Options

Peregrine 2012 Season - Part 4 17 June 2012

PeterD-2009PeterD-2009 Registered Users Posts: 618 Major grins
edited June 22, 2012 in Wildlife
The conditions yesterday were almost ideal. I stayed about 1 hour.

The chick that I thought was close to fledging in fact took its first flight on the 13th. Another chick took its first flight on the 16th but was still not confident enough to fly much and spent the day hunkered down at the cliff top,

beneath the vegetation. The third chick had not attempted to fly yet and remained in the nest site.

When I arrived, the adult female was feeding the chick on the nest site.
P6171997DxO-2-L.jpg

It was still hungry after the adult left.
P6172001DxO-2-L.jpg

About half an hour later, the adult flew over the crest of the cliff face clutching another pigeon.
P6172011-Editfiltered-L.jpg

Immediately, the fully fledged chick flew up to meet it in the hope that it was its turn to be fed, calling out loudly to make itself be noticed.
P6172021-Editfiltered-L.jpg

For the next 5 minutes or so, the two birds twisted and turned in flight. Very good practise for the young bird.
P6172024-Editfiltered-L.jpg
(the juvenile)

P6172025-Editfiltered-L.jpg
(the adult flying back to the top of the cliff face)

P6172036-Editfiltered-L.jpg
(Another try for the pigeon)

Finally, the adult had decided the game was over and flew straight back to the chick at the nest site, leaving the juvenile to pass overhead.
P6172040-Editfiltered-L.jpg

To give you some idea of the agility and speed of these birds, I include a short video I took.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enUX5I8tD-M&feature=autoplay&list=ULenUX5I8tD-M&playnext=5

Comments

• Options
    Dick on ArubaDick on Aruba Registered Users Posts: 3,484 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2012
    Great captures and video Peter. They sure are fast!
    "Nothing sharpens sight like envy."
    Thomas Fuller.

SmugMug account.
    Website.
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2012
    Thanks for your reply Dick. I understand that their flight speed can, during a hunt, exceed that of any other bird. From still images, you cannot appreciate how hard it is to capture these in flight.
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2012
    Sensational captures, especially #3. clap.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2012
    Harryb wrote: »
    Sensational captures, especially #3. clap.gif

Thank you Harrythumb.gif. I love following these birds at this time of the year. They are so graceful and agile in their movements.