Options

Keyword searching

Wireman131Wireman131 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited June 24, 2012 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Hello,
I have recently become a SmugMug Pro. For the most part I am pleased with the flexibility of the site and the wide range of features.

I shoot running events; Marathons, 5 and 10 K races. http://agp.smugmug.com

To start out my SmugMug account I uploaded this years Marathon pictures and this years 5 and 10K race. I want to make things as easy as possible for my customers so I went through every picture and added keywords that corresponded to every visible race bib number. Once complete with the most recent race I thought the keyword listing was the slickest thing I have seen in a while.

The next gallery to tackle was the Marathon. Once I began updating keywords (race bib numbers) in the Marathon gallery and quickly discovered a problem. The keyword list was indexing ALL keywords - all of a sudden the slick keyword search thing was not going to work at all. Clicking on bib number 23 brought up results from 2 different races, confusing, no good.

I spent some time chatting with a SmugMug Hero about the issue and came to understand that there was no way to list the keywords by gallery - it was all or nothing. It was suggested to add a prefix to the number to identify which race the bib number belongs to. I did this - and am very displeased with the way the keyword list looks and displays. Changing the keywords was a major pain - I wish there was a way to import/export a csv, or .xls file or anything. Or a batch processing option....

For someone that wants to continue adding race photos with an index of bib numbers, what is the best practice for accomplishing this??

Thank you,
Wireman131 - AGP Anthony Gaudio Photography

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2012
    Hi Wireman131 and welcome to Dgrin! wave.gif

Check out this thread on the same subject. That should be what you're looking for. That's basically making use of combining keywords to limit the keyword results.
    Here's an example of how this works. If you look at the SmugMug race keyword, it's giving you 10000 results or so. If you now combine that with the car keyword like this, the result is just above 300 photos - the photos that contain both race and car as keywords.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    Wireman131Wireman131 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 22, 2012
    Awesome! That was exactly what I was looking for. I implemented the modification to the first gallery with no problems. Thank you!
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2012
    You're welcome, Wireman131. :)
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero