2/3 moon

morrisphotography2003morrisphotography2003 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
edited November 13, 2005 in Holy Macro
Ok I am trying to get used to my new glass, phoenix 650-1300 w/ 2x adaptor. So I decided to take it out for a little moon shooting to see how it handles, and I liked what I got so here it is.
ISO 200
Ex. time 0.01s (1/100)
Focal length (just about 1600mm)

yes this was taken with the use of my tripod and needed very minor cropping with minimal curves adj.

Enjoy and tell me what you think - Bob
43991559-M.jpg

Comments

• prity goldfishprity goldfish Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2005
    i like how it turned out too!! new glass is always fun and exciting!thumb.gif
  • morrisphotography2003morrisphotography2003 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2005
    thank you. Any time I get new toys for the camera I love to take them to the sky to see how they are going to handle with shooting the moon. Counting down to the next full moon - Bob.
    i like how it turned out too!! new glass is always fun and exciting!thumb.gif
  • Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2005
    Impressive! I viewed the "large" version - you might want to link to that one so everyone can see more of the detail.

I'm waiting for the full moon too so I can point my new toy at it :D
  • morrisphotography2003morrisphotography2003 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2005
    by request
    43991559-L.jpg
    Phil U. wrote:
    Impressive! I viewed the "large" version - you might want to link to that one so everyone can see more of the detail.

I'm waiting for the full moon too so I can point my new toy at it :D
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited November 12, 2005
    Here's mine from last night. Taken with a Canon 20D, 100-400 tele, TC1.4x.
    Sized-down for the web.

IMG_0070.jpg

Might be my best ever, now that I think about it.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2005
    This is awesome!
    kdog wrote:
    Here's mine from last night. Taken with a Canon 20D, 100-400 tele, TC1.4x.
    Sized-down for the web.
    Might be my best ever, now that I think about it.
    If you don't mind sharing - what were the other shot parameters (iso, f/stop, speed)? What kind of post did you apply?
    Thanks!

PS
    Man, I need that TC...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited November 13, 2005
    Thanks, Nikolai! F11, 1/30s, ISO100, manual focus (cause of the TC), MLU, remote shutter release, crappy tripod which I still need to replace. PS/CS2 parameters were autolevels, USM sharpening of course, and the thing that really brought it to life was adjusting the "highlights" slider on the shadows/highlights panel. That was the best out of a dozen shots or more. I'm hoping I'll get more consistency when I get my tripod situation squared a way.

-joel
    edited November 13, 2005
    Joel,
    kdog wrote:
    Thanks, Nikolai! F11, 1/30s, ISO100, manual focus (cause of the TC), MLU, remote shutter release, crappy tripod which I still need to replace. PS/CS2 parameters were autolevels, USM sharpening of course, and the thing that really brought it to life was adjusting the "highlights" slider on the shadows/highlights panel. That was the best out of a dozen shots or more. I'm hoping I'll get more consistency when I get my tripod situation squared a way.

-joel
    Thanks for the info!thumb.gif
    You got me confused: I thought TC1.4 provides for AF to work fine. Or is it because you pushed it to f/11 and AF with TC works only under f/8 or smth like that?

Withing the same lines: any particular reason why "f/11 1/30s" and not, say, "f/5.6 1/120s"?
    edited November 13, 2005
    My pleasure, Nikolai. On the 20D with the 100-400 and TC, autofocus is completely disabled. You can tape three pins to disable the disable (sic). However, I've heard mixed results with this, so I haven't bothered to try. I figure if it worked well, Canon wouldn't have disabled it.

You lose a stop with the TC, so f8 is wide open. I tried both f8 and f11, and f11 definitely seemed to give better results. Makes sense I guess. Most lenses don't perform at their best wide open.

-joel
    edited November 13, 2005
    Joel,
    kdog wrote:
    My pleasure, Nikolai. On the 20D with the 100-400 and TC, autofocus is completely disabled. You can tape three pins to disable the disable (sic). However, I've heard mixed results with this, so I haven't bothered to try. I figure if it worked well, Canon wouldn't have disabled it.

You lose a stop with the TC, so f8 is wide open. I tried both f8 and f11, and f11 definitely seemed to give better results. Makes sense I guess. Most lenses don't perform at their best wide open.

-joel
    Thank you very much for the details. I never heard of taping pins on TC/lens before. But since I remember something about AF working on TC only *below* f/8 it kinda all fals in one bucket, one way or another..

And yes, since f/8 becomes wide open, it does make perfect sense to stop it down to f/11...

Darn, I was so counting AF would work on TC1.4 + 100-400 combo.. TC is on my short list of things to get.rolleyes1.gif

Thanks again!
    edited November 13, 2005
    Taping TC pins
    Found some interesting readings on FM:
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic2/298899
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/TipsPage/

HTH