Family DSLR - D90 or D3100???

jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
edited June 19, 2012 in Cameras
Hi all,

I was thinking of an SLR for my wife and kids to use (my 8yo really wants one!) and here in Switzerland both the D90 with 18-105 and D3100 with 18-55 have come on sale for 480chf (about 500usd).

Which would you choose and if possible why?

I'm erring towards the D3100 because it's a bit smaller and a bit newer...

Thanks for any tips.

Comments

• jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2012
    D3100. The sensor is newer and widely regarded as one of the best APS-C sensors ever. It is made by Sony and used in several different cameras from different brands. The D3100 also has built-in tutorials and help menus. And it's smaller which will be good for your wife and kids.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • MavMav Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2012
    I think you mean the D3200 when you say that the sensor is widely regarded as one of the best...
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2012
    No, D3100. What hobbyist needs to deal with 24mp? The D3200 may score higher in DxO's bench races, but the enthusiast will not notice any deficiency with the D3100. If the top priority is very low light shooting, then maybe.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • MavMav Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2012
    I stand corrected - I hadn't heard about the 3100 being rated quite so highly, but I do take your point about the size of files.