#105 Hi-Key possibilities

dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
edited June 25, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
High key is so out of my comfort zone! I tend to have dark pictures, dark backgrounds, sometimes too dark for most people. Trying to go light is a hard concept for me but here goes. Went for a ride with a friend today and ran across a couple of things, but these two shots were my favorites of the day.
The gallery is here with several versions I have gone through trying to get the right balance to tones. http://donna-niemann.smugmug.com/Contests/Dgrin-Challenges/DSS-Challenge-105-High-Key/23743724_xwJLzT#!i=1923066041&k=GJWvvdR

Any opinions?

IMG8479-n-2-XL.jpg

IMG8480-6-XL.jpg

Comments

• PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2012
    I like #2... nice framing there.
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2012
    I think most of us tend to shoot mixed keys letting composition, exposure and subject do the work.

My fav from your gallery is the 'power' shot, #10. I like this subject but I don't think it really allows you much latitude in discovering the differing tones within a key that another subject could.
    tom wise
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2012
    Thanks PedalGirl!

Tom, Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.
    This is one of those true, learning challenges for me. I may not get it, but then, at least I am trying huh? My problem has been just trying to come up with an idea... and one just struck me that I have to try!
    edited June 24, 2012
    Here is another subject that presented itself to me this morning. All the ones I tried for this morning didn't work, this one was just for fun and comes closer than the ones with effort. The sun was brutal this morning and while I wanted it bright is didn't work for me the way I had hoped for the others shots this morning.

IMG8613-1-XL.jpg

and this is the one from the gallery that Tom mentioned above...
    IMG8482-2-XL.jpg
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2012
    That flower photo is spot on to me. Due to using the key it guides our eyes to the prime subject. And there are gradations of tone AND color!

And yes! Love that power shot! Maybe I'm wrong on this one. It looks a lot better to me now than this a.m.~

:)
    tom wise
  • kds1kds1 Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2012
    I agree with Tom! I love that flower shot! Super!
    edited June 25, 2012
    Thanks for the input!
    I am still going back and forth. I can't decide which I like... it changes every time I look. :)
  • JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2012
    I really like the daisy shot, very crisp, I'd like to see it with the exposure increased on the flower leaving just enough dark tones for accent. But, that is just my own interpretation of 'high key', I think the subject should be high key, not just backlighting, or a blown out background weighting the histogram. I think number 4 perfectly fits the challenge, but I'll buck the trend and say that I think number 2 is a stronger shot.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
    edited June 25, 2012
    Thanks all,
    I think it is just time to go with my gut, and at the moment it is saying #2. I appreciate all the help on this one!
  • WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2012
    Good choice.
  • slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,209 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2012
    I absolutely love the flower. It really stands out in the crowd. Of the others, I would choose #2. When compared to the other entries in the challenge gallery, I would vote for your flower and maybe not choose your #2. Take that for whatever it's worth...

Sherry