Sharpening help

MarkSMarkS Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
edited November 13, 2005 in Finishing School
After reading Rutts excellent tutorial on sharpening I decided to try some techniques on my shots. However I'm still not sure if I am doing the right thing or over sharpening. Maybe I am not used to seeing sharpened images and just need to see more.
Any way here is a shot that I liked originally, sharpened using Rutts techniques and I'm not sure if I like it as much.What do you think?

Original:
44065606-L.jpg

Sharpened:
44067081-L.jpg

Comments

• BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2005
    MarkS wrote:
    Any way here is a shot that I liked originally, sharpened using Rutts techniques and I'm not sure if I like it as much.What do you think?

I'll have a go at a reply.

I see maybe a touch of sharpening but the colour change is far more noticable to me.

Looking at the top left area the orange of the leaves is more subtle and better in the original. The new version is just too much.

Also the left edge green is now too much.

So is the centre green bush.

I imagine you see what I'm getting at now. Same with foreground and right tree leaves.

I prefer the original as basicly the colours are more to my liking. So I'm wondering if your confusing your dislike for pic 2 for the same reason and not that of a sharpening problem.

Bod.
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
  • MarkSMarkS Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
    edited November 13, 2005
    Hmm ...I see what you mean and I did tweak the saturation a bit.
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2005
    Tree branches and leaves are very very easy to oversharpen, but at least on my laptop screen you don't seem to have done that here. You'll know when you have because the lighten halos will result in obvious enlargement of the sky showing through between the branches and leaves. That doesn't seem to have happened here.

You can try sharpening at the very end on a separate layer. Then use use the eyeball to toggle the visibility on/off for a direct comparison of the sharpened vs unsharpened image. You can also fine tune the amount of sharpening with the opacity slider. Or even take it to the next level of accuracy with this technique: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=9739
    If not now, when?
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2005
    If i had done it, the sharpened version would look too sharp and drive me nuts.

(I would go to edit to that slider thing and reduce the sharpening until I could stand it.)

However, If Dixie of some others had presented your sharpened photo as theirs, I would love it.

I am learning to "accept" a bit more sharpening and color saturation than I used to sometimes.

I just think it is a preference thing, until it gets really too much with halos or something.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • MarkSMarkS Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
    edited November 13, 2005
    Thanks Rutt,

Just read part 2 and it sounds interesting no chance to try it yet, but I soon will.

Ginger, I think I have the same problem to the extent that evrything seems over saturated or sharpened.

Thanks for the feed back all!
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2005
    MarkS wrote:
    Thanks Rutt,

Just read part 2 and it sounds interesting no chance to try it yet, but I soon will.

Ginger, I think I have the same problem to the extent that evrything seems over saturated or sharpened.

Thanks for the feed back all!
    only thing i would do to the origional is maybe up the contrast a bit to make the leaves "pop" :). great photo.

-daniel-
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com