Options

not happy with the d7000

racefanracefan Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
edited June 15, 2012 in Cameras
right now im pretty tick off with the camera, i just went out to take pics of the lightning and the camera would not auto focus worth a crap. i made sure that i had a focus point on a tree so it would focus. i missed about a dozen pics of the lightning because of this. my old d90 never had an issue...any tips or advice would be great....

Comments

• Options
    FearNothing321FearNothing321 Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2012
    racefan wrote: »
    right now im pretty tick off with the camera, i just went out to take pics of the lightning and the camera would not auto focus worth a crap. i made sure that i had a focus point on a tree so it would focus. i missed about a dozen pics of the lightning because of this. my old d90 never had an issue...any tips or advice would be great....

put it on Manual focus, focus the lens to infinity
    Nikon D800, Pentax K1000

You don't take a photograph, you make it. ~Ansel Adams

Blue Moon Originals
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2012
    the only issue i have is that its hard to tell when its dark if its focused..
  • Options
    Robert_CRobert_C Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited June 14, 2012
    I tried it before. I placed it in manual mode, set it to F8, focus to infinity, position the camera even before the strike happens, then press the shutter. It will take a couple of seconds but I got the shot.
    www.bobbycanlobophotos.com

“Photography is not about cameras, gadgets, and gismos. Photography is about photographers. A camera didn't make a great picture any more than a typewriter wrote a great novel.” - Peter Adams, photographer ( Sydney, 1978 )
  • Options
    FearNothing321FearNothing321 Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2012
    the only issue i have is that its hard to tell when its dark if its focused..

what lens are you using?

If there is no distance indicator, turn the focusing ring all the way to the left and back it off slightly
    Nikon D800, Pentax K1000

You don't take a photograph, you make it. ~Ansel Adams

Blue Moon Originals
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2012
    the only issue i have is that its (sic) hard to tell when its (sic) dark if its (sic) focused..
    What's that got to do with this particular model of camera? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2012
    I feel the D7000 is challenged in focusing in low light(predawn) even with a 2.8 lens. I use a flashlight and a zoomed in LCD screen to manually focus to help in those conditions. I did not use my D90 as much in those conditions, so cannot compare.
  • Options
    time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2012
    You must of had the D90 set to AF-C do the same with the D7K,
    you cant focus in the dark
    when i do lightning, i manual focus just before infinity, and take like a 5 second exposure @f16
    good luck
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2012
    I was using the kit lens..18_105, it was set on af_c
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,911 moderator
    edited June 15, 2012
    For lightning and fireworks, manual focus and either set the focus during daylight or use a remote specular light to focus on. I recommend reviewing the image (chimp) occasionally to make sure that focus hasn't been inadvertently changed.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums