Options

Squirrels

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited June 21, 2012 in Wildlife
I recently discovered a wee nature reserve near to where I live and these are the first shots I have taken of squirrels. I would appreciate any comments and advice when shooting these cheeky guys as I do intend to return.
Many thanks
Bob
Eskrigg-Natire-Reserve29-L.jpg
130614-L.jpg
130615-L.jpg
130616-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited June 20, 2012
    canon400d wrote: »
    I recently discovered a wee nature reserve near to where I live and these are the first shots I have taken of squirrels. I would appreciate any comments and advice when shooting these cheeky guys as I do intend to return.
    Many thanks
    Bob
    Eskrigg-Natire-Reserve29-L.jpg
    130614-L.jpg
    130615-L.jpg
    130616-L.jpg

I never received any replies to this post. Am I right in saying these shots are not too bad as I intend to return soon for a second attempt.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • Options
    peargrinpeargrin Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2012
    Hi Bob,
    I think there's a bit of prejudice around here by some towards the common American Grey Squirrel, probably because they can be real pests at bird feeders. Is it possible to rename your post Red Squirrel? I think it might draw some attention, as these creatures are beautiful! I think your photos are really lovely, nice sharp focus and interesting positions! My favorite is #2. The only things I would mention is to maybe widen the framing a little so areas (the tail) isn't clipped or too close. Also, sometimes the use of a flash can help when photographing a creature in the trees, with variable light across the subject. Have fun on your next expedition!

Best wishes,

Pear
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2012
    peargrin wrote: »
    Hi Bob,
    I think there's a bit of prejudice around here by some towards the common American Grey Squirrel, probably because they can be real pests at bird feeders. Is it possible to rename your post Red Squirrel? I think it might draw some attention, as these creatures are beautiful! I think your photos are really lovely, nice sharp focus and interesting positions! My favorite is #2. The only things I would mention is to maybe widen the framing a little so areas (the tail) isn't clipped or too close. Also, sometimes the use of a flash can help when photographing a creature in the trees, with variable light across the subject. Have fun on your next expedition!

Best wishes,

Pear

Thanks ever so much for looking and commenting. I have tried to change the heading but have been unable to do so. I would appreciate if anyone can change the heading to 'Red Squirrels' for me.
    These are definately red squirrels and not the horrible grey ones. I have noted what you have said Peargrin and the next time I will attach the flash. I am intending to take some nuts the next time and set them on a log or something and hopefully I will get a better background as I do not like those feeders.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • Options
    Dick on ArubaDick on Aruba Registered Users Posts: 3,484 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2012
    Nice series Bob. The second is my favorite.

Can't remember seeing this post (I watch them all on this forum) for I always leave a few words at every post with a picture.
    "Nothing sharpens sight like envy."
    Thomas Fuller.

SmugMug account.
    Website.
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2012
    canon400d wrote: »
    I have noted what you have said Peargrin and the next time I will attach the flash. I am intending to take some nuts the next time and set them on a log or something and hopefully I will get a better background as I do not like those feeders.
    Cheers
    Bob

The BG on your #1 was nice, but it looks like you missed the focus or have a little camera shake. The eye isn't tack sharp, nor are the ear tufts or whiskers. You aren't trying to hand hold that beast at 500mm are you? You got some nice poses, but you'll be much happier if you get the little guy away from the man-made perch. Can you put some little dabs of peanut butter or Nutella on a branch? That'll draw them.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2012
    Icebear wrote: »
    The BG on your #1 was nice, but it looks like you missed the focus or have a little camera shake. The eye isn't tack sharp, nor are the ear tufts or whiskers. You aren't trying to hand hold that beast at 500mm are you? You got some nice poses, but you'll be much happier if you get the little guy away from the man-made perch. Can you put some little dabs of peanut butter or Nutella on a branch? That'll draw them.

Thanks Thomas for looking and replying. Thanks also to you John for looking and replying. Yes I was hand holding that beast as you call it. It really is a tone weight and at 500 each time I take a shots I take a deep breath and try to hold it. But it doesn't always work. I will certainly try the peanut butter as it sounds a damned good idea.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • Options
    PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2012
    Bob, t his is a really good start, and I can't wait to see your next series! Best, Pam
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2012
    PGM wrote: »
    Bob, t his is a really good start, and I can't wait to see your next series! Best, Pam

Thanks for looking and replying Pam I appreciate those kind words.
    Cheers
    Bob