Options

Big Bang soup (not photography-related but some people could be interested)

Comments

• Options
    EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2012
    Whoa! That was deep. And using terms I never heard.
  • Options
    marionetmarionet Registered Users Posts: 382 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2012
    Yeah, most of this stuff is pretty much beyond me, too. Kind of like watching a football game- I miss most of what's going on because I don't really know what I'm seeing, and there's no way I could do anything if I were on the field except get killed; but I love to watch it happen. Lol, I felt buoyed and elated for 2 days when the top quark was discovered in 1995. Particle physics and astrophysics seem to be sort of like Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum; if you're at all interested in this kind of thing, I can definitely recommend History Channel's "The Universe", Bell Telephone's "The Strange Case of the Cosmic Rays" and Stephen Hawking's "A Brief History of Time". "The Universe" and "Cosmic Rays" (broadcast in 1957 [!}) are in Netflix ("The Universe" is streaming). "A Brief History of Time" is an inexpensive paperback and not so hard to understand except that I can't really seem to comprehend space-time fabric.

They've been looking for the Higgs boson for about 70 years, and it looks like there's a good chance they've found it- http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-18677808
    This degree of verification is enough to start an aggressive drive to quantifying and qualifying dark matter and dark energy; if the LHC gets 5 sigmas on it, the drive will probably turn into a stampede. Lol, we mortals may never know how it all works, but what a rush it is to try to figure it out! And hey, Maybe another Isaac Newton or Albert Einstein will pop up some time to make us all feel stupid and tell us what's going on.
  • Options
    edited September 25, 2012
    At the risk of beating a dead horse- the first James Webb mirrors delivered to NASA http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19717177 Lol, I waited eagerly for 28 years for Halley's Comet's reappearance and was aghast at what a dud it was, but I think the James Webb will be all it's cracked up to be.
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2012
    Big Frikkin' Deal . . .
    "They found that the proton-sized dollops of plasma had the characteristics of a nearly perfect liquid rather than a gas." Meh . . . I have a bottle of 18-year-old Macallan that comes close enough to being a nearly perfect liquid for me. rolleyes1.gif
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2012
    Absolutely! And it makes sheep's coats shiny and it's also effective against athlete's foot.

My personal fav is ABC's house brand vodka- does the job with no muss and fuss.