Let me take this rest for now. . .

jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
edited June 25, 2012 in Street and Documentary
7405276342_7f645614dd_b.jpg

This man was sleeping not too far from the old woman I saw. A lot of memories ran into my mind when I saw him. He reminded me of myself when I was still a teenager. Unable to cope up with the pressures of life, I ran away from home and walked aimlessly on the streets of Manila. Without any idea how far away I was from home, with the day getting late and no money in my pocket, I looked for a safe place to lay my head on the cold, gray pavement on the corner of a street. My mind and my body was so tired to continue walking. At that moment, I let my body rest, unmindful of the busy life that surrounds me. I wonder if it was the same with this man. Is he sleeping in a public place because he has no home or this is home for him? Questions that I have no answer of. Thank you very much for viewing.

Nikon D70, Nikon 50mm f/1.8D lens, ISO 400, f/2.8 at 1/100 second.
Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/

Comments

• PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2012
    I like the image and interesting narrative. Gives you a perspective a lot us don't have. The angle of the shot seeing his face with a normal scene behind and the shade of the large tree is just right. Probably a bit lacking in overall storytelling and no WTF at all, but an image that invokes at least a bit of thought. I have done some work with homeless youth in my area so seeing these might invoke a bit more thought on my part. The stories of some of these people can be amazing and heart wrenching, now to tell it somehow in pictures rather than just a single shot of a man sleeping outside.

Your processing of this is impeccable. The focus is very good and crisp giving the image an almost 3D feel. The tones are rich and full blacks without blocking up. His face is in shade but there is still good detail. Reminds me of the best of silver prints with fine grained 4x5 or medium format enlarged on a nice pearl semi-matte paper. Some of the best processing to BW I have seen on this or any forum.
  • jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2012
    I like the image and interesting narrative. Gives you a perspective a lot us don't have. The angle of the shot seeing his face with a normal scene behind and the shade of the large tree is just right. Probably a bit lacking in overall storytelling and no WTF at all, but an image that invokes at least a bit of thought. I have done some work with homeless youth in my area so seeing these might invoke a bit more thought on my part. The stories of some of these people can be amazing and heart wrenching, now to tell it somehow in pictures rather than just a single shot of a man sleeping outside.

Your processing of this is impeccable. The focus is very good and crisp giving the image an almost 3D feel. The tones are rich and full blacks without blocking up. His face is in shade but there is still good detail. Reminds me of the best of silver prints with fine grained 4x5 or medium format enlarged on a nice pearl semi-matte paper. Some of the best processing to BW I have seen on this or any forum.

Thank you very much for your very nice comments, Photogbiker.

I am very much humbled by your comment about my black and white conversion process. I did not realize that people would find it good because I simply based my "technique" on what I think would suit best the type of photograph I captured. I must be doing something right for you to say that it is impeccable. Thank you very much again, Sir. thumb.gif:D

• Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2012
    Jiro, I'll echo what photogbiker said, and remind you that your processing is some of a consistent quality that really stands out. This image is a stand out too, with a perfect composition. I'm not sure if I might've gotten even lower, but that is not something I can really comment too much on.
    edited June 24, 2012
    Quincy T wrote: »
    Jiro, I'll echo what photogbiker said, and remind you that your processing is some of a consistent quality that really stands out. This image is a stand out too, with a perfect composition. I'm not sure if I might've gotten even lower, but that is not something I can really comment too much on.

Thank you very much, Quincy. I really appreciate you taking the time to view my work and sharing your opinion about it. Thanks! thumb.gif:D

• PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2012
    It is a good conversion of a good composition, jiro. Your back story about yourself adds to it. Well done.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
    edited June 25, 2012
    Patti wrote: »
    It is a good conversion of a good composition, jiro. Your back story about yourself adds to it. Well done.

Thank you very much, Patti. thumb.gif:D