkor 35mm 1.8. I also have the Nikkor 10-24mm for "going wide" but with the limited space I don't take it along. When I'm not on the cycle it works wonderfully. What I've done while riding is to use the 18-200 mm at 18mm in the vertical format and shoot several images so I can stitch them together later.

Other members might have a better idea; I'm just looking at it from a riders perspective.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
  • MikeWileyPhotoArtMikeWileyPhotoArt Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited June 21, 2012
    Hi RocketJohn, The D5100 is a great camera. I'm using it myself. If you do any low angle shooting you'll love the movable LCD. It's been saving my knees and clothes much wear and tear.

The dog portrait is awesome. Good looking pup!
    edited June 26, 2012
    We've been enjoying it and really enjoy having higher quality gear. Here are a few choice shots from the park. My wife is off to Germany for two weeks this Sat so I'm hoping she is able to fill that 32gb SD card!

DSC0021-L.jpg

DSC0024-XL.jpg

DSC0011-Version-2-L.jpg
    edited June 26, 2012
    I also picked up this: http://peakdesignltd.com/ I really like this clip system... especially for a light camera like the 5100... I will be breaking that in at the MotoGP at Laguna Seca next month...
  • WayupthereWayupthere Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2012
    RocketJohn,
    If you have the time Pikes Peak will be a great place to take action pictures. If you are a Ducati nut you can go to their VIP tent for some sweet angles. I am going to try to go, not sure of the date but they sent out a invite so fairly soon.
    Gary