Options

Storing EXIF information?

elyobelyobelyobelyob Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
edited November 13, 2005 in SmugMug Support
When I upload my pictures, is there anyway of keeping the EXIF information? I also want to keep the EXIF on the resized images.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2005
    elyobelyob wrote:
    When I upload my pictures, is there anyway of keeping the EXIF information? I also want to keep the EXIF on the resized images.

Thanks

Hi,

If you upload pics with EXIF intact, the exif will be there on smugmug, too. You have to enable "camera info" in your "customize gallery" settings in order to see the clickable exif link under your pics.

Some imaging editors will tear the exif away during processing, and most all will do just that if you use "save for web" option instead of "save as."

Finally, if you download a -L, or -M size from smugmug, you'll not see the EXIF in those versions.

I hope this helps,
  • Options
    SnapHappySnapHappy Registered Users Posts: 328 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2005
    I'm having this problem too, enabled camera info and saving either as 'save as' or just 'save' but when it uploads into smugmug the exif data doesn't show. Using a program 'GraphicConvertor X v4.9' to do any post editing. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2005
    SnapHappy wrote:
    I'm having this problem too, enabled camera info and saving either as 'save as' or just 'save' but when it uploads into smugmug the exif data doesn't show. Using a program 'GraphicConvertor X v4.9' to do any post editing. headscratch.gif

Something in your photo editor is stripping the exif.
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2005
    Strange thing is when saving I get this screen which clearly stated it embeds the exif data.. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2005
    I have recently been through this with another smugmug customer - it usually boils down to the exif in fact being stripped in post processing, or "camera info" not being checked in the customize gallery feature on smugmug.
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2005
    Snaphappy:

I'm looking into it further. Thanks.... Please don't move or delete any files from your "all creatures great and small" gallery ok?

And, I'd like to know, exactly word for word please the workflow from camera to postproc to smugmug for pics 1 and 5 in that gallery.

Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2005
    No probs, I'll leave them as is.

What do you mean by word for word workflow?

thanks for looking into iit.
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2005
    The pics were loaded from the 350D straight to iphoto, from iphoto I exported them into a folder on desktop. I then open them up in GraphicConvertor, altered brightness/contrast/sharpness and then save as. this then saves them onto the desktop again where I have uploaded them from into smugmug! I think this is what you meant!!
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2005
    SnapHappy wrote:
    The pics were loaded from the 350D straight to iphoto, from iphoto I exported them into a folder on desktop. I then open them up in GraphicConvertor, altered brightness/contrast/sharpness and then save as. this then saves them onto the desktop again where I have uploaded them from into smugmug! I think this is what you meant!!

Did you do something different to pic number one (the blue bird) vs. pic number 5 (the green bird)?
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2005
    andy wrote:
    Did you do something different to pic number one (the blue bird) vs. pic number 5 (the green bird)?

Yep, think pic 5 was just exported to desktop then into smugmug, whilst no.1 I used unsharp mask in GC, saved then uploaded.

I've just uploaded direct from iphoto to smugmug in the challenge gallery and it has included the exif. So it must be GC that's for some reason stripping exif.

I'll try saving the files back into iphoto then upload from there and see if this gets round the problem.
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2005
    SnapHappy wrote:
    Yep, think pic 5 was just exported to desktop then into smugmug, whilst no.1 I used unsharp mask in GC, saved then uploaded.

I've just uploaded direct from iphoto to smugmug in the challenge gallery and it has included the exif. So it must be GC that's for some reason stripping exif.

I'll try saving the files back into iphoto then upload from there and see if this gets round the problem.

Problem solved!
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2005
    andy wrote:
    Problem solved!

Not Quite but at least I know it's Graphic Converter, no matter what, as soon as I use this to do any adjustments it strips the exif even though in preferences all the right boxes are ticked!!?? headscratch.gif

I'm trying to get an answer to the problem via a mac site, but I'm hoping to move onto PS as soon as I get my RAM upgraded.

(I have all originals in iphoto with exif available should I need them)

Andy, thanks for your time on the subject.