Options

Stats on Small Photos

Moon MullenMoon Mullen Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
edited November 11, 2005 in SmugMug Support
I noticed recently that the stats in my gallery are skyrocketing but it is only on small or thumb images. Predominantly on small images. I'll upload photos and within a couple of days there are over 250 hits on the image. Any idea what would cause this to occur? I use a stat tracking software and according to the stats I rarely get more than 10 visits a day. I only noticed this because I went over 1 gb for the first time in bandwidth used. Still not approaching the limit for sure, but I just want to understand how this happens. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Moon Mullen

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2005
    I noticed recently that the stats in my gallery are skyrocketing but it is only on small or thumb images. Predominantly on small images. I'll upload photos and within a couple of days there are over 250 hits on the image. Any idea what would cause this to occur? I use a stat tracking software and according to the stats I rarely get more than 10 visits a day. I only noticed this because I went over 1 gb for the first time in bandwidth used. Still not approaching the limit for sure, but I just want to understand how this happens. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Moon Mullen

Hey Moon,

It has to do with a few things - one, a typical "smugmug" style page has 15 thumbs and one medium image. Two - I was on your site for about an hour yesterday looking at photos of Brother Joe and Cheryl (be sure to wave.gif say Hi to them for me!) lol3.gif

Here's some details from our stats page that might help:
    tats details:

These stats represent "real" hits only, not cached hits. Chances are good that a high percentage of these "hits" are unique photo viewings, since the vast majority of web browsers will cache the images.

Every time someone views one of your photos, at a specific size, for the first time, a "hit" is logged, and you see that statistic here. Every time they come back and view that photo, their view is NOT logged a 2nd, 3rd, etc time.

When they view a different SIZE of that same photo, though, another "hit" is logged, again, once only. So someone who sees your "thumbnail" and then also sees your "Medium" sized photo will create 2 "hits", hence the way the graph breaks down your stats.

The most important numbers are probably those for Medium, Large, and Original, since that indicates how many people looked at your larger photos after seeing thumbnails (so-called "conversion ratio"), but that's really entirely up to you.

Of course, linking directly to large photos on eBay, a message forum, or in an email will dramatically skew the ratio, so take it with a grain of salt.

I hope this helps...

All the best,

Andy