Options

Another Vintage Children's Session

Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
edited June 26, 2012 in People
I think I finally have the lighting schematic down pat on these. Shot in .jgp, SOC with a 4x5 crop and slight vignette applied. Main is a large softbox camera left at 5.6, fill a one by three softbox at 2.8, camera right. 5.6/125 200ISO. Printed images will look slightly different.

i-QXrDZQh-L.jpg

i-xD9bjFk-L.jpg

i-V8P2GKF-L.jpg

i-NVMHJNk-L.jpg

i-cG6BXxK-L.jpg

i-zcD9sJR-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    KellyCKellyC Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2012
    Excellent work as usual.clap.gif

The only thing I do not like is the wrinkled backdrop under the wheel of the tricycle in #5
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2012
    You've hit on a gold mine and you do it sooooo well.
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2012
    Brilliantly done! I am impressed! I bet the parents just love them.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2012
    I think the lighting is great, and the poses and connection of the subjects to the camera are good.
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2012
    KellyC wrote: »
    Excellent work as usual.clap.gif

The only thing I do not like is the wrinkled backdrop under the wheel of the tricycle in #5
    Thanks...
    Yup that bothers me too! For some reason, parents just have a hard time not dragging their feet when walking on my background. Grrrrr
    Hackbone wrote: »
    You've hit on a gold mine and you do it sooooo well.
    Laughing.gif...Well, at the moment, I think it's more like a coal mine....but if I wait long enough the coal may just turn into diamonds!

Thanks Charles.
    Snowgirl wrote: »
    Brilliantly done! I am impressed! I bet the parents just love them.
    Thanks Snowgirl...Yes, they did.
    jonh68 wrote: »
    I think the lighting is great, and the poses and connection of the subjects to the camera are good.
    Thanks John, interaction with three and four year old children is always a challenge.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2012
    It's hard to image that with a little marketing you can't turn this into a premium children's photography business that makes real money!!

Sam
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2012
    oh my gosh, you have found your calling. Yep this could be a gold mine for you, awesome images, just wonderful. wow. love the bike, the teddy bear, love the kids, the eyes are fabulous. what do the parents say??
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2012
    Sam wrote: »
    It's hard to image that with a little marketing you can't turn this into a premium children's photography business that makes real money!!

Sam
    Thanks Sam!

Currently, I am indeed working in that direction. But, like the old adage, everyone wants to go to heaven, but no one wants to die currently applies.

Many people want to have this done, but, they want it done at Wal-Mart Studio prices. I just can't/wont do that. I do have the process streamlined from start to finish to the point where I can do it at a very reasonable price as compared to "custom" studio shoots, but it makes no sense to do so for people at chain store studio prices.
    VayCayMom wrote: »
    oh my gosh, you have found your calling. Yep this could be a gold mine for you, awesome images, just wonderful. wow. love the bike, the teddy bear, love the kids, the eyes are fabulous. what do the parents say??

Parents loved the images. They were however a bit upset that they couldn't get full res image files because they paid a 20.00 sitting fee. :Dne_nau.gif

Thanks for your kind words Mom!
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2012
    Thanks Sam!

Currently, I am indeed working in that direction. But, like the old adage, everyone wants to go to heaven, but no one wants to die currently applies.

Many people want to have this done, but, they want it done at Wal-Mart Studio prices. I just can't/wont do that. I do have the process streamlined from start to finish to the point where I can do it at a very reasonable price as compared to "custom" studio shoots, but it makes no sense to do so for people at chain store studio prices.

That is the current market we live with. There is a chain studio that advertises a family studio photo session and 8x10 for around $20. I can't compete with that. I would rather help my friend with his house painting business than do that.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2012
    One thing I have discovered: if the sitting fee is reasonable and you get good shots (which I have no doubt you will), people WILL buy extra edits (or prints, if you're selling paper). I have a "quickie" headshot package which is $150 for a 45 minute shoot including one edited image, and EVERY SINGLE PERSON who has ever chosen that package because they didn't want to pony up for the full package (no time limit + 3 edits) has after the fact wound up spending MORE than the full package would have been, because they wanted extra images.

Obviously, my heashot market is different than yours, which is more heavily saturated. It's definitely not a guarantee. You can't be sure. Your market may need to start with a lower sitting fee etc etc etc. BUT.... word it and structure it right, and you might be surprised.

Just my experience; YMMV.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2012
    Thanks Sam!

Parents loved the images. They were however a bit upset that they couldn't get full res image files because they paid a 20.00 sitting fee. :Dne_nau.gif

Thanks for your kind words Mom!

First I would seriously market your children's photography as a premium service. Forget competing with Craigslist and Wall Mart. They can't do what your doing!

Obviously it will take considerable thought to develop a complete product line, pricing and marketing, but you have the basic product.

The mall portrait / children's photo studios around here have cheap sitting fees. $19.95 etc, but the average sale is in the $285.00 range. They typically spend 15 min shooting using $12.00 per hour photographers. They spend the time and effort selling mom and dad after the shoot. They get one chance then and there to buy outrageously priced prints.

I have seen anywhere from nice clean uncreative images to absolute junk from these places. Most clients could easily get better quality for the same or even less money.

Market your creativity, quality, upscale products (various print material, size etc.). Guarantee everything.

Sam
  • Options
    GothamGotham Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2012
    Back to the subject of the photography (rather than the marketing): the shots are great. My only suggestion would be to shoot lower DOF on the wider shots. At 5.6, the background is too sharp for my liking on the full length and wide shots (though it looks great on the headshots).
  • Options
    cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2012
    That is a very well thought out setup and the pictures are beautiful!
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.
  • Options
    BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2012
    You really are brilliant at this style Bryce. Every one is as much artwork as photography.thumb.gifthumb

Now if I could get you together with a few of my models...............................
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen