Options

DSS# 106 First Idea

PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
edited July 9, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
So many ways Country Spirit can be portrayed... any opinions on these?

1. Some Gave All
DSS106-031-L.jpg

DSS106-048-L.jpg
Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com

Comments

• Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,275 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2012
    That is a lovely idea! It bothers me a bit that you've cropped so closely around the monument. I would either leave more space around the thing, or get closer yet and just show a part of the carvings, maybe the bit where the flag is reflected.
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2012
    I really like the concept - I've been known to take a few of these myself (Washington Monument reflected in Vietnam Memorial, flag reflected in Korea Memorial)

I do agree about the cropping, I love the reflected image of the landscape in the first one, but I'd prefer to have just the field of black marble instead of the frame and surroundings.

In the 2nd picture, the sunlight at the top of the memorial means the reflection doesn't show up, which sort of crops off the top of the flag.
    edited June 27, 2012
    Thanks, I'll see what more I can do with these. The flag is so close to the memorial that you can only get the reflection at a very specific angle ... for #1 I was literally laying on the ground 5 feet away from it, a couple inches moved in any direction and it's gone. I was using my widest lens and barely got the whole monument in. I do like the idea of eliminating the frame and surroundings so I'll go back and see if I can zoom in that way.
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2012
    went back tonight and shot the monument some more... of course got home and realized that I should have used a smaller aperture. :( May need to go back and get some where the flag is more crisp in the reflection. But, here is a close up (no frame) shot.

DSS106-038-L.jpg
  • Options
    rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2012
    This last one I really like... And what I was going to suggest when looking at the first few...!!
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,275 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2012
    I agree....I REALLY like this last one
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    sweetharmonysweetharmony Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2012
    I think for me it's the last one, too! The reflected colours sure do pop.....
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2012
    Thanks guys... Hard choices this time around for me. I like the newest reflection in the monument... but I got the best fireworks shots ever (for me) on the 4th. I'm thinking of entering my favorite of those shots...

4. Independence Day on the Bay
    July4th2012-123-L.jpg
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2012
    Oh yes, #4.
  • Options
    cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2012
    Great catch!
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.