denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited June 27, 2012
    That is truly frightening.

Stay safe.

--- Denise
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited June 27, 2012
    Very sad. Every bright spec in that photo is a $700,000+ house that's gone. Hundreds of them.

My sister's home is up the highway along the north side of Hwy. 24. :cry WP was evacuated at 11:41 this morning, along with 1/2 of Teller Co. Douglas County is now in pre-evac.

http://kdvr.com/2012/06/26/waldo-canyon-fire-grows-thousands-remain-evacuated/

http://cograilway.com/Summit/summitcam.jpg

This fire perimeter map is always 1 day lapsed, so it has burned far beyond this anytime you load it.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2012
    I just got this automated email reply from one of the directors of USA Cycling, in reply to an email I had sent them.

"Due to nearby fire, the northwest portion of Colorado Springs which is home to the headquarters of USA Cycling is under mandatory evacuation, therefore our office will be closed until further notice."

GaryB<?xml:namespace prefix = o />
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2012
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Very sad. Every bright spec in that photo is a $700,000+ house that's gone. Hundreds of them.

Does it really matter how much the homes cost?
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited June 30, 2012
    No, it doesn't, of course. It was just one of the newer built places in CS, and some years past, when they were building up there I was saying to myself that the ridge wasn't a place I'd put a home, knowing what can happen out there when these fire storms hit. My sister's house is backed up to the Pike Nat'l Forest in W.P., and that's just as dicey of a place to build too. They escaped the Hayman fire by the skin of their teeth. I wouldn't doubt that if they skate by this one and the rest of the summer season, that they might deliberate moving out of the heavily forested zone.

The last couple days have been good for the fire fighters and the area. Very glad about that, and hope they can get enough ahead of it to keep more from going up.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    MntnKarieMntnKarie Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited June 30, 2012
    Bummer about your sister's place David. Yeah, people get this "romantic" idea of living in the forest, but wild fires
    happen all the time. I'm up in F.C. and sadly Col Springs just surpassed us by being the most devastating fire
    in Colorado history and it only took a few days for that to happen and our fire is still burning. We lost another
    house up here as well. We're well over 200 homes up in flames, countless wildlife and habitat with a human
    fatality.

But we have drought, years of beetle killed pines and humans encroaching into wilderness.

Looks like a long summer and a bummer for nature photography.

Everyone stay safe and pray for rain for the Western U.S.