HIPAA Questions

Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
edited June 26, 2012 in Street and Documentary
Howdy friends,

I know we've brought up this discussion before with regard to medical images. Does anyone have any experience/knowledge of photographing the birth of a child? In this case, said child is my daughter, which we expect within a couple of weeks. I'm just trying to prepare myself for the event as best possible, both in a paternal manner and a photographic manner.

Thanks!

Comments

• jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2012
    Hey, Quincy. I did! Photographed the birth on my 2 kids before. It was both Cesarean so imagine the images taken. My advice to make it work are:

1. Be sure to ask permission from the doctors involved. Some are not as considerate even though you are the father so make sure you get their approval (and be friendly with them!)
    2. Ask if flash is tolerable inside the OR or not. But if your gear is up for it I would probably recommend to shoot at ISO 800 - 1600 with a fast lens.
    3. Keep your distance from the operating table. I took my pictures at about 8 - 10 feet away from the action.
    4. Pre-plan your shots and where you will position yourself once the operation starts.
    5. Don't forget to follow the nurse that would weigh in your kids once he/she is delivered. You wouldn't want to miss that shot!
    6. After delivery, focus on the baby since the doctors will stitch back the opening on your wife's belly (if cesarean). If it is a normal delivery, stay inside the OR until everything is done.
    7. Lastly, don't forget to thank the whole staff for allowing you to photograph it all.

In addition, don't forget to let somebody take a picture of you and your family right after birth.

Good luck and congratulations in advance! thumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifclap.gifclapclap.gif
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • nitewagnitewag Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited June 24, 2012
    Health care professional here, and jiro gave some good advice. I would add in addition to the getting the docs approval also check with the hospital also. HIPAA mainly deals with health care professionals such as myself divulging your private info to others. There no law against you yourself telling other folks about your conditions. Oh the most important thing I would say do is in your case make sure you consult with your wife on what photos she wants taken.
  • Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2012
    Thanks folks, this is useful info and what I expected to hear. Another noisy night for the 7D hahaha. I think I'll bring my 35mm along as well, just for a few token images.
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2012
    Quincy T wrote: »
    Howdy friends,

I know we've brought up this discussion before with regard to medical images. Does anyone have any experience/knowledge of photographing the birth of a child? In this case, said child is my daughter, which we expect within a couple of weeks. I'm just trying to prepare myself for the event as best possible, both in a paternal manner and a photographic manner.

Thanks!

This is really an individual hospital/doctor question, Quincy, not a HIPPA question. Most places now allow photography of vaginal deliveries, while it's not uncommon to have them bar it during cesarians. Assume you can't use flash, but that shouldn't be an issue with a 7D.

And remember, word to the wide - you're there for your wife, not for photos.mwink.gifrofl
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2012
    Hey
    First - congrats!
    Second - I shot both of my kids births. Both were cesarean. Used a 50/1.8 on a crop camera and stood by my wife's head. Anesthesiologist was great about lowering the curtain so I could get shots of the birth - you may need to ask him/her to do that so you have a good field of vision. Doc was awesome and I sent her some stills after.
    Video is a no-no almost anywhere and I would strongly recommend against flash. Having been on the other end as a medical resident, flash would be very distracting and you do not want to distract your medical team during a birth. And you should have no problems with light. ORs and L&D rooms are very well lit and the spotlight happens to be on the baby mwink.gif
    Only move from your position (if in the OR) when the nurse gives you the ok and do NOT touch anything. First few seconds are hectic with APGAR scores, etc. Also, just cause the kid is out doesn't mean your wife is done and doesn't need you anymore.
    Not sure what your experience is with 'blood and guts' but, well, it's a beautiful but not pretty experience. Make sure you bend the knees while standing and sit quickly if you feel at all queazy.

here are my shots if it helps:
    i-7GTdqcP-M.jpg

i-9CJw5n4-M.jpg

i-snwkfRq-M.jpg
    edited June 24, 2012
    Thanks eoren, and BD. I won't forget my purpose there, no need to worry about that, but my wife wants images she can look back on and appreciate. It's a much different perspective than the one she'll have.
  • jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2012
    eoren1 wrote: »
    Video is a no-no almost anywhere and I would strongly recommend against flash.

Is video really a no-no? You're a good bit younger than me, but during my medical training I do remember people video recording births. I didn't train as an OB/GYN though, so not a lot of experience with this.
    Not sure what your experience is with 'blood and guts' but, well, it's a beautiful but not pretty experience. Make sure you bend the knees while standing and sit quickly if you feel at all queazy.

