portrait by the beach

BountyphotographerBountyphotographer Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
edited June 28, 2012 in People
Overcast day mean no harsh light, yesssssssssss.
I used my flash side way which I think was not great since it doesnt cover both model.
Again my time was very limited and the model ( family) gave me a whole 10 minutes to take 6-8 different shots. I just got my cowboy studio light and will from now on shot off camera with the flash shooting straight. What do you think?

p4-L.jpg

p1-L.jpg
:photo

Comments

• GothamGotham Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2012
    Nice enough results, but why agree to do a 10 minute shoot when you know it takes much longer than that to get great results?
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2012
    No harsh light on overcast days but then no direction of light. You have to have direction to give the shot depth. That's where your flash or reflector comes in.
  • PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2012
    I think it was a great opportunity missed. I love the bright overcast days for soft light then a pop of fill flash to sparkle the eyes and brighten faces. Your flash sideways did not cover both faces and actually detracts. In #1 the flash is aimed at her knees and in front lower left. Maybe you could burn that area and brighten the face to save something. As they are I would toss them, you don't want these being shown around to friends as your work. Sorry they felt 10 minutes for 6-8 shots was adequate, maybe now they see the err in their thinking.
  • BountyphotographerBountyphotographer Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2012
    I agree with all the comments and was the first one to notice that the flash didnt cover everything, but have a very good understanding of what to do now.
    My MAIN problem is begging the model to stay longer without driving me crazyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.
    This is my family so .....I always end up losing Laughing.gif.
    Again Im usually posting the shot for critic only, best tool for me to learn.

Thanks

Bounty
    :photo
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2012
    I was going to say this must be his own family! That's pretty much how it goes with mine. Clients will easily give me an hour or more, but I'm lucky to get 15 minutes with my own kids.
  • CowboydougCowboydoug Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2012
    I was going to say this must be his own family! That's pretty much how it goes with mine. Clients will easily give me an hour or more, but I'm lucky to get 15 minutes with my own kids.

You Got That Right... Dang family is the worst... LoL
    I can't get my wife to open her dang eyes... It's a curse I tell ya, a curse... headscratch.gif

My only addition to comments is... Shorten your DOF and dump the flash for a reflector...
    I'm a Kidnapper... I take terrible pictures of people, then hold them for ransom.

Cowboydoug
    Certified Journeyman Commercial Photographer
    www.iWasThereToo.com
  • YaflyyadieYaflyyadie Registered Users Posts: 558 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2012
    I can't understand how such a couple of beautiful ladies are capable of cutting short a photo session in which they look so natural.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    No matter what, beg if necessary, but keep them on the lens side of your camera as much as possible.bowdown.gif

A reflector will produce very good results as Cowboydoug wrote.

Y.