Options

An Old Cowboy's Last Ride

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited June 20, 2012 in Other Cool Shots
Tom Mix was one of Hollywood's brightest stars during the 20's, 30's and 40's. He was the reigning star of western films all of that time. All told, he made 291 films....both feature length and short format. He was as much a big story in real life as he was in the movies. His horse riding skills were legendary, as were his skills at shooting. He had done real-life cowboy work and brought those experiences to the silver screen.

Mix's lust for living the good life was always a huge story around Hollywood. Having been married 5 times didn't seem to slow down his craving for wild parties, living in huge homes, and doing whatever else his immense wealth provided for.

Mix had made friends with Wyatt Earp in Earp's later years and served as a pallbearer at Earp's funeral in 1929....where it was reported that Mix cried like a baby. Due to his larger-than-life persona, Mix found it easy to ease his way into the highest of social circles....people wanted to be associated with him. Interestingly, though, one up-and-coming western actor and Mix had a very contentious relationship....they hated each other. That other actor was none other than John Wayne. It was said that Mix saw his own star fading and greatly resented that Wayne was looking as if he was becoming a bigger star. Wayne, for his part, never forgave Mix for a false promise he gave to Wayne that he would help him break into the movies.

One of Mix's greatest loves was classy automobiles. The one you see below was his admitted favorite....a 1937 Cord 812 Phaeton. It was also the car in which he was killed. There were only 196 models like this one made....and only 3 that had these particular options, such as the external mounted spare tire. The other two made were owned by the jazz singer, Al Jolson, and the actress, Barbara Stanwick.

Mix was riding through Arizona in October, 1940. He came upon a washed-out bridge construction site, going a little too fast, lost control and went off the road. He had stashed an aluminum case on the shelf behind himself....one that was full of cash and jewels. The case flew forward, crushing his head and breaking his neck. He was 60 years old.

Amelia-Show-2-2012-081-X2.jpg

Amelia-Show-2-2012-084-X2.jpg

Amelia-Show-2-2012-086-X2.jpg

Amelia-Show-2-2012-087-X2.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2012
    What a car! And great back story. I was not aware that Mix and Wayne did not like each other. Love the TM initials on the hood, steering wheel and gun handle. Any idea as to the value of this piece of history?
    Randy
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2012
    rwells wrote: »
    What a car! And great back story. I was not aware that Mix and Wayne did not like each other. Love the TM initials on the hood, steering wheel and gun handle. Any idea as to the value of this piece of history?

Hi Pard,

The last time this car traded hands, it was through a private sale so there's no record as to what it sold for. Considering the car on its own merits, it is a very rare model and certainly one of the most coveted of all Cords. When you consider its tie-in to Tom Mix and add that dimension, the value soars to unknown heights. This car had its crash damage fixed in 1940. The current owner had it restored to the highest of standards in 2010. It is a stunning piece of rolling art. I can't even guess what it might sell for today.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited June 16, 2012
    I would think the car, with it's history, is worth quite a bit of money to the right person. I wonder with the three similar cars belonging to legendary performers, if that adds to the mystique of the car at all? No idea.

Magnificent looking and in every way a classic. The restoration looks fantastic.

Beautiful set of pictures too.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2012
    Amazing story Tom, thanks for sharing. Great car.

Last weekend I went to my very first car show. I was thinking of many of your pics I've seen here, I took three shots and my battery died, the spare one in my other camera bag...

Oh well...
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2012
    It's not every Sunday starts like this Sunday morning with as pretty and entertaining a piece as this, Tom!!:Dclap.gif This exhibit has moved out of the realm of "automobile" onto the higher plane of "folly". It is in danger of being crushed by its own excesses, and it is absolutely no surprise to me that it and its cargo of loot crushed the old cowboy in the end. I can imagine JW on his ho's up on the cut looking down as those final frames rolled with all his characteristic satisfaction that life was fair!

The question hanging like the dust in the air tho' is "Is there a better way to go?"!mwink.gif

Neil

PS Would love a tour of the dash!!:smo
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2012
    As always, super shots!
    Thanks for posting large - I get the feeling of being there and seeing something I might not have otherwise.
    Times have changed...I can't keep my revolver under the dash - classic!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2012
    Fascinating story and beautiful images to go with it. Thanks for posting.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2012
    ian408 wrote: »
    I would think the car, with it's history, is worth quite a bit of money to the right person. I wonder with the three similar cars belonging to legendary performers, if that adds to the mystique of the car at all? No idea.

Magnificent looking and in every way a classic. The restoration looks fantastic.

Beautiful set of pictures too.

Thanks for the visit, Ian. I appreciate the nice comment.

You hit upon the core issue when talking about the car's worth....finding the right buyer. In dealing with race cars, the roster of those who drove the car in competition can greatly influence the car's value. The same goes for cars like this one; the notoriety of the owner carries a lot of impact, particularly if the buyer is impressed by that facet of the car's history.

A prime example of such forces at work can be seen when examining the sales of vehicles owned by the late Steve McQueen. Huge premiums are paid......some say beyond all reason.....simply because of McQueen's prior ownership. I have no doubt that either of the two Cords similar to this one would benefit in a sale just because of Jolson's or Stanwick's ownership.

Tom
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2012
    Juano wrote: »
    Amazing story Tom, thanks for sharing. Great car.

Last weekend I went to my very first car show. I was thinking of many of your pics I've seen here, I took three shots and my battery died, the spare one in my other camera bag...

Oh well...

Boy, haven't we all had experiences like that with batteries.:cry

Thanks for looking in,

Tom
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2012
    NeilL wrote: »
    It's not every Sunday starts like this Sunday morning with as pretty and entertaining a piece as this, Tom!!:Dclap.gif This exhibit has moved out of the realm of "automobile" onto the higher plane of "folly". It is in danger of being crushed by its own excesses, and it is absolutely no surprise to me that it and its cargo of loot crushed the old cowboy in the end. I can imagine JW on his ho's up on the cut looking down as those final frames rolled with all his characteristic satisfaction that life was fair!

The question hanging like the dust in the air tho' is "Is there a better way to go?"!mwink.gif

Neil

PS Would love a tour of the dash!!:smo

As always, Neil, I love to hear from you. You often can provide an insight that may have escaped me.

The dash in that car is truly one that captivates the viewer.

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2012
    Earache wrote: »
    As always, super shots!
    Thanks for posting large - I get the feeling of being there and seeing something I might not have otherwise.
    Times have changed...I can't keep my revolver under the dash - classic!

Thanks, Eric, for the kind words.

The gun location.....yea, another of our rights that have been eroded.

Tom
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2012
    Snowgirl wrote: »
    Fascinating story and beautiful images to go with it. Thanks for posting.

Hi Ceci,

Thanks for the nice comments.

I'm looking forward to seeing more postings from you. You've been keeping too low of a profile lately.

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    ilbcnuilbcnu Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2012
    Beautiful images of a grand auto! I have driven by the marker where this accident happened quite a few times - thank you for adding more to the story with images and history!!
    Amanda
    It is never to late to become what you might have been.
    www.behindthezoom.com
  • Options
    lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2012
    Awesome car and story ! I noticed the lights on the front , are those lights that flip up on the front fenders? Him getting crushed by the box of money and jewels reminded me of a Trans Am I wiped out in the seventies ",before air bags " my passenger and I, were both wearing seat belts ,but they didn't stop him from flying into me sideways on impact, that alone crushed both of us up against the driver door almost killed the both of us , luckily we both survived . BTW good job photographing the Yellow !
  • Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2012
    I cant help but think that the police who took care of the crash scene didn't take a bill and a jewel or two for themselves... nothing stopping them!
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2012
    Interesting story behind the person who had this car. Always thought John Wayne was the 'only cowboy' :D
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2012
    That is an amazing story! The interior shot is equally amazing...such color! Laughing.gif...can you imagine riding around today with a built in gun holster?
  • Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2012
    You fooled me, Tom.w I thought you had finally switched from
    cars to people. Thread titles are not to be trusted.

As usual, great photographs and interesting backstory. Well
    worth opening.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2012
    ilbcnu wrote: »
    Beautiful images of a grand auto! I have driven by the marker where this accident happened quite a few times - thank you for adding more to the story with images and history!!

Hi Amanda,

Thanks for the visit.

Tom
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2012
    lensmole wrote: »
    Awesome car and story ! I noticed the lights on the front , are those lights that flip up on the front fenders? Him getting crushed by the box of money and jewels reminded me of a Trans Am I wiped out in the seventies ",before air bags " my passenger and I, were both wearing seat belts ,but they didn't stop him from flying into me sideways on impact, that alone crushed both of us up against the driver door almost killed the both of us , luckily we both survived . BTW good job photographing the Yellow !

The Cord in the picture did indeed have flip-up headlights....one of the first cars to do so.

Boy, the 70's and a Trans Am. I owned a 1974 Trans Am SD 455. Red with black interior. In fact, the Trans Am of that year was only available in 3 colors....red,white, or blue. I really wanted a white one but the red one was the first SD 455 I could get get my hands on so I took that one. I had the automatic transmission worked on so that it gave real positive shifts. I had a 4:10 rear end put in and had the carb massaged. Damn, I miss that car....even after all these years.

Tom
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2012
    I cant help but think that the police who took care of the crash scene didn't take a bill and a jewel or two for themselves... nothing stopping them!

Actually, some of the road crew repairing the washed-out bridge were on the scene way before the cops. I'm not sure that the aluminum case even opened because of the wreck.

Thanks for looking in,

Tom
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2012
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Interesting story behind the person who had this car. Always thought John Wayne was the 'only cowboy' :D

Wayne certainly took over the King's chair once he got rolling. But there were all kinds of cowboy stars before he showed up. Bob Steele was a big one. William S. Hart was even bigger yet. Tom Mix, however, was the acknowledged leader of the pack for quite some time.

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2012
    Eia wrote: »
    That is an amazing story! The interior shot is equally amazing...such color! Laughing.gif...can you imagine riding around today with a built in gun holster?

Thanks, Eia, for dropping by.

There's nothing shy about Mix's car....inside or out. But then it fit his personality perfectly.

Tom
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2012
    TonyCooper wrote: »
    You fooled me, Tom.w I thought you had finally switched from
    cars to people. Thread titles are not to be trusted.

As usual, great photographs and interesting backstory. Well
    worth opening.

Hi Tony, it's always great to hear from your quarters.

You should know all about using titles.:D:duel They're a little unmerciful on you over in the Documentary forum.
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2012
    Another great story, Tom! Yellow is hard to catch correctly and you surely did it with this set. I also like the interior shot. I keep telling Paul I want an old truck....but I know nothing about them. Whenever I make it to FL I will get you to take me to a car show.

Take care my friend,
    Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2012
    Wow! That's a beautiful Cord.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2012
    redleash wrote: »
    Another great story, Tom! Yellow is hard to catch correctly and you surely did it with this set. I also like the interior shot. I keep telling Paul I want an old truck....but I know nothing about them. Whenever I make it to FL I will get you to take me to a car show.

Take care my friend,
    Lauren

You are absolutely right, Lauren. Yellow can be a real bear to handle sometime. That's when experience can come to the rescue; when your camera is trying to sneak one by you.

See ya',

Tom
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2012
    eL eSs Vee wrote: »
    Wow! That's a beautiful Cord.

Yes sir, it is for sure. That's one of those cars where we gather up the gang, jump in, put the top down and just ride.:ivar

Take care, Lee,

Tom
  • Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2012
    Hi Tony, it's always great to hear from your quarters.

You should know all about using titles.:D:duel They're a little unmerciful on you over in the Documentary forum.

Sometimes I feel more attention is given to titles than to the
    images. I have trouble believing that someone can be that
    confused because of a thread's title.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2012
    Wayne certainly took over the King's chair once he got rolling. But there were all kinds of cowboy stars before he showed up. Bob Steele was a big one. William S. Hart was even bigger yet. Tom Mix, however, was the acknowledged leader of the pack for quite some time.

Take care,

Tom

Yeah Mix was very popular in Australia. In the bush, American Westerns were avidly consumed. There seems to be an audience generation gap between Mix and Wayne, tied pehaps to the one being pre WW2 and the other post. But both had a stare and a turn of mouth that made guns a bit superfluous!mwink.gif

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix