Restoration project

jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
edited July 7, 2012 in People
Good Evening Folks,
Restoration projects can be easy, or sometimes a challenge. The latter is what I was faced with when I restored the following image. The gentleman who gave me the original picture basically just wanted the folded & cracked lines removed, and maybe a little detail (if possible) put back in some of the faces. The original was roughly 5'' square, and when I scanned it, it really looked bad. When all was said and done a little while later, an 8 x 8 was printed, and the gentleman was happier then a hot mule in a cool barn :wink He was even more delighted when I didn't charge him. By the way, he is (was) standing to the right of the seated woman. The picture was taken back in the early 40's. Thanks for looking :thumb
Have a good night :D
Jim...

Comments

• jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2012
    Restoration project
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2012
    You did a wonderful job on the restoratation but I've gotta ask why not charge him?
    edited June 26, 2012
    Restoration project
    Hackbone wrote: »
    You did a wonderful job on the restoratation but I've gotta ask why not charge him?
    Good Evening Charles,
    Thanks for the comment thumb.gif The gentleman was up in years, and as a general rule, I don't charge senior citizens for any type of work like that, or if they want one of my pictures, I'll give them an 8 x 10, or just charge them what I pay for, if they want anything larger. Years ago I did electronic repair, mostly vcr's, stereo units and some tv's. Senior citizens were only charged for parts, if needed, and never for labor. Besides, most of the time I could fix it in less then an hour if no parts were involved. So many people take advantage of the elderly today, when it's not that hard to help them instead. Thanks again thumb.gif
    Jim...
  • slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,215 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2012
    A lovely gesture and a really nice job on the restoration. thumb.gifthumb

Sherry
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2012
    Jim, thanks for doing what is right but feed your family a tad.
  • TinstaflTinstafl Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2012
    Great job on the restoration. Thank you too for your helping seniors. I do the same thing. A little old lady asked me for a print to send her sister. I was shooting a church directory and the photos were being put online and they could order the extras they wanted. A 8x10 came with the sitting and that was the picture put in the directory. I just printed oe up and gave it too hearths next week. Made her happy and who knows if she really did not have a computer. To me the 4-6 print cost 13 cents and I can cover that NE the god press I got was worth it. A couple of families overhear the conversation and offered to pay for it. I declined.
    edited June 26, 2012
    Restoration project
    Good Evening Folks,
    Thanks for all the comments thumb.gif It doesn't really take a whole lot of effort to help anybody, however, some elderly people seem to have a need that a lot of people just ignore. At some point in time, we all become senior citizens. Charles, my full time job provides more then enough to cover my family mwink.gif Photography, editing, etc, is a hobby to me, just like electronic repair. I never intended to get rich or famous from any of that, but rather just have a good time while doing it. Thanks again folks thumb.gif
    Jim...
  • RebelSolRebelSol Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited July 1, 2012
    Wonderful work. I restored a bunch for a memorial album I did when my last remaining grandparent passed away. I did ok. I wish I had your talent for sure. My family loved the books I made for them but would have loved to get some of those photos back to a much better condition. You have a great skill and a wonderful heart!
    edited July 1, 2012
    Restoration project
    RebelSol wrote: »
    Wonderful work. I restored a bunch for a memorial album I did when my last remaining grandparent passed away. I did ok. I wish I had your talent for sure. My family loved the books I made for them but would have loved to get some of those photos back to a much better condition. You have a great skill and a wonderful heart!
    Good Afternoon RS,
    Thanks for the comments thumb.gif The wonderful heart is inherited from my parents. The skill comes from experience, practice and patience. Believe it or not, I'm still learning, and always will be mwink.gif Thanks again thumb.gif
    Enjoy your afternoon :D
    Jim...
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited July 2, 2012
    jgoetz4 wrote: »
    Good Evening Charles,
    Thanks for the comment thumb.gif The gentleman was up in years, and as a general rule, I don't charge senior citizens for any type of work like that, or if they want one of my pictures, I'll give them an 8 x 10, or just charge them what I pay for, if they want anything larger. Years ago I did electronic repair, mostly vcr's, stereo units and some tv's. Senior citizens were only charged for parts, if needed, and never for labor. Besides, most of the time I could fix it in less then an hour if no parts were involved. So many people take advantage of the elderly today, when it's not that hard to help them instead. Thanks again thumb.gif
    Jim...

First off let me say you did a good job on the photo. Also let me say you did a great thing by not gouging your client in the name of profit.

I agree, there are way too many people screwing the senior citizens. My Grandmother had a plumber replace her kitchen faucet. The guy charged her $900 for a standard two handle faucet made of PLASTIC! Had she not been 1100 miles away, I would have done it for her.
  • BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2012
    Beautiful restoration.
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
    edited July 3, 2012
    Restoration project
    Morning Folks,
    Thanks for the comments thumb.gif Jeff, there's no way a plumber should have charged your grandmother that much just to replace a faucet. I feel sorry for her and others who are taken advantaged of by contractors, and scam artists. These miscreants need to be put out of business. Thanks again thumb.gif
    Have a good day :D
    Jim...
  • BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2012
    Nice restoration. And very interesting discussion about charity and seniors, etc. For what it's worth, I'm all in favor of giving away my labor to those in need -- whether they be seniors or others. And I'm all in favor of charging a fair wage to those who aren't in need -- whether they be seniors or others. Not all seniors need our charity, but certainly they shouldn't be charged more than others just because we might be able to get away with it.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2012
    Good Evening Folks,
    Thanks for all the comments thumb.gif It doesn't really take a whole lot of effort to help anybody, however, some elderly people seem to have a need that a lot of people just ignore. At some point in time, we all become senior citizens. Charles, my full time job provides more then enough to cover my family mwink.gif Photography, editing, etc, is a hobby to me, just like electronic repair. I never intended to get rich or famous from any of that, but rather just have a good time while doing it. Thanks again folks thumb.gif
    Jim...

I agree that the work and gesture are awesome.

Now....I have an older Harmon Kardon audio/video reciever that isnt working right.........Think it may be a thermal protection circuit ( I keep it out in my workshop). Ever work on one?
    Laughing.gif
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2012
    Almost a great job. You lost some detail in the shirts, that could easy be drawn back in while still losing some of the scratches.
  • minibitminibit Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited July 6, 2012
    Wonderful job on both counts.
    edited July 6, 2012
    Restoration project
    jeffreaux2 wrote: »
    I agree that the work and gesture are awesome.

Now....I have an older Harmon Kardon audio/video reciever that isnt working right.........Think it may be a thermal protection circuit ( I keep it out in my workshop). Ever work on one?
    Laughing.gif
    Good Afternoon Jeff,
    Thanks for the comment thumb.gif Yes, I have worked on older HK equipment in the past. Why do you think it's a thermal protection problem ? If it keeps blowing fuses, stop right there. By continuously replacing them, there's more likelyhood of additional damage. If that's the problem, then it sounds like an audio output is shorted. Whatever you do, or anybody who reads this, NEVER use aluminum foil as a replacement fuse. Doing so will result in fire, and will damage the equipment severely. Send me a pm with the model number, and exactly what problem(s) you are having, if it's not blowing fuses. Thanks again thumb.gif
    Jim...
    edited July 6, 2012
    Restoration project
    jonh68 wrote: »
    Almost a great job. You lost some detail in the shirts, that could easy be drawn back in while still losing some of the scratches.
    Good Afternoon Jonh68,
    Thanks for the comment thumb.gif I never claimed to be perfect, just helpful mwink.gif Thanks again thumb.gif
    Jim...
  • dixondukedixonduke Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2012
    Well Done! Very nice work on the resto, and thank you for your gesture, (pay it forward behavior), I get it, and appreciate it.
    Duke
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2012
    Good Afternoon Jonh68,
    I never claimed to be perfect, just helpful mwink.gif Thanks again thumb.gif

I didn't assume you were perfect. thumb.gif