Options

My 17 year old

MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
edited June 20, 2012 in People
My daughter just turned 17 and wanted some birthday photos. I'm not quite sure when she got that old. :dunno Any thoughts?
61612-1-L.jpg
61612-6-L.jpg
61612-5-L.jpg
61612-2-L.jpg
61612-3-L.jpg
61612-7-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2012
    Wow, has she grown over the past few years I've been here......gonna break alot of hearts.
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2012
    Thanks, Charles. Any comments about the pics or the poses? This is my first "Senior" set.

#2 looks a bit cool to me now that I see them all lined up. I did gel the flash to warm it up a bit, but the sky kept changing color rapidly as the sun went down.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2012
    Mitchell, Steph is beautiful as always (17??!?!??!?!), but something about this set isn't quite clicking for me.

I like the back/rim-light in #1, but it isn't so much "glow" as ORANGE on this monitor. I like the colour of the light best in 3, but you might need to move the black point up a bit so it doesn't look over-hazy.

4 is nice - the pose works for her - but it's a little flash-ier than I usually see from you. What modifier did you have on it?

Not sure about the poses holding the grass; they feel a tad awkward. I think I'd like them more if she wasn't looking straight into camera while doing it so that I felt like she was engaged with what she was doing with he hands.

5 is your usual lovely headshot (oh, what you do with eyes!), but my eye is drawn to the one patch of background which isn't green.

Hope that helps - is this a "first run" as you put together a batch of sr pix for her? :D

Wow what a gorgeous young lady you have there. Presumably this means it's senior year coming up. Does she have college plans yet?
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2012
    Mitch, I hate to be the one to tell you this.... but it was a shock to me to learn that 18 comes right after 17 ! Prepare now. I ordered my youngest child to never age beyond jr high... 2 days ago she told us they are expecting. Don't blink.
    What does your daughter say about the photos? I love the color of her dress in the sunny shots and the tiny purple flowers. Nice job even without the garage! She looks a little shy, a nice trait in a teen these days!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2012
    Mitch, I hate to be the one to tell you this.... but it was a shock to me to learn that 18 comes right after 17 ! Prepare now. I ordered my youngest child to never age beyond jr high... 2 days ago she told us they are expecting. Don't blink.

~fingers in ears~ LALALALALALLAALALLALA can't HEEEEAAAARRRRRR you rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    Mitchell, Steph is beautiful as always (17??!?!??!?!), but something about this set isn't quite clicking for me.

I like the back/rim-light in #1, but it isn't so much "glow" as ORANGE on this monitor. I like the colour of the light best in 3, but you might need to move the black point up a bit so it doesn't look over-hazy.

4 is nice - the pose works for her - but it's a little flash-ier than I usually see from you. What modifier did you have on it?

Not sure about the poses holding the grass; they feel a tad awkward. I think I'd like them more if she wasn't looking straight into camera while doing it so that I felt like she was engaged with what she was doing with he hands.

5 is your usual lovely headshot (oh, what you do with eyes!), but my eye is drawn to the one patch of background which isn't green.

Hope that helps - is this a "first run" as you put together a batch of sr pix for her? :D

Wow what a gorgeous young lady you have there. Presumably this means it's senior year coming up. Does she have college plans yet?

Thanks for the great reply, DM.

I took these last week while we were vacationing in Georgia. Unfortunately, I could not take my garage with me and was forced to head outside of my comfort zone.

#4 is the only one without a flash! Your modifier question made me chuckle. Just the late setting sun. It is a bit hot.

The others are lacking a black point. I dialed up the black using a levels adjustment, but she liked the haziness of the field shots into the sun so I left a bit in.

As I mentioned, the WB seems a bit wanky to me today on several of these. The posing is weak. I need to work on that. I do have a few of her looking at the wildflowers, but I was not really impressed since there was no good viewer contact. I will revisit those thanks to your suggestion.

These are not actually her "senior" photos. Those will come at a later date if she allows.

No college selection yet. She is off this week with my wife looking at Emory, Duke and UNC Chapel Hill.
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2012
    #4 is the only one without a flash! Your modifier question made me chuckle. Just the late setting sun. It is a bit hot.

What's the catchlight at 11 o'clock - is that the sun? How funny - it totally looks flashed to me, although your flash is usually so subtle that I was surprised to be able to "notice" it!!

You'll get beautiful shots of her, I'm sure - these are a perfectly good warmup set, some nice pix of a holiday, no doubt, and I can't wait to see what you come up with throughout her senior year!!

Does she know what she wants to major in yet? THat's half the battle, I think - once you know WHAT, you can start to figure out where :)
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2012
    I'm going to chime in with my two cents on image number four and six.

The light on the lovely lady's face seemed flat and under exposed in relationship to the rest of the scene for a portrait. I looked at the exif data and found two things.

You have the camera set to pattern metering and aperture priority. I think you may have been better served using spot metering along with the aperture priority when using off camera flash. Or, after you spot meter for the background switch to manual and kick the ss up one notch from the metered background.
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2012
    1-2-3-6 I'm not a big fan of lens flare or "Indie" type photography, but that is just personal preference. I consider it right up their with Nehru jackets.

1 has promise but needs hands on the hips to indicate some attitude. I seem to use that word alot in my sessions and as a result I think I get some great expressions.
    2 & 3 have lots of promise if exposed in the traditional manner.

Remember painters use paint to create light patterns......we actually have to use that light to create patterns.....meaning we really paint with light and that really is the name of the game. 2-6 don't have that dirrection of light and as a result they are flat.
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    ~fingers in ears~ LALALALALALLAALALLALA can't HEEEEAAAARRRRRR you rolleyes1.gif

heheeee you really made me laugh with that post DM Thanks for the great start to my day.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2012
    New pics with true black point set as advised. These are a bit better to my eye. Please excuse the bra straps!

61612-14-L.jpg

61612-12-L.jpg

61612-11-L.jpg

61612-13-L.jpg