What Do I Know About Modeling?

imaximax Registered Users Posts: 691 Major grins
edited November 13, 2005 in People
Absolutely nothing. But I have been asked by several women interested in having their headshots done as well as 3/4 and full body shots taken. I practiced on my daughter

43861308-M.jpg

And also on her friend

43861291-M.jpg

The rest of these can be seen http://imax.smugmug.com/gallery/954270

Then it was time to meet up with a wonderful sport by the name of Nazy.

43990368-M.jpg

She is from Iran and quite proud of her heritage. She has some great business ideas and wanted to capture some images that she could also incorporate into the business.

43990346-M.jpg

Unfortunately I did a poor job of directing her in her posing.

43990415-M.jpg

43990374-M.jpg

Tomorrow morning I am meeting two women who want to have there photographs done and I need help!

Is there anyone out there who knows of a website or a book that can teach a person how to help a model pose in what would appear to be comfortable positions? Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated as always. Thanks for any input.
Joe

Comments

• lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2005
    imax wrote:
    Absolutely nothing. But I have been asked by several women interested in having their headshots done as well as 3/4 and full body shots taken. I practiced on my daughter

And also on her friend

The rest of these can be seen http://imax.smugmug.com/gallery/954270
    Then it was time to meet up with a wonderful sport by the name of Nazy.

She is from Iran and quite proud of her heritage. She has some great business ideas and wanted to capture some images that she could also incorporate into the business.
    Unfortunately I did a poor job of directing her in her posing.
    Tomorrow morning I am meeting two women who want to have there photographs done and I need help!

Is there anyone out there who knows of a website or a book that can teach a person how to help a model pose in what would appear to be comfortable positions? Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated as always. Thanks for any input.

Joe
    Hi Joe.. she's beautiful! I think posing is just something you have to learn over and over trial and error. I would check out some portrait site and see what others do. Also check out some of Yuri's shots on this site.. in my humble opinion his work is superb. I like number 1 but you've cropped the top off her head (I do that all the time and get reprimanded!) #2 pulls my focus from her face to the top of her arm.. it's too close to the camera in my opinion. 3# is a nice idea, there is rather a lot of shadow on her face and a highlight on her nose. 4 and 5 did'nt do it for me.

I think you are difinitely on the right track and I'd love to see what you come up with as I too struggle with model posings or lack of. Number 1 is lovely, you've captured her eyes beautifully. did you crop it, can we see it without the top so tightly cropped?
    Hope this helps.
    Lynn
  • imaximax Registered Users Posts: 691 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    Hi Joe.. she's beautiful! I think posing is just something you have to learn over and over trial and error. I would check out some portrait site and see what others do. Also check out some of Yuri's shots on this site.. in my humble opinion his work is superb. I like number 1 but you've cropped the top off her head (I do that all the time and get reprimanded!) #2 pulls my focus from her face to the top of her arm.. it's too close to the camera in my opinion. 3# is a nice idea, there is rather a lot of shadow on her face and a highlight on her nose. 4 and 5 did'nt do it for me.

I think you are difinitely on the right track and I'd love to see what you come up with as I too struggle with model posings or lack of. Number 1 is lovely, you've captured her eyes beautifully. did you crop it, can we see it without the top so tightly cropped?
    Hope this helps.
    Lynn
    Hey Lynn,

Thanks for taking the time. I agree with you Yuri does wonderful work. Here are several fro today.

Candy

44177635-M.jpg

44177639-M.jpg

44177646-M.jpg

44177655-M.jpg

Hilda

44178923-M.jpg

44178937-M.jpg

44178952-M.jpg

44178927-M.jpg

Plenty more to go through but that's a start. The important thing I learned today was to have fun with it. These two girls had a blast and enjoyed it. They were happy with all the pictures so far and are already talking about doing it again so they made my day. Thanks again for taking the time to respond Lynn. If you get a chance let me know what you think of these!
    Joe B
  • ShannonWShannonW Registered Users Posts: 248 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2005
    Ok, I have had this link up on my browser for days. I went to school for commercial and portrait photography. So with that said I am going to give you some pointers. Oh, and let me say these are good for not knowing much about portrait photography.

43861291-M.jpg

This is nice light from the window and a good expression. Her shoulder has become the main focus of this picture. This was a very hard lesson for me to learn. When you position someone to their side make sure they are sitting/standing up straight and shoulders are back. Or turn her back more towards you and have her look back at you. You can reference the pose I am talking about by going this link http://www.shannonseye.net/portraits/3.html
    This is a nice casual pose so maybe a straight back is not ideal but her rolling her shoulder back or you moving to the right of her might have made a big difference.

43990368-M.jpg

Good head shot, I like the fact that her eyes are on a third. There is a bad highlight on her nose and not enough light in her eyes. I think all this picture needs is a light reflector and the highlight on her nose could be avoided by moving the cloth over her head.

43990346-M.jpg

If you are going to do a profile side view make sure to have both her eyes in the photo. I am sure she does not have a big nose but, it looks it here. She should be at 3/4 turn. Your first picture is also a good reference to what I am talking about. Check this picture out as well as an example of what I mean http://www.shannonseye.net/portraits/2.html I took these all while I was in school and got A's. I hope I am not coming off sounding like a JERK :cry

43990415-M.jpg

This is better light and nice whimsical pose. although she kinda has raccoon eyes. Her arm placements are ok. The only thing I would really like to see is into her eyes. Again the reflector.

43990374-M.jpg

I like this one even the shadow doesn't bother me that much. I think the color is a little off though.

Hope this helps. I know I have a lot to learn. I am just repeating things I learned in school.
    -Shannon