I second this advice. I once saw a husband pass out during a delivery, and he was a transplant surgeon! There is something about watching one's spouse going through all this that can make many people queazy!
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited June 25, 2012
    Nothing but ongratulations and good luck!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited June 25, 2012
    Mot an ob/gyn either but video was a no during training and at both hospitals where my kids were born - dc and Boston. Saw something about the burgeoning field of birth photography and they also mentioned it was stills only at nearly all hospitals.
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2012
    I have no comment about taking the images since both of my children were
    born in the days before fathers were allowed in the delivery room of the
    hospital.

However, I would caution you about the distribution of the photos. Many
    people are not at all comfortable about being shown such private images.

I'm one of them. I really don't want to see them. I'm not prudish, but
    I do feel that this event is something that need not be shared with just
    anyone.

It's awkward for me when I'm around some friend or relative (younger,
    of course) who offers to bring out the album of delivery photos or the
    video. It seems rude to say "No", but I'm really not interested. (I
    skipped through the images in this thread.)

I'm not squeamish, either. I spent my working career as a distributor
    of specialty surgical devices and have spent thousands of hours in
    surgery observing all kinds of surgical procedures. (Not childbirth,
    though, since hospitals do not allow non-patient-approved observers
    in delivery)

What you do is your business. Just don't make it someone else's
    business unless you are absolutely sure they want to be involved.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
    edited June 25, 2012
    Howdy friends,

Thanks!

Here's a cesarean I shot for The New England Journal of Medicine
    - keep in mind that I wasn't the Dad.mwink.gif Just click on the slide show.

And here's a day and night spent with an obstetrician, including a cesarian delivery and a vaginal delivery of twins.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

edited June 25, 2012
    bdcolen wrote: »

Here's a cesarean I shot for The New England Journal of Medicine
    - keep in mind that I wasn't the Dad.mwink.gif Just click on the slide show.

And here's a day and night spent with an obstetrician, including a cesarian delivery and a vaginal delivery of twins.

Thanks for sharing these. #17 from Beth's day is awesome. Great composition, timing. Captures the feel of residency/hospital life perfectly.
    edited June 25, 2012
    Thanks, Eyal. By the way, I should have noted that Beth's Day was all shot on film - Tri-X pushed - mostly with Leica M, some Nikon.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

edited June 25, 2012
    All the more impressive mwink.gif
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2012
    When my wife was expecting, she told me in no uncertain terms that I was not to film, photograph, or videotape the actual birth. Which was fine by me, as I prefer to think that babies come by cabbage patch or stork.

At any rate, I think that things went better with me as a coach and cheerleeder, helping through what turned out to be a difficult birth. That kind of thing is hard to do when your face is smooshed behind a viewfinder.

If you do decide to photograph the event, don't be surprised if at some point your wife gives you some highly creative advice regarding where to stick that camera.
    edited June 25, 2012
    bdcolen wrote: »
    Thanks, Eyal. By the way, I should have noted that Beth's Day was all shot on film - Tri-X pushed - mostly with Leica M, some Nikon.

Thanks for these B.D.
    edited June 26, 2012
    Thanks for these B.D.

You're most welcome, Quincy. By the way, one thing photographic thing to be aware of: delivery rooms and O.R.s are bizarrely lit. The room itself tends to have overall, flat, relatively bright light. But the surgical field will be as bright as the sun on a July day, many, many stops brighter than the rest of the room. If you expose for that area, you throw the rest of the room into darkness, and if you expose for the room, you will blow out the field. Take a look at those New England Journal images. What this does is create some interesting images in terms of whether what we see in photographs is literally truthful.mwink.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2012
    Quincy!
    Congrats :)
    I can't wait to see what you shoot, if you shoot rolleyes1.gif.
    You never know how you will react til you're in it. I hope you're not a fainter rolleyes1.gif.
    You got some great advise already.

I read talk of video. ABout 10 years ago I videotaped a birth, this is before I had a clue about photography. I was asked to video my sister in law. I chose the most unflattering POV and stationed myself behind the doctor. THe video is so graphic that it can't be shown to anyone. WHen the scissors came out for the episiotomy and I heard the clicking sound of skin being cut the video starts to slide down to the floor as I slide my way down the wall and tried not to faint. :)
    Liz A.
    _________