Options

What can I do next time?

EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
edited June 29, 2012 in People
What could I or should I have done 'right'? My son gave me five minutes to take a photo of the two of them....he got a call...getting deployed and not much time, no change of clothes and won't remove his cap. Add to it all...he hates getting his picture taken and she loves it! Hopefully there is a next time! Is the comp ok? Lighting too harsh? I know the second is too soft but how about the pose? Suggestions please.

i-tvbDmRF-XL.jpg

i-LbqVLFn-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2012
    Ok, this is what I would do on the first one. It is one of my favorite poses. They need to be turned a bit more toward each other and her right hand needs to be more on top and toward the inside of his so your not looking into that grip and back of the hand. If they were turned a bit more she would not have to tip her head so much. Don't smuch her face into his so much and I know you didn't have a chance to change clothes but don't let anyone wear sleeveless tops in a portrait. I think you lighting is ok I might drop the exposure down a tad to have more direction of light.

With you constraints you did a good job. Please thank him for his service and we always pray for the safety of our men and women serving our country.
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2012
    Eia wrote: »
    Hopefully there is a next time!

Of course, there will be one. Don't even think otherwise!
    While I am not going to add much to the critique, i would like to thank you for raising a son who i'd like to thank for his service.
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2012
    Foques wrote: »
    Of course, there will be one. Don't even think otherwise!
    While I am not going to add much to the critique, i would like to thank you for raising a son who i'd like to thank for his service.

thank you - I meant to say if my son will take time to have a next time! :D
  • Options
    YaflyyadieYaflyyadie Registered Users Posts: 558 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2012
    No C/C, just:
    God bless you all.
    Y
  • Options
    CowboydougCowboydoug Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2012
    Im a fan of candid portraits... I often distract my subjects into thinking I am far from ready to take some photos and while they're chatting away I am eyeballing them for just that moment that personifies them... Even if you don't know your subjects these moments will stand out... I'm sure you know what I mean... Also... Get them talking to you or each other
    Sometimes I might let out a "yeah... Click click click... I think I would try that approach. And use a shorter DOF...
    Show us more when you have them...
    I'm a Kidnapper... I take terrible pictures of people, then hold them for ransom.

Cowboydoug
    Certified Journeyman Commercial Photographer
    www.iWasThereToo.com
  • Options
    BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2012
    Nice shots, particularly with 5 minutes of time. My main nit is that I think you should have pulled them further away from the wall if possible so it wouldn't be so sharply in focus.
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2012
    WoW - thanks all for your kind remarks and I am copying all the suggestions for next time.... invaluable info...love it! My son should be home in time for the palo-verde to be in bloom and I have ideas! He best comply! :D